Is it really worth buying expensive shampoo?

(67 Posts)

I look like a scarecrow and can't work out whether it's diet (I get my five a day), tiredness, lack of water, hard water in area I live, cheap shampoo or what! I had a haircut in December which wasn't a good one and looks even more atrocious now, but I need to grow it out a bit more I think before getting another cut.
In the meantime, is there something magical out there that will transform tresses so I don't have to hide under a beanie hat? I've been using Tresemme but wouldn't bother buying it again.

SteIIaBeIIa Fri 15-Feb-13 14:36:18

Sounds like I have hair like you OP. Cheap shampoo doesn't work for my hair. It would be like washing my hair with fairy liquid.

I used Ojon, Kerastase or Phyto shampoos and I like them all. Ojon is my current favourite. I try and hide it from the rest of the family but they all love it!

Naoko Fri 15-Feb-13 14:39:48

I really think it is about finding the right one for your hair. I'm too tight broke to be spending silly amounts on shampoo and I hate how conditioner makes my hair feel. I used 69p Tesco own brand for a while but didn't get on with it, now I use the Vosene anti-dandruff one (as that is a problem I have sad ). People comment on how soft and shiny and bouncy my hair is. Last time I had it cut the hairdresser said 'I love cutting your hair, it's in such good condition and so nice to work with, it feels nice' so that sub-2quid shampoo must be doing something right. I'm sure expensive shampoo can be worth it, but as long as the cheap one's working I'll not be remortgaging the cat to pay for it....

TurnipCake Fri 15-Feb-13 14:41:51

Percy and Reed make a product called No Oil Oil specifically for fine hair, it sounds like quite nice pre-styling (and you can put it in the roots too). It isn't cheap - I've bought some of their products before in a smaller size to try out, they may sell a smaller version of this elsewhere smile

Linky

wildfig Fri 15-Feb-13 15:58:37

Annoyingly, Liz Earle Shampoo and conditioner seems to have transformed my curly, colour-treated fine hair from a frizzy mess into a glossy mane, and I've had everything, from Aveda to Ojon, as well as the usual Boots selection of salon brands. They're £8.50 each but at least I know what to ask for at xmas/birthdays.

Megsdaughter Fri 15-Feb-13 16:04:28

John Frieda Brilliant Brunette here as well shampoo and condtioner.

Plus JF Frizee serum and JF 3 day straight spray.

It is brilliant on my thin fly away hair.

SoYo Fri 15-Feb-13 17:37:57

Oh actually yes, I agree with wildfig about Liz Earle, they're worth the money....glossy locks and smell amazing!

Dancergirl Fri 15-Feb-13 17:52:55

NO, they all have the same basic ingredients.

A boy at uni used to wash his hair in fairy liquid and his hair looked fantastic! But we did have the advantage of being Chemistry students!

maisiejoe123 Fri 15-Feb-13 19:42:24

Turnip - I had my hair cut recently by Percy and Reed... Saw a Spice Girl too there having her hair done. Very down to earth salon.

Callycat Fri 15-Feb-13 20:30:00

I used to work in a large cosmetics research facility. The inside word from the shampoo department was that for people with fine hair, actually cheap own-brand stuff is far better. The fancy stuff (like the stuff that this company made) is really only better if you have thick hair. Expensive stuff is only expensive because it contains silicones, oils and pearlisers - all of which are great for thick hair, but will make fine hair look lank.

And no, I ain't saying which company it was grin

perplexedpirate Fri 15-Feb-13 20:47:11

I use a cooking grade solid oil (it melts in your hands), but I reckon any of them will do the trick.
Good luck!

TorrieLou Sat 16-Feb-13 09:05:48

I would recommend Trevor Sorbie. I bought a whole gift set reduced in the Boots xmas sale for £7. The stuff in the pink bottles is for fine flyaway limp hair and fine using that and the heat protector and cream stuff you put on before blow drying really help.

Thanks Cally and Dancer brilliant to get the insider /scientist slant in here! I guess I'll just have to keep trying some of the different recommended ones on this thread and hopefully find one that works. I've got a salon mousse in today and spent time styling - for once DH was home so DCs weren't meddling with my hairdryer. It does look a lot better I have to say... But who has the time everyday?!

ConfuzzledMummy Sat 16-Feb-13 12:59:46

John Frieda is brilliant, I'm using bed head dumb blonde at the moment with the mega nutrient conditioner, I've not made my mind up about this yet. But i also love Dove, and the black L'Oreal Elvive is very good.

nogoodusernamesleft Sat 16-Feb-13 13:07:24

Full head of bleached white hair here! grin I buy the huge bottles of Joico shampoo and conditioner from TK Maxx, they cost about £8.99 a bottle in there. Then a bit of Moroccan oil on damp hair after washing - is keeping mine in fairly good condition with few split ends.

Viviennemary Sat 16-Feb-13 13:13:54

I mostly use Pantenne. And try to get it when there is an offer on. They changed things just recently which was a bit annoying. I don't like really cheap supermarket shampoo. But DH reckons there is no difference. But he would say that. I've never really used expensive stuff. I don't like that tressame at all. Horrible gloopy stuff.

Viviennemary Sat 16-Feb-13 13:15:25

Just a thought. You could try these special vitamin pills especially for hair. I've havent' tried them but have seen them. Worth a go.

notquitenormal Sat 16-Feb-13 13:35:41

I have lots of fine, quite oily, dark blonde hair and use albero balsam green apple...which is often about 1 pound for two bottles. I've tried lots of pricier shampoos but find that they work great at first but soon end up making my hair greasier and very dull. Silicone at work, I expect.

I use a teeny tiny amount, rinse well, apply a drop of conditioning oil after and avoid heat styling. My hair is in very nice condition.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now