Why are so many things three quarter sleeved in winter?

(71 Posts)
Mrsrudolphduvall Tue 18-Dec-12 17:11:26

I know you can pop a cardi on, but sometimes it doesn't look right.
I feel the cold, and have a multitude of tops which are just sitting in my wardrobe.

Ok, I am tall, long in the arm, and big chested!

I LOVE 3/4 length sleeves

Yes I have a coat with 3/4 length sleeves and Long Gloves. I LOVE the look.

But here is the thing there are plenty of other looks i CAN'T stand, hate them with the passion.

Clothing is such a personal thing, and I think we can all find a look we hate or love, each to their own.

I KNOW at the moment 3/4 is everywhere and if you hate it then its bad luck

But next year their will be something else which you may LOVE i may HATE, its swings and roundabouts

Oblomov Wed 19-Dec-12 19:07:57

I lOVE 3/4 length. Tell me where all the stuff is. Which shops? Give me your links. I can't find none of it. Now I know why. Because you lot have it all, but don't even like wearing it. .....

H&M, New Look, Dorothy Perkins are a few stores I can think of. I had to buy new and most of the stuff suitable to bf in was 3/4 sleeves, which annoyed me but I need something to feed easily in.

MamaMary Wed 19-Dec-12 19:58:43

Agree with you OP. It's not a flattering look for me, nor is it practical. It just makes my arms look short and I have big arms so I look fatter.

carrie74 Wed 19-Dec-12 20:02:10

Yes. I also have fairly long arms, so even more irritating. It rules so much out. I do quite like the look of long sleeved tops under shorter sleeved jumpers, but it's not ideal when you're actually trying to keep warm. Should be an autumn or springtime only length.

3b1g Wed 19-Dec-12 20:02:35

YYYYY!!!
I haven't read the replies, but I hate 3/4 length sleeves as I get pains in my ulnar forearms/wrists if they're not kept warm. I find it really difficult to find full-length sleeves at the moment and if I were twenty years younger I would wear arm warmers.

Bunbaker Wed 19-Dec-12 20:09:32

"Because it's still hot inside buildings with the heating on?"

Not in my experience. None of my friends keep their central heating on during the day and the air conditioning at work is too fierce for the office to ever be warm - winter and summer alike.

Oh I love 3/4 sleeves, I just wear a long sleeved top underneath if I want to be warmer.

janmoomoo Thu 20-Dec-12 10:02:17

Agree with the OP. I don't mind the 3/4 sleeve for spring/summer or on a dress or top, but not on a winter jumper, its just weird. You wouldn't wear 3/4 length jeans in the winter and leave half the leg exposed would you? It just looks strange to have loads of cosy fabric in nice wintery colours and then a great expanse of flesh on the arm. YANBU.

noddyholder Thu 20-Dec-12 10:05:57

I love 3/4 sleeve always feels really slim and elegant and for that I WILL FREEZE!

WillieWagglingRoundTheXmasTree Thu 20-Dec-12 10:15:43

yes i like wearing a long-sleeved top under 3/4 sleeve too

WillieWagglingRoundTheXmasTree Thu 20-Dec-12 10:16:50

if i really need warmth I wear thermals underneath

MulledPinot Thu 20-Dec-12 11:12:02

exactly, nod.

dexter73 Thu 20-Dec-12 11:21:09

Doesn't that defeat the point of wearing 3/4 length sleeves if you have to wear a long sleeve top underneath?

polyhymnia Thu 20-Dec-12 11:30:41

Another 3/4 length sleeve fan here. Do have a few long-sleeved tops for when it's really cold, but otherwise with central heating etc find they are warm enough. If not, sometimes also wear a thin long-sleeved top under, which adds interest.

Can't think why someone said they don't suit large busts. Mine is large, but my arms are long, quite slender from elbow down, and my hands long and slim, so quite happy to show them off.

Bunbaker Thu 20-Dec-12 11:39:11

I find that when my wrists are cold the rest of me is as well. Also, I have long thin arms and 3/4 length sleeves just make me look gangly.

Pandsbear Thu 20-Dec-12 11:52:15

Hmm well I am sitting here with a long sleeve skinny top on as a vest, under a 3/4 sleeve dress, with cashmere cardigan and scarf on. It ain't warm in my house grin. But I do like the dress, only agree that for me the 3/4 sleeves aren't really great for cold or even chilly days.

MadAboutHotChoc Sat 22-Dec-12 14:52:58

I'm now wearing a jumper dress with 3/4 sleeves and a long sleeved top underneath - and it does not look right...

gingercat12 Mon 14-Jan-13 13:14:13

M&S are you listening?! And H&M (last year) selling 3/4 sleeves coats? Why, oh, why?!

Trills Mon 14-Jan-13 13:18:26

3/4 sleeve is better than "long" sleeves that are not properly long.

MaureenShit Mon 14-Jan-13 13:20:51

3/4 sleeved jumpers good for layering

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now