Are bootcut jeans still fashionable?

(60 Posts)
retrocutie Wed 23-Jan-13 06:15:46

Hi, I am looking for some new jeans and still haven't managed to shift the baby weight, so skinnies are out. I was just wondering if bootcut jeans are still fashionable, or is there an alternative? Thanks.

noddyholder Wed 23-Jan-13 10:23:53

Jeans all about fit i think. I am wearing the dreaded boyfriend ones today which i find hard to make look good in winter

wildfig Wed 23-Jan-13 10:33:43

I think it might depend on what else you wear them with, and exactly where they hit the back of your heel? [hopeful]

I can't wear skinnies. I really can't. So I try a bit harder with the top half of my outfit to overcome any lingering whiff of Per Una about my bottom half. Flares is a good steer, though.

ArtfulAardvark Wed 23-Jan-13 10:47:00

I think you should wear the shape that suits you best regardless of "fashion". There is nothing sadder than seeing someone squeezed into clothes that dont suit their shape simply because someone has deemed it is how they should look this year. Maybe its my age but I quite often look at the fashion "experts" on tv and think "god you look a dogs dinner, no way am I taking your advice"

Im curvy:

skinnys are out, they look horrendous on me no matter how fashionable they are - id love to wear the skinnys and boots look but id look crap if I am honest!

Straight leg are OK but do make me look short and dumpy

Boyfriend I like but make me look larger than I am

Kick flare are my favourites - very flattering, tight at the top so dont make me look larger and the flare just seems to balance me out. Not a lot about in the shops though.

Bootcuts are generally what I go for as they are readily available and flatter my curves.

While Im at it I prefer a higher waist - I dont want to show everyone my knickers every time I bend over!!

HazleNutt Wed 23-Jan-13 10:49:32

Don't care. I would rather be unfashionable and look normal than fasionable but look like I have parsnips instead of legs.

MarshaBrady Wed 23-Jan-13 11:05:28

Pretty much any shape is in now. Boot cut, boyfriend etc

Startail Wed 23-Jan-13 11:11:09

I wear whichever is clean.

Except today when it will be boot cuts to hide my ancient boots.
Town will be a boot ruining salty swamp.

willyoulistentome Wed 23-Jan-13 11:25:01

I think fashion is irrelevant unless you are skinny and can get away with any style. What is 'fashionable' will probably look awful on a huge number of people.

Skinny jeans look crap unless you have sparrow legs and no bum. Especially when they droop down the back and give you a webbed arse.

newNN Wed 23-Jan-13 11:31:16

I was going to wear skinnies, sparkly top and heels on Valentine's day and now someone has said it's mumsy sad.

Don't know what to wear now.

DewDr0p Wed 23-Jan-13 11:32:22

I think most people can wear skinnies if they get the top half and footwear right. Your top needs to stop at the thinnest part of your legs (you can test this out with a pillowcase, move it up and down until you find the sweet spot). The footwear can also help balance out your shape. I don't have great legs but skinnies with a longish top and biker boots hides the dodgy bits and makes my legs actually look quite shapely. In the summer skinnies and wedge heeled sandals also work for me.

I love my flares even more though tbh.

ArtfulAardvark Wed 23-Jan-13 11:37:29

hell no id look like a weeble in skinnies!

Annianni Wed 23-Jan-13 11:39:33

It all depends on the fit and length of the jeans.

If you've got bootcuts on that are too short, flapping around your ankles and dodgy footwear... that's never a good look.

I quite like flares, they can look fab.

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Wed 23-Jan-13 11:41:48

I like straight leg- someone on here actually talked about them on here on another jeans thread and I figured I'd give them a go- loving them! I wear skinnies/ cigarette with cowboy boots/biker boots but my legs, although fairly shapely, are a little chunky for the flats and skinnies combo.

newnn I think it was boot cuts with sparkly top that were mumsy so you're safe

I think boot cuts can look very good so long as they're not ankle flappers. I think they look better with a wedge heel than a thin heel, but that might just be me. Although expensive, I think 7 for all mankind do one of the nicest bootcuts

MarshaBrady Wed 23-Jan-13 11:46:10

The new ones are good. Usually dark indigo and slimmer at the top rather than baggy all round and shorter.

wildfig Wed 23-Jan-13 11:50:27

I do get the whole 'stop the top at the skinniest part of your leg' thing, and I can see how it works for non-parsnip legs, but in my case the skinniest part would be my ankles. Which would sort of defeat the object of wearing jeans at all. grin

willyoulistentome Wed 23-Jan-13 11:52:36

DewDr0p - the thinnest part of my legs is my ankles! What top do you recommend?

survivingwinter Wed 23-Jan-13 12:00:26

I like the idea of bringing bootcut back into fashion by stealth!

