what PLANET do the sunday times fashion people live on?

(79 Posts)
BadDog Sun 06-Jan-13 12:58:19

1. the trouser suit is coming back in - I mean - do they not knwo anyone with a proper job for which they have to dress smartly?

2. a hair product kept her styled curls in place for TEN DAYS - ERGHH grosss! wash your hair lady!

fridgepants Tue 08-Jan-13 14:14:42

Media jobs don't tend to require suits - I honestly would have no idea what I'd have to wear if I crossed over into corporate. These pieces are written by people who can come to work in 'directional' 'pieces' so they won't represent, say, what someoen in a temp job in a fashion-desert town would generally wear (answer: Next from the sales to fit in with dress code that looks cheaper and nastier than less traditionally conservative outfits, particularly if one is busty and 22.)

MaureenShit Tue 08-Jan-13 17:07:13

Christ. You snob!

LifeofPo Tue 08-Jan-13 17:13:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

alliscalm Tue 08-Jan-13 17:18:18

At least the ST doesn't have Laura Craik or Lisa Armstrong trying to look all moody and allegedly representing normal women while usually wearing £600 shoes. The week when they got up Craik as Alexa Chung looky-likey - hilarious!

GetorfsaMotherfuckingMorrisMan Tue 08-Jan-13 17:25:23

I used to love Lisa Armstrong in Saturday Times mag.

I ewould never wear a trouser suit, personally. Frocks all the way (sleeveless ones as well, a decent fitted cardigan or jacket to go with).

Fashion so DUlL. All repeated. When for the name of arse are maxi dresses going to leave us. They have been a summer staple for years. I blame bloody Sienna Miller.

Yes to nautical, military, colour pop, crayzee shoes this season repeated ad nauseum.

GetorfsaMotherfuckingMorrisMan Tue 08-Jan-13 17:26:48

Trosuer suits remind me of 20 something recruitment consultants with bad mascara.

MaureenShit Tue 08-Jan-13 17:32:13

Hate the word frock.

I work in a portaksbin. It's chic.

LifeofPo Tue 08-Jan-13 17:40:00

DonaAna Tue 08-Jan-13 17:43:45

Getorf, I believe maxi dresses are only fashionable in the UK (blame the weather) and possibly in Australia (I don't know why - do you?). The recruitment consultant look seems to be coming back, and I can't wait to see blue mascara again...

I think a) magazine editors are truly clueless re: real life workplaces and b) imagine how dull an issue of black and navy and charcoal trouser suits with discreet jewelry would look. They try to offer fantasy and eye candy.

I sort of love the cyclical nature of fashion. It means my handbag from early 90s looks 'directional' again.

MaureenShit Tue 08-Jan-13 17:49:30

I had to wear a maxi skirt to Henley. It was roasting. Why do people wear them ?

LifeofPo Tue 08-Jan-13 17:51:22

HazeltheMcWitch Tue 08-Jan-13 17:52:30

Oh, I LOVE a good trouser suit from time to time. I am corporate, although at the slightly more creative end.
But when you need to be all power-weidling and serious and arse kickerish , there is nothing that beats stomping about in trouser suit and heels, like some kind of Mary Portas/Christine Lagarde hybrid.

HazeltheMcWitch Tue 08-Jan-13 17:54:02

I am not wearing at trouser suit at the moment, however. I'd be able to spell wielding properly if I were...

GetorfsaMotherfuckingMorrisMan Tue 08-Jan-13 18:39:44

I say frock in RL to annoy dd, she absolutely loathes the word.

It is all a big joke, isn't it?

Trousers suits? Pfft! (We will all be wearing them next year, I guarantee it...)

What's that piece on the back page where they do 'my style' thingy? My sister thought that one was a joke, like Mrs Mills.

I quite like Jess cartner-merely in the guardian magazine, the ladies of varying ages and skin colour do nothing for me though.

My sister

FrancesFarmer Tue 08-Jan-13 20:06:10

Yup, I hate those features where they do outfits for different age groups but they are mostly interchangeable.

It would make more sense to do a series with women of different sizes and shapes. But that would probably be too sensible!

I watch Jess Carter-Morley out of habit but she looks underwhelming most of the time.

HollaAtMeBaby Wed 09-Jan-13 00:16:04

oh god the back page "what are YOU wearing?" feature! My sister says it should be pronounced "what ARE you wearing?!" because the people always look such states...

Scarlet76 Wed 09-Jan-13 06:33:49

The ST style magazine is the first thing I look for when I pick up the paper. But it's light entertainment rather than serious fashion advice.
What are you wearing on the back page always makes me laugh. NOBODY I know ever dresses like that. Tempted to send in a pic of myself - 'here I am in my M&S skinnys, on the school run and no time to brush my hair'

Yes it's a good point that media types don't have to conform like the rest of us. I have a friend at Vogue and she would no more wear a next suit to work than she would bootcut jeans! That being said, neither would I, but the point remains.

Though I will say she dresses like a normal, stylish person. Not at all 'directional'.

Pseudonymity Wed 09-Jan-13 11:40:00

I would love to wear a trouser suit like they do endlessly in the press, but it seems to involve being six feet tall and a rake. It is not a look that works on most people. As it is I've resolved never to work anywhere that would require any kind of suit.

fridgepants Wed 09-Jan-13 14:52:38

"Christ. You snob!"

I'm speaking entirely from experience. I grew up somewhere where the Next sales had queues outside from 4am, as most people were lucky to make £150 a week (myself included - I was a temp) and that doesn't even cover a cheap wardrobe of the kind of clothes admin offices tend to require (the strictest dress codes I've worked with have been when I've been lowest-paid - call centres etc.) It looks fine if you're slender, it looks like crap if you're not an average size, which I'm not.

I always feel like I'm playing Office Job Barbie in a suit, so sex change isn't that far off grin

I don't mind a bit of Next for the kids, but they do have a really special kind of shiny polyester they make suits from that looks unbelievably shit. I think if a suit is going to work it needs to be majority natural fibres!

DonaAna Wed 09-Jan-13 15:28:47

I love 'directional' when it's pointing backwards grin

fridgepants Wed 09-Jan-13 15:33:25

My least favourite 'directional' phrase is when people wear 'a trouser' or 'a red lip'.

Metro does a what are you wearing type thing, all of them are fashion industry types, though - journalists, bloggers, designers of small labels, people who work in boutiques rather than high street stores with a uniform.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now