DH has just sprung a black tie do on me....

(30 Posts)
ThatVikRinA22 Thu 17-Jan-13 23:28:49

its for 2nd Feb.

i do have a LBD that i could wear from next but ive worn it before for the same sort of do, with the same people (though it was years ago and i doubt they remember!) its an empire line black georgette type thing - looks a bit like a negligee but is actually rather nice!

i have a purple bustier and pencil skirt (but would require a fake tan)

i am a size 14. ( a small 14 or large 12) and im 40.
i would be willing to buy a new dress for this if anyone has any suggestions. Im a C cup boobs, slightly pear shaped, slim legs.

any ideas please? nothing to outlandish for budget but anything considered!
thanks

ThatVikRinA22 Sat 19-Jan-13 18:42:52

ok looking at the sizes of those vintage dresses i think they seem to be for hourglass shapes - im not. if it fit me on the waist it would be huge on the boobs.

so im still looking - thanks ladies for the suggestions - im still leafing through them!

TaffyandTeenyTaffy Sat 19-Jan-13 17:47:26

Have a look at Roman Originals. Not somewhere I wouldn normally shop but I got a lovely long black evening dress from there recently for about £30. They had lots of lovely evening dresses.

tethersend Sat 19-Jan-13 17:45:19

That's the one, noddy... swoon...

Sorry Vicar, that's not altogether helpful.

noddyholder Sat 19-Jan-13 17:40:12

I agree tethers Love that early 70s rolling stones girlfriend look

tethersend Sat 19-Jan-13 17:36:55

I'm a strictly 1968-76 girl.

<precise>

noddyholder Sat 19-Jan-13 17:34:27

That 50s look hard to pull off Vivienne stuff is horrid though. Like vintage couture chanel and the like hard to find though

tethersend Sat 19-Jan-13 17:18:53

Ah, sorry Deaf- I'm quite into vintage clothing and Vivienne of Holloway makes me want to smoke crack grin

DeafLeopard Sat 19-Jan-13 17:12:04

Yep I agree teth, I much prefer your Westwood to the Holloway. If we haven't put you off my suggestion blush Vicar I think their sizing is on the small side.

tethersend Sat 19-Jan-13 16:58:48

I love vintage, but am with Maureen on Viv of Holloway. My chosen era is later than that anyway (circa feminism wink), but I do not like. They are a bit paint-by-numbers vintage IYSWIM...

MaureenShit Sat 19-Jan-13 07:55:04

Oh vicar you've cut me deep. I loathe that vintage shit. (Plus all that burlesque crap that goes with it- fat women stripping in lipstick )

ThatVikRinA22 Fri 18-Jan-13 23:51:13

loving those vivien holloway dresses! fab!

does anyone know how they size?

DeafLeopard Fri 18-Jan-13 23:11:20
DeafLeopard Fri 18-Jan-13 23:05:57
ThatVikRinA22 Fri 18-Jan-13 21:03:39

aw the purple thing is really nice actually....its like a brocade and its honestly really quite nice.

i cant do insipid colours - its got to be a colour - nothing too pale - i really like the phase 8 green one....
the mango one is lovely but a bit too much flesh on show....(round the middle - dont mind showing a bit of norkage)

ThatVikRinA22 Fri 18-Jan-13 21:02:47

aw the purple thing is really nice actually....its like a brocade and its honestly really quite nice.

i cant do insipid colours - its got to be a colour - nothing too pale - i really like the phase 8 green one....
the mango one is lovely but a bit too much flesh on show....(round the middle - dont mind showing a bit of norkage)

LexyMa Fri 18-Jan-13 18:38:27
noddyholder Fri 18-Jan-13 18:27:07

Love that long mango one and 19£

Bluestocking Fri 18-Jan-13 18:24:19

Don't be daft, wear the LBD you've got! No-one will remember.
Purple bustier and pencil skirt sounds (sorry) minging.

tethersend Fri 18-Jan-13 18:21:56
ThatVikRinA22 Fri 18-Jan-13 18:02:05

sorry guys - budget - i will look at anything up to £150 or so (maybe more for the right dress)

i like the pink asos one posted above by lexy....good price too.

nothing too clingy is good -

feet are still disgusting but it doesnt affect my shoes....i can actually walk better in heels because of where the mother ship verruca is....

im a bit rubbish at this dressing up lark, i am usually to be found either in jumper dresses or jeans.

ProphetOfDoom Fri 18-Jan-13 17:25:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LexyMa Fri 18-Jan-13 17:20:19

do you do bodycon?

got good pins?

more trad eveningy

How is your foot these days (you won't have a clue who I am as I nc and lurk so pls excuse the impertinence!) - does it affect your shoe options for the do?

pixi2 Fri 18-Jan-13 17:13:22

Wow, you're lucky to get that much notice. Dh springs black tie on me the same day. I have to sort out a babysitter at short notice. Usually mil as she knows what he is like.

Buy a new dress after this one and have it in your wardrobe ready, alongside jewellery, a new perfume, and maybe fake tan if you're like me a don't really like the stuff.

I have a small plastic case at the back of my wardrobe that holds these things plus hold up stockings, and a disposable razor in case I am between waxes.

go with the LBD... no-one apart from you will remember. RIng the changes with different accessories

Trumpton Fri 18-Jan-13 17:02:46

Ballet dress and dog collar ? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now