please help me find a top / cardy that hugs the waist

(42 Posts)
PeggyGuggenheim Fri 01-Feb-13 09:13:11

I have a lovely pair of Next harem trousers, baggy but not really too baggy, (although I wish the waist band was wider) and so far the ONLY thing that looks good is a vest top tucked in, with a short M&S cardy with wide ribbed hem, all buttons done up. It defines my waist which is somewhat necessary what with the borderline too-bagginess of the trousers . Been looking for something similar to the fitted cardy, but with no luck, and I don't know what to search for on Google.

PeggyGuggenheim Sat 02-Feb-13 22:01:33

The heels are from Asda actually! Solid, extremely comfy tan "leather" sandal stylee. They were a tenner I think, and then they were in the sale for ages. A very good buy indeed because they are really quite high, but so comfy.

bishboschone Sat 02-Feb-13 21:48:35

I may order some to see.. Which heels do you wear with them?

PeggyGuggenheim Sat 02-Feb-13 21:27:52

Looking at Hennes now ...

PeggyGuggenheim Sat 02-Feb-13 21:26:44

The trews are really flattering yes. Cute with flat mary-jane type shoes and incredibly flattering with high heels. The fabric is thin enough that there's not massive baginess around the thighs. I never would have tried them if I hadn't seen a friend wearing similar - they're a breakthrough for me, hence the bafflement at what to wear with them

bishboschone Sat 02-Feb-13 20:56:07

Are they really flattering?

Hammer pants grin this threads great!!!
Look in H and M.......lots of little cardis, buy them small. Some t shirts similar shape o the Next one you linked to spotted today.

jalopy Sat 02-Feb-13 20:22:01

Nurse! The screens....

PeggyGuggenheim Sat 02-Feb-13 19:22:00

Scoff not, onehundredseconds

www.next.co.uk/x512128s7#148974x51

DeafLeopard Sat 02-Feb-13 19:19:41

<arf> at hammer pants

PeggyGuggenheim Sat 02-Feb-13 19:13:16

They are not hammer pants !

Your welcome Peggy and Peggy too!

revolvenotevolve Sat 02-Feb-13 18:57:55

get one of those wrap around cardi things - with long ties that go around and tie at one side of you

OneHundredSecondsofSolitude Sat 02-Feb-13 18:45:56

I need to see the hammer pants before I can comment

PeggyGuggenheim Sat 02-Feb-13 18:35:35

Oh that is lovely! And twenty quid, happy days! Thank you ifitsnotanarse you're a diamond

BTW I googled your harem trousers. Very nice. And can see the difficulty.

How about your recommendation for a body with one of these in black?

www.very.co.uk/savoir-sequin-cardigan/1134600591.prd?browseToken=%2fb%2f1700%2fr%2f100

Peggy I think you may need a lie down in a darkened room. grin

PretzelTime Sat 02-Feb-13 18:11:18

ouch my brain....

PeggyGuggenheim Sat 02-Feb-13 18:07:16

Aww cuttedupear !! You don't look like a twit. But, if not peplum then what, eh?

PeggyGuggenheim Sat 02-Feb-13 18:06:01

Lol at the 1000 comments! No it's a really serious quest for a garment! turkeyboots, I hate it when that happens but that's what the clever S&B sleuths are so good at (shameless flattery). Maybe it seems too easy a quest for you sleuths though? Please help an amateur xx

CuttedUpPear Sat 02-Feb-13 17:59:46

Great. Now I look like a twit. hmm

As will you if you wear a peplum with harem pants, Peggy. Don't do it.

PeggyGuggenheim Sat 02-Feb-13 17:57:56

Oh crumbs have just looked up and seen a concerned head-tilt! Yes yes perfectly well, sorry to cause alarm. Just a bit dismayed at still having an unanswered thread after two days, so decided to thrash it out with myself and thereby attract some real advice! Where are the ribbed cardies Drywhite?

CuttedUpPear Sat 02-Feb-13 17:56:38

I don't think this is Peggy's doing!

CuttedUpPear speaking here in case it comes up as Peggy.

confused but a bit compulsive. How long are you going to carry on for? 1000 comments?

turkeyboots Sat 02-Feb-13 17:50:09

I bought one in H&M in Munich about 15 years ago. It passed to the great wardrobe in the sky recently and I am keeping an eye out for a replacement. They are a very useful shape.

PeggyGuggenheim Sat 02-Feb-13 17:48:12

Actually I saw something a bit like that in the window of East the other day (don't know if you have one where you live?) It was grey, fine-knit, wide ribbing starting under the bust, hip-hugging. I noticed it because it had great bumpy wads of tucked-in blouse under the ribbing! Not a good look. Will see if I can find a link.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now