My new years resolution this year is to make more effort with my appearance. Who wants to join me?

(906 Posts)
TrampyPants Sun 30-Dec-12 12:30:00

I've never really worn make up, styled my hair or bothered with how I look. That was fine when I was young and fresh. Now I'm 34 (nearly 35) and I want to look good. I have just tried to curl my hair (and failed) and sorted out my make up, throwing out stuff that doesn't suit me.

I'm in. I need to start using skincare, rather than just buying it and letting it sit on the shelf. No more doing the school run in jogging pants, get dressed properly! Lose some weight and maybe style my hair and wear a speck of makeup every day.

WoodRose Sun 30-Dec-12 16:05:16

I'm in. I have been paying more attention to grooming, skin care & wardrobe since September, but still find myself wearing jeans, fleece & no make-up more often than I should. Trying to get back into work after a 9 year career break, so any sort of boost to my self-confidence will be useful!

TrampyPants Sun 30-Dec-12 16:07:56

fab! quite a few of us to cheer each other on. how about, we check in here every day (if possible) to say what we are wearing that day, what effort we have taken and what exercise/housework/whatever we plan top do that day?

CarpeJugulum Sun 30-Dec-12 16:20:25

Oooh, as a start, can I recommend Bobbi Brown BB cream. Got some as a pressie, used it just now (as a start as you mean to go on thing!) and it's brilliant! Used some primer first (slapped it on willy nilly) and then used the BB cream.

My skin looks smooth and glow-y but not made-up. And it literally took one tiny dab on my finger end.

Sooo chuffed - can see this being an easy morning thing!

TrampyPants Sun 30-Dec-12 16:35:47

I love bb cream. I use the no7 and mix it with foundation if I need extra coverage.

Me please. I lost about half a stone a couple of months ago (all I wanted to lose) but since it got dark/cold I haven't been running so have put it on again - so that's my first target!

Also, I need to dye my hair more frequently and stop putting it off until it's desperate.

I'm happy with my make up, although I could do with a new foundation. I've been using the Garnier BB cream which was fine when I had a summer tan but is too dark now really.

Carpe - good luck re scan btw.

Today I'm wearing a jumper dress, opaques and ankle boots, plus a scarf and biker jacket. Make up done (Garnier BB / Benetint / Urban Decay Naked palette / MF mascara and Une lipstick). Hair a mess though, but at least I've now bought a hairdye!

TrampyPants Sun 30-Dec-12 17:11:13

Oooh, that sounds lovely. What colour are you going?

wickedfairy Sun 30-Dec-12 17:15:21

I'm in! DC3 is 8 weeks old now, so time to make an effort (which I didn't do before anyway)! This is my plan:

Will get my roots done more often
Wear makeup as I feel/look much better
Grow hair longer and "do" hairstyles
Pay attention to skincare
Sort out wardrobe and get rid of everything that doesn't suit or fit
Have a Pinterest board for outfit inspiration and use it!
Try and eat better and drink more water

Carpe - best of luck with the biopsy

Just brown. I've had it red for years but think it's starting to be a bit ageing and it's horrible when it fades.

StickEmWithThePointyEnd Sun 30-Dec-12 17:40:17

Wickedfairy, I'll bet in a couple of months time when your dc has started grabbing part of your face and hair that you will be cutting your hair short again wink

I need to go back to the hairdressers, I last went in august so my bob is now shoulder length and due to my irritatingly straight and useless hair, looks shit.

PackItInNow Sun 30-Dec-12 17:41:13

Count me in too. I have red blotchy skin with big open pores around my T-zone and can't find any Anti-Redness serums to calm it down. I know my skin type is oily/combination, have tried Isotrex, Benzoyl Peroxide, and all sorts of lotions and potions, but just cannot find anything that works together.

So I look like the blush emoticon with the red cheeks and a red T-zone.

Does anyone recommend a good anti-redness serum that works and is under £10?

TrampyPants Sun 30-Dec-12 17:58:48

I use no7 skin polish and its lovely, great for pores.

MmeLindorNOTYET40 Sun 30-Dec-12 18:06:07

Yes, I am going to join you.

