Help me find a foundation for my awful skin please!

(29 Posts)
OhThisIsJustGrape Wed 30-Jan-13 19:55:28

Ok, my skin is terrible. Had acne since I was 11, never full-face type spots but just 2 or 3 large cysts each month that have left quite a few, deep scars. Acne now under control which I am putting down to a very effective skincare regime (glycolic acid products) and using mineral foundation.

However, I am still a total oil slick and despite using a couple of products to minimise the shine - and they do work, would be even worse without - I still look awful before lunchtime.

Also am blessed with large pores and my skin is red in places and I have quite a few broken veins. I sound delightful don't I hmm

Anyway, I'm currently using Lily Lolo mineral foundation, I apply their finishing powder beforehand too and afterwards, plus their concealer. Once fully made up I do actually look quite presentable, I can minimise the deep scars to a certain extent but appreciate that I can't fill them in completely. My problem is that it doesn't last.

I've tried a few primers - bare essentials (crap), benefit porefessional (quite good but it breaks me out if used for more than a day at a time so it's reserved for high days and holidays lol), smash box targeted pore filler thingy - this would be fab if only my make up didn't highlight where I've used it, have tried all sorts of ways of applying it to no avail.

I really rate Lily Lolo but I think it's starting to make me look old. I seem to be really aware of it being on my face despite applying it properly (buff buff buff!) and I can't use more than one layer otherwise I look really elderly plus it just cakes once the oil starts breaking through.

Apologies for long post, I guess what I'm after is something long lasting for super oily skin, something with heavy coverage but doesn't look like I've applied with a trowel, something that wont highlight my huge pores and something that won't break me out, I just cannot go back to the spots.

And reviews of laser treatment for acne scarring would also be much appreciated smile

LineRunner Fri 01-Feb-13 17:59:47

Frrerange, thanks, it's good to have a recommendation. I have loads of facial thread veins (inherited trait in my family) and I have a dream to get shot of at least some of them.

All good tips on here about foundation - brilliant.

cocolepew Fri 01-Feb-13 18:05:32

Max Factor Facefinity is great, it's primer, concealer and foundation in one. Really good coverage without feeling dry. I found DW too dry.
I use Maybelline Me face powder on top.

QuinnFabray Fri 01-Feb-13 18:11:23

I'm wearing DW again today. Every time I do I remember how much I like it. It needs to be applied in a certain way though. Better over a primer, to give it a bit of slip, and with fingers very sparingly. Start with a tiny amount, and add more if needed. I don't find it ageing. I love it because it's really the only foundation I've tried, and I've tried them all, ( apart from Revlon Colorstay whipped cream, which isn't available in this country ), that really does stay put all day. Even the liquid Revlon Colorstay doesn't on me. If I use Urban decay de-slick spray, it's even more long lasting.

piratecat Fri 01-Feb-13 18:16:13

i have used Clarins for about ten yrs, i find it brilliant. worth the money, and i am skint but it lasts ages, it really does. go find a counter!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now