Can you tell me what sort of artificial nails I should get done please? Breaking nail biting habit attempt.

(5 Posts)
LexyMa Sat 05-Jan-13 08:15:26

I need help. I have been biting my nails since I was 10, and nothing will stop me. Fundamentally I am a fidget and if it's not nails it will be something else. This is why the vile tasting stuff doesn't work - I find a way to pick and tear the nail instead of putting in my mouth.

However in the past I have had a bit of success with having falsies put on, and I think if I could keep it maintained longer, which I can afford to do now I think, then I might be able to break the cycle. (Previously there was always a reason I would have to have them taken off now and again - e.g. I was on field exercises getting mucky and they would get in the way etc).

I had fibreglass ones before. I liked them, they didn't seem to damage the nail underneath as I was told acrylics would. They weren't as thick and talon-like either. But I have tiny tiny nail stubs at the moment which will be difficult to start with, e.g. My fifth fingernail is only 4mm from skin cuticle bit to end of nail, my thumbnails are only 1cm. I never really have any free white bit. Sorry to be disgusting but it is a real problem.

But what are 'wraps', 'gel' and are there any other options? And any recommendations for places to get them done, who won't recoil in horror at my horrible unladylike hands, in the SW Herts/Hillingdon/Watford areas?

MrsWolowitz Sat 05-Jan-13 08:23:39

Gel are similar to acrylics but don't smell like acrylics do when they get filed.

I have gels in a French polish finish and keep them nice and short.

I think they look pretty and subtle. I paid £35 to have them put on and pay £20 every 3 weeks for my infills.

Overdecorated Sat 05-Jan-13 08:24:30

I have exactly the same fidgetty bitey picky problem with my nails but now get biogel nails. Love them! They don't cause as much damage to natural nails underneath and i think they look really natural. I can't stop looking at my own hands!

EllieorOllie Sat 05-Jan-13 09:03:37

I have had various types of artificial nail to try to break my habit. I reckon gel extensions done in nail bars were probably the most effective. Gel polishes like gelish and bio sculpture are too easy to peel off for a hardened nail bitter. I am now about 4 months on from giving up the extensions and have natural nails that I don't bite anymore.

Generally they are good but I would say that the extensions have wrecked them and they are splitting a lot. I am just using a hardener and desperately ignoring them but I reckon it would be very tempting to bite a broken nail. Also they are ridged but I don't know whether that was caused by the extensions or not.

Oh, and ime they can attach an artificial nail to anything, so I wouldn't worry about stubby nails!

LexyMa Sat 05-Jan-13 10:16:15

Thank you and nice to know others have solved it this way! Really I want to get to the point where I can have natural nails and channel my fidgeting into buffing and filing.

So gel/biogel it is... Now to find a place local that will do them at convenient times for me...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now