I hate skinny jeans and my dh thinks they're horrible on both men and women. Will be very glad when fashion moves away from the skinny!

justasecond Wed 23-Jan-13 12:01:09

I don't think there is one definitive "in" look. All styles of jeans can look "fashionable".I like to wear all shapes as its boring to just wear one style of clothing all the time. However in this weather its just skinnies/slim jeans or cords as I hate getting the bottom of my trousers wet. I am a bit ocd about it in fact. I have tried to get on with boyfriend jeans but I think they are not for me.

What you wear bootcuts with is what makes them stylish or not.
I agree with Marsha they have to be a dark wash with a slim leg and small flare i.e. not a huge triangular flare from the knee. I am always looking for the perfect bootcut!

ArtfulAardvark Wed 23-Jan-13 12:05:56

"in my case the skinniest part would be my ankles" hahaha

Id have to be wearing a bloody long top to get to a "skinny" bit of leg...so id end up looking like a 5 year old raiding mummys wardrobe.

Fairylea Wed 23-Jan-13 12:15:47

I think bootlegs are fine. Sure they're not ultra fashionable but who cares. Neither are merrell snow boots and everyone seems to love them.... sometimes style and comfort outweigh fashion.

However, they MUST be long enough to cover at least half of a decent heel. Otherwise you will look daft.

And preferably in a black or dark indigo. Much more flattering than normal denim.

DonaAna Wed 23-Jan-13 12:22:15

Superlong bootcuts are the most stylish shape in Italy right now - not very practical, but the people who wear them have drivers anyway.

That said, jeans and denim in general seem to be a bit off the radar at the moment. I occasionally see them on ultracool women. But most jean wearers are teenage girls and the maid/cleaner types. Opaques and boots or cigarette or wool trousers seem to be the look of the moment. And nobody here wears leather leggings.

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Wed 23-Jan-13 12:24:33

Oh God- please don't let jeans go out completely. I remember last time it happened- Tony Blair was in the paper wearing dad jeans and suddenly everyone stopped wearing them..........and combats came in - what were we thinking?

MarshaBrady Wed 23-Jan-13 12:27:33

Combats! Preferably loose with tassles hanging down, stilettos and a tank. How did that happen.

I'd love to get into some more styles. Denim is just so good with toddlers. Not really the on the knees thing, but lifting them to put in the car, sometimes picking up the small ride a bike because they've stopped riding.

I'd love to get some wool, cigarette or otherwise but only when there's no chance of any ruination. Actually I have days off, I should just get some.

DewDr0p Wed 23-Jan-13 12:43:34

grin wildfig and willyoulistentome well of course, the thinnest part of my legs is also my ankles. I would look a bit strange otherwise.

Perhaps I didn't word it very well. Still think you can play around with the proportions quite a bit when wearing skinny jeans - you don't have to show off every inch of thigh. I think a nice chunky boot helps offset the parsnip effect too, no?

Bunbaker Wed 23-Jan-13 12:44:04

I think that what is the height of fashion and what most people are wearing aren't necessarily the same thing.

Last year those awful dresses that were long at the back and short at the front were the height of fashion, but I hardly saw anyone wearing one. Luckily it was a short lived craze.

OMG Marsha, you've just reminded me of my clubbing look du jour when I was 18 - string vest over bright bra, cropped combats, stiletto sandals and (this is crucial) one long dangly earring. Oh and my Dior Saddle bag. I thought I was the mutt's nuts.

And that, my friends, is fashion. Wear whatever you like, because whatever you wear you'll be looking back in 10 years wondering why you dressed like a twat wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now