What's your key pieces....

(34 Posts)
milkwagon Thu 07-Feb-13 23:33:51

...for spring/summer casual wardrobe? I'm fed up of buying shorts/t shirts/dresses/linen trousers in places like New Look which only seem to last me 5 mins or fall apart in the washing machine. It seems like false economy atm. So, with this in mind I was wondering what & where you would spend out on for key pieces - to add tops/flip flops/pumps etc from other shops that won't break the bank but can bring classic/key pieces up to trend?

GeorginaWorsley Sun 10-Feb-13 21:48:02

Oh forgot am inpressed with Cos linen mix tees as well

Pale yellow skinnies
White skinnies
Linen t shirts
Thin white shirts
Cropped linen jacket
Hasbeens/ tan wedges
Denim short sleeved shirt dress
Navy linen dress
Neutral tailored flat fronted shorts
Navy tailored flat fronted shorts

And I'll probably get a slouchy jumper or two

GeorginaWorsley Sun 10-Feb-13 21:45:09

For me,
7/8 trousers,Boden Bistro trousers actually blush
White jeans/straight legs
Jersey dresses,French Connection,Oasis,plain Boden,White Company
White vests,Sainsburys,Primark,White Company
Linen knits,Phase Eight/Zara
wedges,Clarks,Dorothy Perkins,Marks

monkeysmama Sun 10-Feb-13 21:36:51

Ripped boyfriend jeans
Dungarees grin
Silver Hasbeens
Grey & yellow Baukjen biker jacket
Not sure what else yet

Had never looked before. I also tried a 'small' t-shirt in Whistles, which was equally ridiculously sized.

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 10-Feb-13 21:22:10

Yes their jersey stuff is crazy big. The linen biker was pretty true to size though. Was surprised as generally its not a make that fits me well.

Thanks. smile

I tried a very reduced Fahri top on today but even in the small it was enormous (and I am not small!).

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 10-Feb-13 20:48:01

There's a 25% off code for warehouse I posted on a thread earlier.

I got my Farhi one reduced but is very nice.

Thank you - Dotty P's more my budget at the mo though! Am hoping that Warehouse might get their spring line right, as I think their stuff is a bit more me than most high street, but still affordable.

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 10-Feb-13 20:36:43

Remus - I got a gorgeous navy linen biker from Farhi last year.

I will mostly be wearing:

- white skinnies
- faded skinnies
- linen biker
- pretty tops
- zara white spring coat
- anya mini gracie in cobalt
- oh and hasbeens again

moondog Sun 10-Feb-13 20:27:45

That's my philosophy.
I don't buy too much stuff but try and make it good quality.
Just bought a new pair of Hobbs boots.
Considering I have worn the last pair I got from there for five years every winter and they still look great, I can justify it.

baskingseals Sun 10-Feb-13 20:22:58

thanks moondog, will try and justify them. have decided to try and stop buying primark, and start with proper stuff.

Thanks Hopefully - will keep an eye out.

moondog Sun 10-Feb-13 10:30:49

Yes, when weather dictates.
I wear them and walk a fair bit in them.
No problem at all.

baskingseals Sun 10-Feb-13 08:27:44

like the look of the hasbeens.

are they honestly comfortable? are you still wearing them after 4 years?

Hopefully Sun 10-Feb-13 08:17:08

Remus I got them from DP last year, but there were a few versions around. Suspect they'll be back again given all the knitted/felted bikers over winter.

Hopefully - where are your linen bikers from?

moondog Sat 09-Feb-13 20:08:14

Kandy, I bought a pair of Hasbeens Sky Highs about 4 years ago (thanks to MN) and I bloody love them.
They aren't heavy.

MarshaBrady Sat 09-Feb-13 19:58:50

For spring summer

Cropped skinnies, usually MiH Paris - going for off white
Ballet flats going for blush this year
A few ts, J Crew and Marni

Going to get a lightweight summer shirt
A dress and a skirt, not sure what yet

KandyBarr Sat 09-Feb-13 19:56:41

I love the look of Swedish Hasbeens lacy sandals for spring. But are they really wearable? Don't you just clomp along in agony, dragging huge wooden weights beneath your blistered feet? Or does the sole flex somehow? I just can't decide whether to risk it.

Otherwise, I'm angling for a DVF Julian Two dress and this blouse from Zara (but not the lederhosen).

Hopefully Sat 09-Feb-13 19:26:25

I always struggle so much in summer -lightweight flimsy fabrics don't suit me, which isn't a great start...

I tend to go for things like:

- Wide legged but not floppy cotton/linen mix sailor pant type trousers
- I would quite like a v wide striped breton, but have yet to find the perfect one in my colours
- longline racer back vests with chino shorts or jeans
- racer back maxi dresses (can you tell I've found a shape that works for me?)
- I wore my linen biker jackets to death last year, will probably coax them out again
- silk/cashmere mix scarves - good for adding warmth, but light enough that they don't cook you if the sun suddenly emerges.

Snowkey Sat 09-Feb-13 17:51:11

And lots of linen tshirts.

Snowkey Sat 09-Feb-13 17:49:58

Boyfriend jeans worn with pretty tops and heels for going out; worn with boots slouchy jumpers, vest tops day time - am loving lemon, grey and pale denim.

milkwagon Sat 09-Feb-13 17:37:36

Thanks folks! I need to get out of wearing board/walk shorts & 'comedy' t-shirts as the surfer look just isn't doing it for me these days, I'm 34 and now have a baby daughter. I saw a couple of nice knee length patterned skirts in White Stuff, so think I'll get these and some plain cheapy vests, couple of cardis and a neutral pashmina. I also saw a nice empire line dress in Fat Face. I love my black Birkenstocks & Supergas so think these will still look ok. I think I'll also get a plain black maxi dress that I can accessorise with a colourful long beaded necklace I have - and can wear the cardis & pashmina with it. Will check out Next for linen trousers. I love chinos but have a couple of pairs collecting dust because they just don't look right! I'm fairly short and curvy so any suggestions where I can go for these would be grand!grin Think I'll prob suit some that are well tailored iykwim otherwise I just look like a sack of potatoes hmm

My plan for summer is cropped or ankle skimming jeans, a handful of lovely slouchy tee, some really amazing flat Balenciaga sandals and rayban wayfarers.

I suspect the reality will be looking at said sandals wistfully as I pull on a pair of Supergas to wade through the puddles, while wearing pretty much all the stuff I'm wearing now (hopefully) minus the duvet coat

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now