Styles you'd like to wear but can't?

(104 Posts)
SantasNaughtySack Thu 03-Jan-13 13:07:25

This year I'm planning to stop trying to wear things that jut aren't 'me', however much I'd like them to be! Does anyone else have this problem?
I'd love to do the androgynous look occasionally, like boyfriend jeans and a plain loose Tshirt- but I just end up looking fat and butch.
Likewise with chunky knits- gorgeous on other people but I look like a Womble sad
And lastly, scarves. I feel like I'm missing out, their always mentioned on WIWT threads, and I see so many stylish looking women my age wearing them, but I look in the mirror and just end up feeling silly.
So no more! I will admire, but not covet.

Anyone else have styles they'd love to pull off but just can't quite manage?

coco grin

cocolepew Fri 04-Jan-13 19:26:55

High heels with a peep toe. The toe next to my big toe is too long. It sticks out the hole like a teeny penis.

Oh yes, and shorts! Playsuits- fine. Short skirts- fine ish. Shorts- for some reason absolutely, bloody awful confused

VerySmallSqueak Fri 04-Jan-13 18:56:30

High heels.
I walk with my bum stuck out and my chest thrust out and just look ridiculous.

CointreauVersial Fri 04-Jan-13 18:44:35

I can't wear anything tucked in or belted because I am straight up and down, with no waist.

Strapless looks dreadful, as I have those little rolls of fat which bulge under the arms (yuck).

Anything olive green or sludgy yellow/orange makes me look jaundiced.

Strappy/super-high shoes just make my feet hurt (my heels are getting lower and lower).

I'm another one who can't do hats. I don't have the right hair; I end up looking like a pinhead.

Also, at 45, I know that some looks are just too young for me to pull off nowadays. I tried on a shirt with a high, girly peter pan collar yesterday and it just looked ridiculous. Ditto skater skirts, teeny shorts or super-trendy stuff. I'm still a size 10, but knees, upper arms etc are a lot more....flabby than they once were, and best kept under wraps.

turkeyboots Fri 04-Jan-13 18:20:39

Shirts, especially patterned ones. In my head I'm all cute and hipster-ish, in fact I look like matronly bank teller.

Also skinny jeans, as look like an carrot.

LifeofPo Fri 04-Jan-13 18:10:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cloutiedumpling Fri 04-Jan-13 17:59:31

Shift dresses. I am a short waisted pear shape and they never fit me, unless I try on a petite range, when they would be so short as to be indecent. I've always wanted to wear a nice grown up shift dress. I can't wear shirt dresses either. Skater or A line styles do suit me though as long as they are not too short because they have enough fabric for my huge pear shaped hips.

Stixswhichtwizzle Fri 04-Jan-13 17:40:30

Skinny jeans I'm too fat for them blush

NickECave not much at the moment but that's because I am 34 wks pg with twins! Somit's mainly loungewear at the moment.

For work, I wear dresses a lot. Whistles have been surprisingly good over the years. Need to have At least 3/4 length levees to balance the boobs. I wear a lot of opaques/ ballet pumps. Can get away with slightly flared skirts with fitted tops (round neck rather than v neck though). I wear a lot of scarves and chunky necklaces to hid/ distract from the enormous-boobs. Casuawear, i go for straight leg jeans mostly - they need to be v straight though - no hint of a flare/boot leg. Although my maternity Topshop skinnies have been v good so might try them out post babies. Fitted tops, plain, soft colours, with a little jersey jacket worn open with the sleeves pushed up ( I have two from Anthropologie). I wear Topshop, whistles, anthro, I liked kew while it was still going, oasis (although quality getting pretty shit), M&s limited collection has occasional gems, new look for little dresses to wear with biker boots or ballet flats or chunky ankle boots.

Jumpsuits. Would love to wear one.

I went to a conference and was given a style consultation by someone there. They told me I would suit jumpsuits as I am tall. But I still cannot think that I will look nice in them being that despite being tall I am also wide (16/18).

That and shorts. Again, too flabby.

hattymattie Fri 04-Jan-13 16:43:26

I'd like to be able to pull off those mad men dresses and shoes. Alas 'tis not to be.

I'm another very straight - belt looks like its on a loo roll and bandy legs with knobbly knees. I think three children's done for me hmm

Trills because there's always someone who manages to look amazing in a binbag particular ensemble that makes us mere mortals think 'Yeah, that glittery hot pant and jacket made out cabbage leaves would be a great outfit!' grin

Trills Fri 04-Jan-13 16:07:00

Is it just me or is anyone else reading this thread and occasionally thinking why on earth would you WANT to wear that? grin

NickECave Fri 04-Jan-13 16:00:00

Hey FreeButton I'm exactly the same. What do you wear? I live out the winter in sweater dresses, opaques and knee high boots but dread the summer as I've never yet found summer clothes that look OK.