I was conned by one of those gadget wielding women in a dept store this week and bought a nail shiner buffer thing, with cuticle remover and hand cream. It cost a bomb but I have lovely hands and finger nails now.

spottymoo Sun 30-Dec-12 18:06:17

I'm in need to make more of an effort with everything i start a college course end of january and a new business venture is in the making which i'll be doing from home so don't want to get in the habbit of thinking well i'm at home i can wear legging and baggy t-shirts.

still have the school runs to do and town trips and i know when i make an effort i feel so much better in my self.

finally found a face cream that agrees with me - having my hair redone friday and then need to re-dye it nails are pretty good most of the time.

weight and exercise need addressing but i have a plan.

Have lots of lovely clothes in the wardrobe just need to sort through them all and see what works with what and make any purchasers good purchasers rather then a snatch a grab trip.

PackItInNow Sun 30-Dec-12 18:26:54

I have a voucher forhe No7 range so will use that toward the price and try the No7 skin polish. How much is it by the way? I also have a voucher for the make-up range, but because I don't wear make-up (except on the very rare occasion), I am crap at putting it on grin. I'm sure you can imagine a short stumpy clown walking down the road LOL.

TrampyPants Sun 30-Dec-12 18:35:38

I think its about £10, very good though. Try the bb cream too, its fab.

icovetthee Sun 30-Dec-12 18:38:57

I'm in. I try to take care of myself but since becoming a mum I have been slacking. My make up is usually nice but my hair, skin and nails need work and my outfits need a complete overhaul. I have jeans that most definitely don't fit anymore but I'm saving for when I lose weight. I haven't lost weight in a year so I should really donate them and only but if I lose any.

I'd like to look young and fashionable but also dress for my size and in general look a bit more put together at the school gates.

icovetthee Sun 30-Dec-12 18:40:25

TrampyPants I have the same conditions so exercise is very difficult here too. I tried yoga, swimming, Pilates, walking etc like the doctor recommended and I just ended up in worse pain. Any tips?

mrscogon34thstreet Sun 30-Dec-12 19:05:40

Another fan of BB cream here - I've been using the Maybelline one since DS was born, even when he was 4 weeks old people were telling me how well I looked! Also it's only £8 instead of the £34 I used to spend on my YSL foundation.

I wore my new jumper (lovely angora) and black skinny jeans to lunch at MiL's and put make up on properly. Feel much better than normal.

TrampyPants Sun 30-Dec-12 19:06:46

I'm relatively newly diagnosed, so I just walk as much as possible and do physio exercizes.

SleighbellsRingInYourLife Sun 30-Dec-12 19:22:42

I'm in!

Goals

1 sort out my diastasis so I don't look pregnant any more. I've started doing the Tupler technique and can feel my (formerly brilliant, now non-existent) core strength gradually returning.

2 better grooming - I want to start using an oil on my face more regularly to help with keeping my skin soft. I have rose hip oil, but keep forgetting to use it.

3 dress properly - I haven't bought any clothes since DD3 was born 6 months ago because I can't bear to invest in stuff for my "new" (4+ years now) shape. I'm wearing old, ridiculous clothes that don't fit properly. I really need to sort this out.

Today I am wearing horrible pink cords I bought in M&S 5 years ago in desperation when pregnant with DD1 and feeling bloated and sick and just wanting trousers that didn't pinch at the waist. At the time they were a size too big. No longer sad

4 get a bit less fat - I'm breastfeeding, so can't do anything serious about losing weight right now, but will cut back again in January and stop the constant munching. Just started DD3 on solids, so the impact on my body metabolism should decrease soon.

What is BB cream?

Fingers crossed Carpe.

I will be stealing all your S&B knowledge guys, hope you know what you are talking about wink smile

TrampyPants Sun 30-Dec-12 20:17:46

Those sound really good!

Bb cream is serum, moisturiser, foundation and primer in one. Its nice and light and good for the skin.

DorsetKnobwithJingleBellsOn Sun 30-Dec-12 20:21:23

Oh me too, and going to give DD's wardrobe a makeover aswell. Just brought a fab skirt, and adding a shirt, top and trousers to start a capsule wardrobe. Have never rally waorn makeup so won't join in on that.

DorsetKnobwithJingleBellsOn Sun 30-Dec-12 20:22:17

Oh and hav eno need to dye hair as still happily strawberry blonde.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now