Styles you'd like to wear but can't?

(104 Posts)
SantasNaughtySack Thu 03-Jan-13 13:07:25

This year I'm planning to stop trying to wear things that jut aren't 'me', however much I'd like them to be! Does anyone else have this problem?
I'd love to do the androgynous look occasionally, like boyfriend jeans and a plain loose Tshirt- but I just end up looking fat and butch.
Likewise with chunky knits- gorgeous on other people but I look like a Womble sad
And lastly, scarves. I feel like I'm missing out, their always mentioned on WIWT threads, and I see so many stylish looking women my age wearing them, but I look in the mirror and just end up feeling silly.
So no more! I will admire, but not covet.

Anyone else have styles they'd love to pull off but just can't quite manage?

MirandaWest Thu 03-Jan-13 14:35:39

Shift dresses. They are never going to work on my pear shaped figure.

GetorfsaMotherfuckingMorrisMan Thu 03-Jan-13 14:36:23

I don't give a monkeys about age or rules.

But I look like a wanker in skater style dresses, which is a shame. Anything voluminous looks daft, including trousers.

I also like wool and cashmere but it itches me to death.

MrsCampbellBlack Thu 03-Jan-13 14:36:28

Dresses unless very fitted which basically means going out ones.

I have no waist really which rules out loads of stuff.

Am also short which again rules out quite a lot of stuff ie anything vaguely oversized as I just look I'm trying to conceal a pregnancy.

GetorfsaMotherfuckingMorrisMan Thu 03-Jan-13 14:38:09

I live in dresses but they are incredibly difficult to buy as I am very long waisted and the waistline on the dress is usually nearer my bust than my actual waist.

So when I get one that fits I wear it forever.

shine0ncrazydiamond Thu 03-Jan-13 14:38:31

Oh I dunno! I hear ya... but there is not much worse than seeing someone dressed as mutton - and it happens!

I wore denim hot pants with opaques about 6 months ago. I thought they looked fine until my best friend howled when she saw me and told me in no uncertain terms that I was too old... and looked like a teenager from the back and an old bastard from the front... and no, I don't have lines or anything and am a reasonably good version of 41 I suppose.

noddyholder Thu 03-Jan-13 14:39:28

Mrs CB I am the same it is easier when I am slim but still could never do a shift. I really look bad in belted coats too I have decided.

MrsCampbellBlack Thu 03-Jan-13 14:41:13

Smarter shorts with opaques would work though shiney - although I agree the denim hot pants would be a trifle hard to pull off.

I'd still love to wear denim minis in the summer with bare legs but I know that look is best left to my garden now.

BadDog Thu 03-Jan-13 14:43:03

no you see I used to think the same about age but I saw myself in a short mini skirt hte other day and despite good legs, I thought " nope",

BadDog Thu 03-Jan-13 14:43:25

also think older women in bare legs and denim skirt - NOPE

demi moore knees

shine0ncrazydiamond Thu 03-Jan-13 14:44:15

Ah you know what I look like MrsCB... and yes, they were denim shorts and just... oh they looked fine in the mirror. To me. In a moment of madness grin

Anyway, you are the very epitome of style < I've seen the evidence > and I often think ' Hmm, would MrsCB wear this? ' when I'm shopping.

The answer is usually a resounding no.

shine0ncrazydiamond Thu 03-Jan-13 14:44:50

I wear minis fairly often but always with tights

noddyholder Thu 03-Jan-13 14:45:36

Depends my knees unchanged but would only go bare legged on beach holiday. Very short skirt that looks short (I know what I mean) can look cheap but with thick tights and cashmere etc nice boots not really an age thing. Also some things look more mutton the slimmer I am No pleasing me grin Acid colours no good on oldies

Zwitterion Thu 03-Jan-13 14:47:27

Lapels. Don't know why but they just don't suit me. Always has to be collarless.

Animal print - would love to, and it looks great on others. Sadly makes me look like a twat.

cathyandclaire Thu 03-Jan-13 14:53:37

Flat shoes.

I have v v short legs and look like I've been amputated below the knee in flatties.

BadDog Thu 03-Jan-13 15:04:48

No. This was with tights. Just looked stupid.

I'm newly converted to the age appropriate school.

Never thought I would be.
Too on the nose "trendy" can look ridiculous.

noddyholder Thu 03-Jan-13 15:05:54

I don't think anyone stylish does trendy though after about 35

BadDog Thu 03-Jan-13 15:07:56

It's like piercings or tattoos on old people or anyone look bad.

noddyholder Thu 03-Jan-13 15:10:10

I think anything extreme doesn't work as at 40 you aren't really making a statement. I have reverted to that french look again it never fails but does still look cool if you look after yourself and just look 'well'. Swore I was off stripes but am wearing today grin.

MrsCampbellBlack Thu 03-Jan-13 15:10:31

I look like a sack of potatoes in anything belted. A shop assistant tried to belt a dress on me last year assuring me it would look fab. Her face was a picture when she saw how utterly awful it looked on me.

I agree re. age appropriate but my definition of age appropriate is very different to a lot of people on here.

Interesting noddy.
I would love to hear exactly which stores/brands we think DO suit us. I've never pondered this before. Mine would be Aubin&Wills (sadly they are closing down), but the truth is I find most stores don't suit me, on the whole, and that's annoying. It's all kind of random and pot luck!

BadDog Thu 03-Jan-13 15:14:05

Agree re belts. That awful gok thing made me look shit.

noddyholder Thu 03-Jan-13 15:15:48

I know Gap FC and Cos suit and fit me. I love vintage too Never wear anything I wore first time round unless toned down! Last summer I wore cropped jeans white vintagey tops and flat sandals a lot and it felt 'right'. Today have navy skinnies navy and white striped breton and looks fine. I wear very little colour though just don't like it

Perhaps wheeling off topic a bit but..

I loathe those fucking skater style frocks. The cut is so weird and infantile, and I don't think any body shape can deal with that over the age of 6. If, like me, you have issues with elastic waists then these are a horrorshow.

It strikes me as a cheap and shitty formula that most high street stores are reluctant to phase out. I have this irrational hatred of them (NOT the people who enjoy wearing them, mind!) and think that they are deeply unflattering for both busty and flat ladies alike.

I have only just realized how passionate I am about this, I ought to start a thread...grin

noddyholder Thu 03-Jan-13 15:19:17

I have never seen anyone I know in them Which ones are they?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now