Eliza22 Fri 04-Jan-13 10:26:43

Thumbwitch.... Only went to that extreme cause I'd already bought something else !

I promised myself that when ds goes back to school I'm going to have a massive "sort " smile

ElectricMonkBelievesInSanta Fri 04-Jan-13 02:51:17

I mostly like my figure (short and hourglassy but slim), but it does make lots of clothes either very unflattering or just unworkable. Prime examples are:

* Tops which should be buttoned up - they just won't go past my boobs, unless they're much too big for the rest of me;
* Flared miniskirts - indecent, due to sticky-out bum and wide hips;
* Androgynous anything - just looks wrong;
* Drapey everything - I love cowl necks (and have a few very fitted cowl neck tops that do suit me), but I cant work anything more drapey than that even though I'd love to be able to;
* Strapless anything - even the best strapless bras don't stop it being uncomfortable and looking a bit tarty;
* Skirts (especially below-the knee skirts) with flat shoes - makes my legs look short and chunky;
* Fabric with small scale print designs on it - I don't even know why, it just looks terrible on me!

I now stick to a "grown-up goth" style - I pretty much live in black or indigo skinny jeans, very fitted vest tops and carefully chosen blazers in stormy colours, occasionally interspersed with loose chunky jumpers and/or very-slightly-a-line miniskirts. I have 2 pairs of heeled courts (one nude, one black), 2 pairs of Doc Marten boots in regular use (one with high heels and 14 eyelets, one in the classic style). Only my jewellery and my shoes keep it from being very boring indeed... I wish I could wear more interesting tops, but my boobs ruin everything very quickly by stretching it out of shape, or creating holes and making things go bobbly. It's very frustrating!

BadDog Fri 04-Jan-13 02:22:44

Huge big toes ? Oh come on. I bet they're fine!!

spudmurphy Thu 03-Jan-13 21:47:46

Sleeveless shift dresses- so smart - but i can't - Sumo wrestler arms !!!!
Skinny jeans, t shirt and a blazer- the skinny jeans are low waisted , i'm an apple and they keep sliding down!!
2013 -i will exercise, lose the tum and the big fat arms.

QueenCadbury Thu 03-Jan-13 20:49:48

Yes, I also can't do belts. I always used to feel like a freak when gok put everyone in them and thought it was just me who looked shit.

getorf I have the same problem with my waist and dresses. Have you bought one recently. If so please link. I'd love some new dresses.

ooer Thu 03-Jan-13 19:32:50

I am an hourglass.

I can't wear low-rise trousers or jeans - they are really uncomfortable and leave my lovehandles haunches feeling cold!

Also dropped/ no waists look dreadful on me.

So do high necklines.

Double-breasted is dodgy also.

Thumbwitch Thu 03-Jan-13 19:03:01

Eliza - I have that problem sometimes - I'm not sure if it's because I have kind mirrors at home (they tell me I look fine) or that reflective surfaces outside the house are just really harsh! But yes, I have left the house feeling that I look good then seen myself in a window/mirrors next to the escalator or wherever and just deflated. Never gone to the lengths of re-dressing while out though.

ifancyashandy Thu 03-Jan-13 17:50:20

I'm 43. I do 'trendy but toned down' so, I have a flared leather mini (Zara) but I wear it with opaques, thick heeled ankle boots (Aldo) and a jumper or t-shirt or shirt (probably Zara or ASOS or Whistles). Or say, I wear skinnies (but Paige - eye wateringly expensive ones to get the fit), silk shirt from Massimo Dutti, conker coloured stilettos and, say, a tweed jacket from Zara. I get told I'm stylish a lot. Are they lying confused

Although helps that I work in a traditionally young and trendy industry.

justasecond Thu 03-Jan-13 17:36:41

Sandals, I have a thing about exposing my feet as I have huge big toes blush. Live in pumps in summer.

Can't wear shirts - look immediately like an overly busty 16 yo school girl at the end of a hard day getting caught in the rain and waiting for the bus at a draughty bus stop ( with wrinkles obv). Doesn't matter how expensive the shirt is, I just look rubbish.

Trousers generally I can't manage. Fat thighs, bit of a belly, flat but flabby bum = disaster

Chunky knits = lumpy fat girl

Nothing strapless, nothing halter neck, nothing which draws attention to the norks. Occasionally, I try on some of the forbidden items just to check I am not being silly but nope, I just look like the chubby little sister trying on her tall willowy big sister's clothes ( no matter how fat or skinny I am at the time - fashion is not made for E cup, 5 ft 2, short waisted girls)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now