Girls' sandals- need some forward planning

(41 Posts)
tethersend Fri 01-Feb-13 14:37:31

Last year I foolishly let 3yo DD choose her own sandals to make up for the fact that she'd just got a baby sister.

She chose these.

I CANNOT LET THAT HAPPEN AGAIN.

I need to plan ahead, like a military operation, and take her only to shops selling sandals which aren't so ugly they'd make baby Jesus cry.

Can anybody help? She's a size 9/10

Extra points if they light up.

ArtexMonkey Sat 02-Feb-13 14:40:38

My dd had some ricostas last year, these ones:

www.ricosta.co.uk/girls-sandals/ricosta-dobby-red-girls-sandal

What normally happens though is that I spend £££ on tasteful practical fitted shoes then she spends a weekend with my parents who buy her a pair of HIDEOUS £2 fake crocs from Asda and she spends the summer in those instead. Without fail.

ArtexMonkey Sat 02-Feb-13 14:42:53

Tk maxx often get nice girls' Birkenstocks in btw, but you have to run the gauntlet of all the other rancid black, nuclear pink or otherwise visually offensive shoes if you have your child in tow.

God OP, they are hideous grin!

I think Birkenstock are perfect for a 4 yr old, and they are difficult to destroy.

ALittleScatterOfRain Sat 02-Feb-13 14:55:09

We always had Elephanten when I was little, but I don't think they're going any more. I still have a little red rubber elephant from one year <nostalgic sigh>

are these the kind of thing you are looking for?

or these??

or it might rain again all summer so you'll just need more welliesgrin

Jessepinkman Sat 02-Feb-13 15:01:54

We can get Elephanten here in CH.

ALittleScatterOfRain Sat 02-Feb-13 15:03:53

Anyway, I'll be more helpful! Pom d'api are pretty, but not sure if they'd be as practical as some.

And just from having a google, some of the Startrite ones are quite nice. I think these are quite sweet.

chartreuse Sat 02-Feb-13 15:05:07

I feel your pain Tethers I always do a recce to the shoeshop before I bring dd in and the assistant knows very well which ones are "sold out in dd's size" from the expression on my face. I usually go to One Small Step, there is generally something that dd and I can compromise on.

Jessepinkman Sat 02-Feb-13 15:05:49

Startrite have got some nice ones www.startriteshoes.com/girls/sandals

Pom d'api make very good quality shoes, shoes can both be practical and easy on the eye.

Naturino are deemed to be very good quality, but very expensive.

tethersend Sat 02-Feb-13 16:04:35

soacidentprone- the ones in your first link aren't bad actually- and cheap! Do they come up wide? DD has quite narrow feet.

Startrite not bad either, Jesse...

Thanks all smile

sorry, no idea. I have 2 ds's.

they look adjustable though, and you could always make another hole in the strap.

DM only ever bought me Jesus sandals as they were the only ones around in the 70's which adjusted, pre velcrosad

permaquandry Sat 02-Feb-13 20:06:20

I feel your pain. I am VERY fussy about dds shoes and I never find sandals for them that I love. That said, I have to go for comfort as well as style, so many high st shops ones come up very wide and mine have very narrow feet.

I got mine from clarks last year, they had the same in different colours and were the best of a bad bunch:

www.paresfootwear.co.uk/Girls/G-Sandals-Open/257765/Clarks-Rio-Wish-Inf-White-Leather

They were very soft and comfy and looked lovely with the right outfits (dresses with denim waistcoats etc)

I also buy them a pair of lightweight, canvas, velcro-strapped deck shoes (neat & narrow ones), a pair of silver plain dolly shoes from m&s and a pair of Lelli Kelly's each (primary coloured ones). Even on hot days, they can get away with any of the above

I spend ages looking round then always go back to Clarks. Bought Lelli Kelly sandals for one DD last year and they rubbed awfully.

WifeofGru Sat 02-Feb-13 20:38:40

www.jakss.co.uk/birkenstock-kids-glitter-sandal/p10060.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=GoogleShopping&utm_campaign=googlebase

These are comfy and glittery in a nice way. Pricey, but will last all summer and the white ones will go with most outfits.

And these are what I will be buying my girls this summer. I love, love, love them. Probably the pale pink or silver......

www.sunsansandals.co.uk/shop/

janji Sat 02-Feb-13 21:12:14

My daughter had that same design and loved the glitter!

Mewsical Sat 02-Feb-13 21:18:17

Birkenstocks don't work for narrow feet or long toes. The only ones I find to fit are Umi or Pediped as some have velcro on the toe area making them adjustable. Horrendously expensive though so I buy out of season.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now