Facials - worth the money?

(9 Posts)
HeavenlyWineandRoses Tue 05-Feb-13 04:10:10

I am on maternity leave so money is tight. I have a £100 gift voucher for a very smart salon and wonder whether I should use it on practical stuff like waxing over the summer or treat myself to a facial. Does your skin look and feel significantly better after one or are they just nice and relaxing with no lasting effects.

Also, i tHought it might be nice to have it on my birthday as a bit of a treat but would that mean blotchy / red skin that evening?

issimma Tue 05-Feb-13 06:16:23

I've only ever had one, and found it a bit meh. Think you need one every few weeks to see the benefit.
I'd use the voucher on a massage or shellac mani/pedi.
Enjoy grin

Pinkflipflop Tue 05-Feb-13 06:44:04

I don't really rate facials, sorry! I have had quite a few and have always been underwhelmed despite the therapists excitement at my glowing skin!

I think you can do just as good if not better job yourself if you buy the right products; I recently bought a liz Earle salon experience set from QVC and it is fantastic! £45 and I can have facials for months!

If I were you I would spend the money on a massage, waxing or manicures!

Am very jealous!!

novelsituation Tue 05-Feb-13 06:48:52

I've never had a facial that was worth the money. Another vote here for manicures / pedicures.

HeavenlyWineandRoses Tue 05-Feb-13 09:29:45

Thank you. I will save it for the summer and have some nice manicures and pedicures instead.

MrsBertMacklin Tue 05-Feb-13 10:20:05

I use facials to 'reset' my skin if it's particularly stressed/sore, etc. If you don't have any concerns with yours, I'd put the voucher towards a different treat.

Curtsey Tue 05-Feb-13 10:26:13

I think they are worthwhile but only if you do them regularly - and agree that you can do a simliar job yourself at home if you're canny about it. I've had microdermabrasion in the past and felt it was worth it - if I had the time and pots of money to commit to a programme of microdermabrasion I'd probably do so!

But in your position, would spend it on waxes and a lash tint.

EuroShagmore Tue 05-Feb-13 10:32:43

I've never had one that I thought was worth it. I'd rather sit in the bath at home with a facemask on, tbh. I love massages though. I'm not keen on manis - all that digging away at my cuticiles just makes me feel a bit nauseous!

PETRONELLAS Tue 05-Feb-13 20:50:57

I was always a bit sceptical about facials but then had an amazing one that included a head/shoulder massage and a hand massage. Was somewhere quite posh but honestly made me feel like a different person; I was sleep deprived and feeling very grey everywhere. It relaxed me beyond belief and left my face feeling healthier and looking 'glowy'. The actual facial effect lasted a short while but the massage stuff really had a longer term effect. I go to a cheapish place for Shellac manicures and waxes but think a decent facial 'experience' is best done somewhere where you know it's going to be good. Lucky you with vouchers...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now