Bought some monk shoes but no idea what to wear with them

(18 Posts)
Mandy2003 Wed 06-Mar-13 12:22:41

Following press comments that heels are dead, flats are in and monk or nun shoes are the way to go, I got some black t-bar flats. 99% of the time over the winter I've worn straight leg jeans or yoga pants but not sure where to go with these.

Due to a leg injury I don't wear short skirts so I'm going to look like I've taken religious orders aren't I? I've been thinking cropped trousers but can only go 10cm above the ankle. Also, can't wear fitted waistbands as I have a hernia awaiting an op. I'm 5'4" and apple shaped. Is there any hope for me out there?!

ShowOfHands Wed 06-Mar-13 12:24:41

Monk shoes? Monk shoes?

<racks databases>

I've got fish. Or religious man. I haven't go shoes. This, this is why I'm not allowed on S&B.

Mandy2003 Wed 06-Mar-13 14:38:15

Sorry I was just running out the door when I posted. These are what I bought. This is VB wearing her SS13 line

Monkfish - omnomnomnom ShowOfHands [smile_

wrongsideoftheroad Wed 06-Mar-13 20:57:35

Those are some fugly shoes.

What to wear with them? A disguise.

ihatethecold Wed 06-Mar-13 21:01:22

Do you still have the receipt? shockgrin

SarkyPants Wed 06-Mar-13 21:34:13

A very very very very very long skirt?

I like them, in fact I had a pair 23 years ago! Although I can't think what I woud wear with them now, cigarette trousers?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cerealqueen Wed 06-Mar-13 21:54:41

A school uniform or a nun's habit.

They look like what I wore in primary school in the 70s. Sorry

JumpHerWho Thu 07-Mar-13 11:31:36

Oh no... they're awful, really awful... sorry OP but I had to join the chorus.

They're nothing like VB's ones confused monk shoes are meant to have that single buckle, and a manly shape, not a T-bar and an orthopaedic heel blush sorry!

joliejolie Thu 07-Mar-13 11:36:53

Pilgrim shoes.

BanoffeeSplitz Thu 07-Mar-13 11:46:21

I really love the side buckle flat shoes that VB has - I wore these to school in the early 80s, with drainpipes & granny skirts. These are what I understand monk shoes to be.
Now - I think they would look good with slim ankle grazing trousers (not 3/4 length crops) or maybe dark tights & skirt or plainish shift dress: sort of hint of convent girl. Or wear with anything you would wear brogues with.
If you can get away with retro, cropped dungarees & round brimmed hat like Bananarama wink.

The T-bars - which are not monk shoes - are in danger of looking little girly, so I wouldn't even wear them with a skirt, only with very severe & grown up looking trousers.

Startail Thu 07-Mar-13 11:47:42

Those are to ugly even to give to DD1 as school shoes, sorry. Our dear Catholic nuns might have worn them, but I can't think of anyone else.

Vbs shoes are ok. Manly and strong, worn in an almost ironic way, would look good with dresses. If you wear the shoes you've bought with a skirt you will probably look like a nun. Sorry. I don't think they're the same at all

RightUpMyRue Thu 07-Mar-13 11:52:36

"A very very very very very long skirt? "

LOL grin

KatzenStein Thu 07-Mar-13 14:55:56

I'm sorry OP, but those are truly fugly shoes! They are worst than the awful school shoes my mother used to make me wear when I was 9 grin

I cannot see a single redeeming feature about them - I don't even think they'd be comfortable as they'd make you walk like a duck!

Please tell me you are having a laugh with us??

But to answer your question - with a bag on my head!

mum47 Thu 07-Mar-13 14:57:49

I think that is the first time I have ever seen VB in flat shoes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now