Massive Clearout

(18 Posts)
libertychick Thu 24-Jan-13 21:31:29

I think the dummy really helps as you get a much better picture of how the item actually looks, clothes photographed lying flat always look messy and crumpled to me.

gangbangstyle Thu 24-Jan-13 21:26:20

Do you think it's essential to have a tailor's dummy to make loads of money sell clothes on ebay? Don't they take up rather a lot of room and look quite ugly? Just had a money-making thought: buy a tailor's dummy, then when I've made my sales on ebay, rent out the dummy to other people locally!

ChablisLover Wed 23-Jan-13 12:51:32

the £973 has inspired me too

Heres hoping!

daimbardiva Wed 23-Jan-13 12:11:30

£973!!! I have a huge box of stuff sitting waiting to be ebayed but I can never be arsed doing it. This has inspired me enormously...<£££ flashing in eyes>

ChablisLover Wed 23-Jan-13 11:03:40

I probably buy too much blush and then dont throw out blush

but i tend to go for classic things anyway that don't tend to go in and out of fashion - with maybe nods to the trends at present.

babySophieRose Wed 23-Jan-13 10:18:59

Do you buy too many? I used to do it and could never wear them all before they go out of fashion. For the last two years I buy less, more everyday clothing, less weekend and occasional, try to buy more classic and do more accessories. Can't do it with shoes yet...

ChablisLover Wed 23-Jan-13 08:29:14

thanks all

I am planning a massive clearout in February

(work dictates that January is not a good month!)

Will get my ebay hat on again and get selling

Tweet2tweet Tue 22-Jan-13 21:21:26

I'm clearing out now too. Made £300 on EBay and also gave to charity shop.
I've also just found a second hand shop that choose from stuff you bring in and give you 50% of what sells.

My motivation is saving up for a personal shopper appt at John Lewis.

I sort as follows:
Anything I hesitate over- out
Anything that doesn't fit- out
Anything I feel uncomfortable in - out
Anything in mainly man made fibres- out
Anything bobbly/faded/beyond repair- out
Anything I haven't worn for 12 months, with exception of couple of party dresses- out

eBay sales work best if you're selling higher end labels or certain niche area things like ' mod style dress' or vintage. I always give a narrative, bought a dress dummy to put clothes on and start low for most things. Hope that helps!

Hope sorting goes well!

BeebiesQueen Tue 22-Jan-13 21:20:51

I tend to bag things up and put it in a cupboard, if I dont need to go through the bag for 4 months it all goes to the charity shop. if I miss the skirt, top, dress whatever then I take it out and keep the bag for another 4 months.
It works for me!

gangbangstyle Tue 22-Jan-13 20:59:32

I'm desperate to clear out, but I'm not very successful at selling clothes on ebay, and it takes ages! Missmartha, you must have a VERY good ebay selling technique! Any tips? smile

shopafrolic Tue 22-Jan-13 20:30:31

I had a woman come to my house to help me with this. We eliminated 8 bin bags full of clothes blush.
Rules seemed to be:
Anything that didn't fit me
Anything that was in need of repairs
Anything that was too 'mumsy'
Anything that still had tags on! blush
Anything I hadn't worn in 2 years

Reading this (as recommended by DonaAna) also helped!

www.amazon.co.uk/You-Are-What-Wear-Clothes/dp/0738215201

ChablisLover Tue 22-Jan-13 20:24:39

Bumping for more ideas and tips

ChablisLover Tue 22-Jan-13 11:33:34

thanks ladies

It really needs done

but I always think oh i'll wear that again

so the key is to be ruthless and hope that I don;t need it or if i do use it as an excuse to shop,grin

neshi Tue 22-Jan-13 10:27:48

Rule here is if I haven't used it in 6 months then just chuck it! Of course I'm not getting rid of bikinis in December just because I haven't used them...just think ahead for the next season!
If it dosen't fit...chuck it. I was getting a full wardrobe in waiting for when I lost the extra kg...well, forget that! When I eventually lost them all I wanted were some nice new treats!

Then just go trough your big pile, good stuff - ebay, the rest charity shop!

MarshaBrady Tue 22-Jan-13 10:14:03

Gosh that's good missmartha.

I might have to give that a try.

mollymole Tue 22-Jan-13 10:13:00

Start by removing everything that does not fit, then everything that needs repairs. After this, items that have not been worn for over 2 years. Anything with a tag on that you have had more than a year.

From these piles sort into

e bay
charity shop - good for sale
charity shop - not for sale but can be sold on for rags/recycling

Good Luck

missmartha Tue 22-Jan-13 10:09:05

If you don't wear it, don't like it or couldn't remember you even had it, chuck it.

I had a clear out just after Christmas, things I'd never wear again, some of it good, some of it, frankly, crap.

I ebayed it, otherwise it would had gone to the tip or maybe charity shop and made.....wait for it £973.

You could have knocked me over with a feather.

All stuff I was never ever going to wear again.

ChablisLover Tue 22-Jan-13 10:03:08

Ok Ladies

I need to do a massive clear-out of clothes and shoes

I use our spare room as a Dressing room and it madness.

I hoard clothes and throw nothing away

So I need to be ruthless with a clear out

What are your top tips?

Do I keep things i never wear but are "good"?
Do I throw things out I have not wore for 6 months? What about the change in seasons?

Where do I start?

Help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now