How do you wear dark, subtle colours without looking drab? Are there any rules I can follow?

(67 Posts)
IwantaPetFox Wed 09-Jan-13 11:30:31

Due to my colouring (cool-toned, pale skin, dark hair and eyes) I look best in dark, wintery colours - greys, navy, black, deep dark purple. But it can look quite drab I think - I tried to find a scarf to lift the overall look, but most of them are really bright and make me look ill, or are too patterned and don't suit me either. It doesn't help that I'm rather skinny and small and big accessories, even scarves, can overwhelm me. Where am I going wrong?

You sound like a paintbox Spring, Edmund.

IwantaPetFox Wed 09-Jan-13 16:25:51

Um...what? confused grin

SirEdmundFrillary Wed 09-Jan-13 16:23:18

I have a big red face, due to my being angry. Luckily, this is offset by my naturally thin frame which is got by eating porridge.

IwantaPetFox Wed 09-Jan-13 16:22:00

Tempting Itsafineline I will have to think about it smile It is lovely.

Itsafineline Wed 09-Jan-13 16:16:41

The coat has a quilted lining - it is toasty, apart from the knees!

IwantaPetFox Wed 09-Jan-13 16:16:38

Good grief you are all mindreaders! I was thinking yesterday that I'd love a red coat Itsafineline - even thought about starting a thread for recommendations!

Itsafineline Wed 09-Jan-13 16:16:08

Fox I know two winters, both of whom are very 'non-typical'. They took a while - one of them wouldn't believe it - determined she was a summer. She's loving being a winter now. She came out as a spring when she did her own on-line quiz. Think it just goes to show that you can't beat a full draping. (no, I'm not a consultant, just an evangelical bystander)

That is lovely. 70% acrylic is a no-go for me though - I like to be warm!

Itsafineline Wed 09-Jan-13 16:12:48

this is fabulous gamine coat. It is a very true red irl.

IwantaPetFox Wed 09-Jan-13 16:12:04

My HoC friend (after I forced information out of her by dastardly means, and got two of my friends to go and have their colours done with her) did say that Winters are the easiest and quickest to diagnose, so I assume she and the rest of you are right about me being a Winter. I just need to step out of my comfort zone with colours and this thread has been v v helpful - thank you smile

IwantaPetFox Wed 09-Jan-13 16:07:30

Yes I haven't found any online tests to be remotely helpful!

Thank you! Hair is too long at the moment, my fringe is driving me mad.

I'm a deep brown Summer, so right on the edge of Autumn. Look best in the dark pinkish browns, sea green, smoked grape colours.
And wrongly diagnosed by all online tests (and one other well known Colour Analysis company) as an Autumn.

IwantaPetFox Wed 09-Jan-13 16:00:31

Travelin I love your hair. Are you a Summer then?

IwantaPetFox Wed 09-Jan-13 15:56:51

That's so funny Travelin, I HATE cardigans (except for cropped ballet wrap style ones). They make me look really frumpy - I thought I was mad for thinking that, so glad to hear you feel the same!

Ditto re lipstick, but a bit of gloss does me no harm. From what you've said about the contrast being good I'd say winter. I think a key thing about being a Winter is being able to pull off make up shades that would make someone else look ready for the slab. I think that's why I look back fondly on my goth years - as a look it really worked for me.

IwantaPetFox Wed 09-Jan-13 15:53:13

Do you mean Summers have inherently drab features (I'm sure that's not true btw!), or the colours that suit them are inherently drab? I've definitely got high contrast in my features, with dark brown hair, dark eyes and pale skin. I think the problem is that I'm attracted to drab colours and wear too many dark ones with nothing to lift them. I've just given a smoky blue scarf to my mum, who I suspect is a summer (silver hair, light blue eyes, pale pink skin - not drab at all!) and she looks great in it, whereas it did nothing for me at all.

I tend to go for wool, single breasted knee length or just above - fitted at the waist. Basically a bit like a school coat. Need to make sure the lapels are not too big or drapy. I'm a classic gamine, so the traditional styles and quality fabrics are good for me. I also wear brooches on coats for a bit of quirky detail, and I wear vintage silk scarves knotted at the neck, which are also warm.

I found getting my clothing personality done was really enlightening - it explained why cardigans make me feel like worlds biggest frump, and why big prints look wrong on me, even though I'm not at all petite.

(I'm an HoC consultant by the way, and your friend could really get in trouble for doing a 'quick and informal'!) grin

DonaAna Wed 09-Jan-13 15:46:37

Being a Summer would explain the drabness.
Summers are inherently drab.
We don't get to wear black and white, we get charcoal and oatmeal (sigh)
<Fellow Summer sufferer here>

If that's true, you need to give up the high intensity high contrast cool colors and go for softer shades and low contrast (ie, smoky blue instead of royal blue).
They can look incredibly flattering.

I'd love to be a Winter, but I've learned to like Summer colors.
Blusher and lipstick are super important for Summers (if I stand against a beige wall, you won't notice me otherwise).

If you are a Winter, you are high-contrast, and need to create contrast in your looks. Head to toe black with black accessories will actually be low-contrast, unless you have Snow White's skin tone and blood red lips.

IwantaPetFox Wed 09-Jan-13 15:41:47

Thanks Amber Chaotic Currant looks gorgeous and has gone straight on my shopping list grin It's dark, but I dressed up as a witch at Halloween and wore a heavy layer of Revlon Black Cherry lipstick - and strangely looked more attractive instead of more witchy! I haven't made it a staple though, I'm too lazy for proper lipstick everyday.

This is the gloss I wear (in chaotic currant), or I wear HoC lipstick no 512.

IwantaPetFox Wed 09-Jan-13 15:23:42

Sorry forgot to say, you could possibly be right about me being a Summer, I don't know. Maybe I will get them done probably and throroughly this year.

IwantaPetFox Wed 09-Jan-13 15:22:33

Travelin I've had them done quickly and informally by a HoC consultant that I know! What kind of coats do you wear as a gamine? My favourite is a black cropped leather jacket, that's the one that seems to go best with all my outfits and not drown me, but obv it's not warm enough for winter. My winter coat is a nice navy peacoat, but it's still a little bit flarey and fussy and not quite me.

Have you actually had your colours done, petfox? Some pale cool people are actually Summer, which might explain why you feel the more intense colours are draining you.

I'm a gamine too - it is a challenge to be warm without bulk! I wear wool tights and quite a few hats. And stay away from wrap coats and very big scarves, though sometimes needs must.

IwantaPetFox Wed 09-Jan-13 15:16:18

No I haven't Amber, I love the idea of a burgundy gloss. Any recommendations? (Sorry I feel like I'm squeezing you for information!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now