At 50, what am I supposed to wear?

(90 Posts)
Eliza22 Sun 10-Feb-13 19:09:47

I was 50 last year and I'm a good stone overweight so, need to tackle that, I know.

I've no idea what to wear. I feel old fashioned and don't feel good in jeans (I have some but rarely wear). Any 50+ ladies who can advise. I feel like crawling into a wolf fleece and retiring from public view.

Eliza22 Fri 15-Feb-13 18:52:58

And.... Have a bright pink lippy which is a summer wear, for me. Have it on today and a bit more colour generally and the hair looks..... Ok-ish. Not happy with it, but you're all right, it WILL grow!

Eliza22 Fri 15-Feb-13 18:49:44

Bonsoir the Tara Jarmon site looks lovely but is beyond my price range even in the sale!
Greyvix thanks, love.... I was on holiday, relaxed and a bit of a tan. Roll in Spring!
wordfactory you're right about Nigella and, by all accounts, she's very high maintenance in the "getting ready" department. Perhaps that's it..... As we age, it's takes more to look good. smile. My DH has a passion for Nigella, too!

wordfactory Fri 15-Feb-13 18:33:56

OP, Nigella is 50 and a stone overweight grin.

You need to decide which items really make you confident and buy more of them!

greyvix Fri 15-Feb-13 18:15:51

OP, you look fantastic (I am 50+ and wish I looked as good as you). I think we need to cultivate elegance, which works well with short hair. Dresses are comfortable and flattering, well most of the time.

SirEdmundFrillary Fri 15-Feb-13 17:51:46

I can think of a few more things women need to do as they age and they don't involve colour and accessories. Cross face.

Bonsoir Fri 15-Feb-13 17:44:58

Oh gosh, poor you with the wrong haircut sad. I agree with others, though - it will grow out more quickly than you think. If you aren't feeling good about your hair, now is probably not the time to buy new clothes and in any case the SS13 stuff is only just coming into the shops.

I think that women need to wear more colour and more accessories as they age. I have bought several things in Tara Jarmon recently and am very happy with them. I also really like Marni (more expensive) and Sofie d'Hoore.

GeorginaWorsley Fri 15-Feb-13 17:29:15

Agree lipstick and more make up to counter act hairstyle.
I hate it when hairdressers do that.
Had it happen to me about 10 years ago and have had it long ever since then.

poppy283 Fri 15-Feb-13 17:29:09

I see a lot of stylish 50-somethings where I live, the look is usually slim or straight leg jeans or muted-colour twill trousers, converse or similar, hip length mac, neutral layered crew neck tops and a statement necklace.

WildThong Fri 15-Feb-13 16:59:21

I know Planet isn't for everyone, but I love their jersey stuff, treggings and wrap dresses etc, especially for work. On here there are massive discounts and I have had a good few good quality bits. I got a pure silk tunic recently down to £19, lovely with boots and cropped jacket.

Sonotkylie Fri 15-Feb-13 16:13:45

How about a bit more make up (feminising I tell myself), particularly lipstick, to minimise effect of haircut? Mine can feel a bit shorn when its first done and lippie perks me up. That, and hats (i'm not joking!). Maybe the manic knickers would help?

notforthefainthearted Fri 15-Feb-13 10:47:57

Oh no Eliza, a bad haircut is a nightmare! It will grow fairly quickly though, hopefully you will feel happier about it soon.

I wear glasses too all the time and am not happy with them really, they are too square for my face but I can't afford new ones at the moment as I need varifocals and they cost several hundred pounds or more!

I desperately need a haircut but keep putting it off as I'm not sure what I want. It's very long at the moment and needs colouring as the grey is showing through (my hair's dark brown). I'm contemplating having it cut to just above shoulder length but as it's frizzy and curly, the weight has been dragging out the curls a bit, leaving more of a wave and I know if I have it cut it will bounce back up - the problem is it bounces on top and at the front, but the back hangs almost straight and the underneath part too. I dislike myself when it's straightened which is all the hairdresser ever recommends when I ask for a change!

Eliza22 Fri 15-Feb-13 10:33:52

bonsoir my hair's a mouse blonde with highlights (pics on profile) and its usually my one dead cert for looking ok as I don't have to dry it, just wash and leave toots own devices. However, had it cut last week and in an effort to save a bit of cash, my lovely hairdresser responded to my "shorter hair's expensive having to cut it every 4 weeks or so..... Can you take a tiny bit extra off this time?" with a frenzied scissor sesh, which has left me with what feels like a 'bovver boy' half inch, over my entire head. I was speechless when I left and couldn't give her eye contact. That's how shock I was!! My son cried when he saw it and my husband was speechless. I look like a bloody convict. Actually, maybe, it's the hair that's triggered this feeling of "frump"!

Only wear reading glasses and occasionally for tv.... When I can find the things. My ds who's an Aspie and loves order, is always moving stuff around it where it should be and I often have to hunt for the specs. My glasses are both fairly new and suit me, I think.

