Stains on my teeth

(21 Posts)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my dentist told me that staining IS actually harmful, not just cosmetic. Apparently stains create microscopic ridges which bacteria love to hang out in.

Also if anyone is using Corsodyl mouth wash for gingivitis, this can create staining too which can ironically make the gingivitis worse, so don't use it for too long, and get to the hygienist for polishing. <speaks from bitter experience>

CointreauVersial Sun 10-Feb-13 00:59:05

Don't like the idea of sensitive teeth from bleaching strips; that must mean it's making the teeth more porous.

Damn it, I'm going to book a hygienist appointment. Bet she nags me about not flossing enough.....

Thanks for your help.

bettybleep Sun 10-Feb-13 00:17:31

Don't some medicines, such as antibiotics, cause stained teeth? Or does that only apply to children?

drmummmsy Sat 09-Feb-13 23:52:40

these are very effective compare.ebay.co.uk/like/221164230665?var=lv<yp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla&crdt=0

although they did give me sensitive teeth which i didn't have previously hmm

Helpyourself Sat 09-Feb-13 23:39:35

No really! blush

Helpyourself Sat 09-Feb-13 23:39:04

Go to the hygienist! Best, most dramatic effect money I spend on my appearance.

Helpyourself Sat 09-Feb-13 23:38:45

Go to the hygienist! Best, most dramatic effect money I spend on my appearance.

timidviper Sat 09-Feb-13 23:36:29

I got a Philips Sonicare toothbrush and reckon my teeth are way whiter now than when I used the old OralB electric toothbrush and tooth whitener gel from the dentist.

JumpingJackSprat Sat 09-Feb-13 23:32:08

i was going to say eucryl too, love the stuff!

NoelHeadbands Sat 09-Feb-13 23:26:50

Bleach won't shift the stain funnily enough, you would think it'd be the best thing wouldn't you?

I think the best course of action would be a hygienist appt, whitening toothpaste and avoidance of the stain culprit!

CointreauVersial Sat 09-Feb-13 23:08:35

Cerealqueen - that looks good! Worth a try at that price (assuming it won't sand down my teeth).

CointreauVersial Sat 09-Feb-13 23:06:10

Also, it is only a recent thing (am 46).

cerealqueen Sat 09-Feb-13 23:06:10

this?

I think Superdrug sell them too.

CointreauVersial Sat 09-Feb-13 23:05:28

Oral B electric Toothbrush - check
Oral B Whitening toothpaste - check (DH works for the company grin )

MrsM, you are probably right, I should "bite" the bullet and make an appointment. Having said that, I don't expect the stains are harmful, just cosmetic. Annoying, though.

MrsMorton Sat 09-Feb-13 22:32:57

As a dentist, I would recommend an oral B electric toothbrush with something like either macleans whitening or oral B pro expert toothpaste. I have 4 black coffees and 10+ teas per day as well as red wine etc etc (not on a school night!!) and no staining at all.

A hygienist visit is less than a facial but is actually (scientifically!!) beneficial to your oral health so...!

FudgyFanjo Sat 09-Feb-13 22:10:11

No personal experience but I read recently about bicarbonate of soda helping to remove stains. I think you just use it neat and scrub as you would with normal toothpaste...perhaps you could investigate further on the net?

CointreauVersial Sat 09-Feb-13 21:48:56

Argh, sorry, forgot to revisit thread....

Yes, I do use an electric toothbrush. And whitening toothpaste.

Aren't there bleachy-type products you can use, or are they bad for the teeth?

MrsMorton Sat 09-Feb-13 16:43:36

Do you use an electric toothbrush?

BerryBlast Sat 09-Feb-13 15:05:10

Eucryl toothpowder is very good for shifting stains and is cheap - I usually get mine from the Pound shop or Savers.

vjg13 Sat 09-Feb-13 13:57:34

Not much help but you should see the hygienist at least every 6 months, ideally more. Not usually too expensive.

CointreauVersial Sat 09-Feb-13 13:39:22

I've recently developed a few stains on my front teeth, probably from drinking too much wine tea, and it's bugging me. I'm sure no-one else has noticed, but it is slowly getting worse. In the past, my NHS dentist used to do a quick polish whenever I went for a checkup, but he's stopped doing it. Apparently you now have to make (and pay for) a special appointment with a hygienist.

Any suggestions for a miracle product that will shift the stains so I don't have to resort to expensive trips to a hygienist? Don't suggest whitening toothpaste because I have used it for ages to no effect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now