Massive Clearout

(18 Posts)
ChablisLover Tue 22-Jan-13 10:03:08

Ok Ladies

I need to do a massive clear-out of clothes and shoes

I use our spare room as a Dressing room and it madness.

I hoard clothes and throw nothing away

So I need to be ruthless with a clear out

What are your top tips?

Do I keep things i never wear but are "good"?
Do I throw things out I have not wore for 6 months? What about the change in seasons?

Where do I start?

Help!

missmartha Tue 22-Jan-13 10:09:05

If you don't wear it, don't like it or couldn't remember you even had it, chuck it.

I had a clear out just after Christmas, things I'd never wear again, some of it good, some of it, frankly, crap.

I ebayed it, otherwise it would had gone to the tip or maybe charity shop and made.....wait for it £973.

You could have knocked me over with a feather.

All stuff I was never ever going to wear again.

mollymole Tue 22-Jan-13 10:13:00

Start by removing everything that does not fit, then everything that needs repairs. After this, items that have not been worn for over 2 years. Anything with a tag on that you have had more than a year.

From these piles sort into

e bay
charity shop - good for sale
charity shop - not for sale but can be sold on for rags/recycling

Good Luck

MarshaBrady Tue 22-Jan-13 10:14:03

Gosh that's good missmartha.

I might have to give that a try.

neshi Tue 22-Jan-13 10:27:48

Rule here is if I haven't used it in 6 months then just chuck it! Of course I'm not getting rid of bikinis in December just because I haven't used them...just think ahead for the next season!
If it dosen't fit...chuck it. I was getting a full wardrobe in waiting for when I lost the extra kg...well, forget that! When I eventually lost them all I wanted were some nice new treats!

Then just go trough your big pile, good stuff - ebay, the rest charity shop!

ChablisLover Tue 22-Jan-13 11:33:34

thanks ladies

It really needs done

but I always think oh i'll wear that again

so the key is to be ruthless and hope that I don;t need it or if i do use it as an excuse to shop,grin

ChablisLover Tue 22-Jan-13 20:24:39

Bumping for more ideas and tips

shopafrolic Tue 22-Jan-13 20:30:31

I had a woman come to my house to help me with this. We eliminated 8 bin bags full of clothes blush.
Rules seemed to be:
Anything that didn't fit me
Anything that was in need of repairs
Anything that was too 'mumsy'
Anything that still had tags on! blush
Anything I hadn't worn in 2 years

Reading this (as recommended by DonaAna) also helped!

www.amazon.co.uk/You-Are-What-Wear-Clothes/dp/0738215201

gangbangstyle Tue 22-Jan-13 20:59:32

I'm desperate to clear out, but I'm not very successful at selling clothes on ebay, and it takes ages! Missmartha, you must have a VERY good ebay selling technique! Any tips? smile

BeebiesQueen Tue 22-Jan-13 21:20:51

I tend to bag things up and put it in a cupboard, if I dont need to go through the bag for 4 months it all goes to the charity shop. if I miss the skirt, top, dress whatever then I take it out and keep the bag for another 4 months.
It works for me!

Tweet2tweet Tue 22-Jan-13 21:21:26

I'm clearing out now too. Made £300 on EBay and also gave to charity shop.
I've also just found a second hand shop that choose from stuff you bring in and give you 50% of what sells.

My motivation is saving up for a personal shopper appt at John Lewis.

I sort as follows:
Anything I hesitate over- out
Anything that doesn't fit- out
Anything I feel uncomfortable in - out
Anything in mainly man made fibres- out
Anything bobbly/faded/beyond repair- out
Anything I haven't worn for 12 months, with exception of couple of party dresses- out

eBay sales work best if you're selling higher end labels or certain niche area things like ' mod style dress' or vintage. I always give a narrative, bought a dress dummy to put clothes on and start low for most things. Hope that helps!

Hope sorting goes well!

ChablisLover Wed 23-Jan-13 08:29:14

thanks all

I am planning a massive clearout in February

(work dictates that January is not a good month!)

Will get my ebay hat on again and get selling

babySophieRose Wed 23-Jan-13 10:18:59

Do you buy too many? I used to do it and could never wear them all before they go out of fashion. For the last two years I buy less, more everyday clothing, less weekend and occasional, try to buy more classic and do more accessories. Can't do it with shoes yet...

ChablisLover Wed 23-Jan-13 11:03:40

I probably buy too much blush and then dont throw out blush

but i tend to go for classic things anyway that don't tend to go in and out of fashion - with maybe nods to the trends at present.

daimbardiva Wed 23-Jan-13 12:11:30

£973!!! I have a huge box of stuff sitting waiting to be ebayed but I can never be arsed doing it. This has inspired me enormously...<£££ flashing in eyes>

ChablisLover Wed 23-Jan-13 12:51:32

the £973 has inspired me too

Heres hoping!

gangbangstyle Thu 24-Jan-13 21:26:20

Do you think it's essential to have a tailor's dummy to make loads of money sell clothes on ebay? Don't they take up rather a lot of room and look quite ugly? Just had a money-making thought: buy a tailor's dummy, then when I've made my sales on ebay, rent out the dummy to other people locally!

libertychick Thu 24-Jan-13 21:31:29

I think the dummy really helps as you get a much better picture of how the item actually looks, clothes photographed lying flat always look messy and crumpled to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now