Bonsoir Fri 15-Feb-13 10:10:07

Definitely, definitely lose the weight. Extra kilos are far harder to dress than age!

What colour is your hair? Your skin? Do you wear glasses and, if so, do you like them?

notforthefainthearted Fri 15-Feb-13 09:45:29

Just had a look at Phase Eight website and quite like their dresses, although expensive if not in the sale. Not sure about Boden, haven't looked for a while, will have to have another look.

Manic knickers sound fun!!

goingmadinthecountry Thu 14-Feb-13 21:38:38

Eliza22, manic knickers sound like much more fun!

goingmadinthecountry Thu 14-Feb-13 21:37:25

I'm 49. For the first time, I feel I kind of have a style that works for me.

I have recently embraced dresses - less to think about! For work (teaching) Boden or phase 8 sale dresses - as plain as possible - with boots, cardigan and necklace or tunic top with (quality) leggings. All because of my job washable and usually jersey.

I normally find loads I like in White Company but nothing at all for me in there yesterday - lots of grey which washes me out, and beige/taupe whatever does too, as much as I wish it made me look elegant and lovely.

Dresses too (lower cut) for going out with good accessories. I tend not to wear high heels because I'm taller than lots of my friends. Have loads in the wardrobe though. I also do wide legged trousers.

Jeans are not my friend (when I lose weight they may be but not great) but lovely coats are.

notforthefainthearted Thu 14-Feb-13 20:30:46

LOL

I managed to lose a stone eating no carbs, sugar, caffeine or alcohol but struggling with that now in the winter.

I also struggle with colours, prefer to wear grey or light brown tops, some mid blue but nothing vivid.

Eliza22 Thu 14-Feb-13 16:42:52

Oh dear....iPad doing its own thing again.

"I hate my magic knickers"
"Hence, the "sticking to it this time" running thing.
"The whole BULK shifts" of course grin

higgle Thu 14-Feb-13 16:42:17

I always select what I am going to buy from Toast/Brora early on in the season then buy it in the sale. I've just had a Brora tunic dress for £59 ( down from £109) and a top for £29. Quite a lot of the better makes have really genuine sales where they get rid of all the old stock with progressive price cuts.

Eliza22 Thu 14-Feb-13 16:13:42

God, I hate my manic knickers! He se the 'sticking to it this time' running thing. When I wear said hold your gut in undies, I'm really aware that the whole bulk shits. I guess it has to go somewhere but they seem to create saddlebags of quite some magnitude. I've stopped wearing 'em as frankly, I'd rather try to haul my gut in than have bits squelching out the side grin

notforthefeinthearted you sound ok, to me. You've only a 34" back, albeit with an excellent chest. I'm a pear so, have always had a waist but I'm like one of those kids books, the ostrich's head, the giraffe's middle and the elephant's rear.

soaccidentprone really like the Next wedge ankle boot and the final John Lewis blue wrap dress. Thanks for the links!

notforthefainthearted Thu 14-Feb-13 15:48:03

What annoys me is that I have no waist. I never had much of one, as a teenager and in my twenties I was straight up and down, now I'm just fatter and straight up and down!! I'm a size 34E chest and tend to wear deep V necks or scoop necks and the wrap dresses should give me more shape but they don't seem to do so.

Does anyone have shapewear that give you a waist? I have some that flatten my stomach but they still don't seem to give me a waist really.

notforthefainthearted Thu 14-Feb-13 15:31:37

Today I'm wearing wrap dress, kneelength with opague tights and hooded chunky long navy cardigan, knee length flat boots. That's the sort of thing I prefer, along with (long) tunics and leggings with knee length boots, but I struggle to find the dresses. I have just two I like, they are jersey material and so soft.

notforthefainthearted Thu 14-Feb-13 15:29:55

Well done Eliza, I don't really do exercising, just walk the dog. I have bad knees and hip so don't jog. Thought about joining the gym but can't really afford to join and not go and not sure I have time - I don't get everything done as it is!

I hope when the weather improves I might get out and walk more with the dog though. I also think it'll be easier to eat sensibly and healthily when the weather improves. All I crave at the moment is sugar and carbs!!

this

worn with these

and these?

complete bargain

wear with these

wear this with a navy stretch blazer

another bargain

I really like this

anyway - go for quality rather than quantity. sleeves are your friend. if you find something you really like and it suits you the buy 2 (maybe in different colours).

don't buy things which end mid bum or mid calf as these will accentuate your bad bits. scoop necks are v flattering. ruching in the right place can accentuate good bits and hide bad bits.

don't buy dry clean only, or clothes which are too fussy.

and get measured for a well fitting bra - John lewis are good, but DO NOT get measured at m&sgrin

Eliza22 Thu 14-Feb-13 09:21:48

grin. Should say, I had the Hobbs frock shortened to just above knee as it felt dowdy at mid shin length. It became something I wore often instead of rarely, with one simple "cut"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now