Attending a wedding in SA, dress code formal with a touch of Africa!

(10 Posts)
JamInMyWellies Thu 10-Jan-13 10:28:44

Apart from having some sort of animal skin clutch bag, what on earth do I do to add a touch of Africa.

This is my frock

Also DH needs a touch of Africa too. He is suggesting wearing a pith helmut god help me or taking the elephant mask from one of the DCs board games.

steph124 Thu 10-Jan-13 11:01:54

That sounds amazing! I'm very jealous!

That link goes to a whole page of dresses, which one is yours?

How about an animal print scarf? or some tribal jewellery?

Perhaps your DH could where a shirt with and african style print under his suit? Other than that I have no idea!

JamInMyWellies Thu 10-Jan-13 13:39:01

Sorry my one is the day imperial.

LulaPalooza Thu 10-Jan-13 15:49:28

Find out what flowers the bride is having in her bouquet first, but you could wear a small protea (national flower of SA) in your hair, perhaps?

Tribal jewellery is a v good idea. Perhaps wait until you're there and buy some.

Where is the wedding and when?

slug Thu 10-Jan-13 16:16:55

Something like this?

JamInMyWellies Thu 10-Jan-13 16:35:36

Ooh I like the flower idea.

Wedding is at the begining of April on a game reserve.

LulaPalooza Thu 10-Jan-13 18:12:04

Ah, ok. If you're on a reserve then shopping over there might not be an option.

You'd need to arrange to get a protea on the day or the day before as they don't live for very long in the heat. I got married in SA and we had a beautiful protea and rose arrangement around the gazebo wotsit that we stood under for the ceremony and it was pretty wilted by sundown!

I'm in SA from next Thursday for 3 weeks if you want me to have a look for something for you/ DH? PM me if you think that would help. I can always get ideas at least and email pics to you.

C0smos Thu 10-Jan-13 18:28:30

I live in SA, trying to think for you, handmade beading is very popular you could get some earrings, bangle etc.
I expect you'll be doing an internal flight so an airport should have a craft shop which sells these, although it will be much cheaper from a local craft market.
As long as you have something which is very colourful e.g scarf, think oranges,bright reds etc you won't go far wrong,

JamInMyWellies Fri 11-Jan-13 18:37:06

Thanks all.

Lula that would be great if you could keep an eye out for me.

LulaPalooza Sat 12-Jan-13 16:27:04

No probs, Jam. V happy to do that.

I won't be online much when out there as no broadband at the in laws, but if you PM me your email address I can take pics of things and email them to you? I'll be checking emails every couple of days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now