Why are so many things three quarter sleeved in winter?

(71 Posts)
Mrsrudolphduvall Tue 18-Dec-12 17:11:26

I know you can pop a cardi on, but sometimes it doesn't look right.
I feel the cold, and have a multitude of tops which are just sitting in my wardrobe.

almapudden Wed 19-Dec-12 12:45:58

Where can I buy these cashmere wrist warmers?

dexter73 Wed 19-Dec-12 12:52:29

Don't wear wrist warmers - you look like someone off Steptoe and son!

scripsi Wed 19-Dec-12 12:58:20

Another one adding to the 3/4 sleeve hate. I know they look good, but I keep feeling as if I need to pull them down.

Yep, I totally agree.

Another thing that annoys me...why do loads of nice cardis not have buttons?? Hate that too!

I most certainly do NOT look like Steptoe OR his son, I tell you! smile We're talking lovely soft, sleek cashmere not scraggy cableknit fingerless gloves.

Mine were from M&S but I haven't seen any there this year.

Brora do lovely wristwarmers, their sale is excellent. Eyeing off Hush grey ones. Toast do lovely colours. Yes, pricey but I wear them every day for 8 months of the year.

FreeButtonChristmasTree Wed 19-Dec-12 15:04:17

I love 3/4 sleeves - but I am a short arse so they are more like 5/6 sleeves on me. I have 2 pairs of long gloves. Lovely lovely oxblood leather pair (which I haven't been able to wear this year due to limited maternity wardrobe - my only coat is v unstylish) and a pair of white company grey wool wristwarmers/fingerless gloves. The second pair are v practical as you can just unhook your thumbs and push them up your arms if you need to use your hands/find something in the bottom of your handbag/answer a call on a smartphone. LOVE!

Bunbaker Wed 19-Dec-12 15:27:44

"3/4 sleeves, or bracelet length, are my fave. Many reasons - practical (don't get wet), vain (makes wrists looks elegant and skinny) and also means you get to show off jewellery."

My long sleeves don't get wet as I wear washing up gloves, my skinny wrists look even skinnier in 3/4 length sleeves and bracelets don't suit me and are always too big because my wrists are too skinny.

I have long arms and feel the cold easily as well. 3/4 length T-shirt tops are OK because I can wear a cardigan over them, but 3/4 length jumpers/cardigans and coats are utterly impractical and pointless. These garments are meant to keep you warm and with shorter sleeves they fail miserably. 3/4 length jumpers and blouses are also a nightmare to layer as the sleeves bunch up when you try to wear a cardigan over them.

Ridiculous, impractical and pointless - I agree.

StephaniePowers Wed 19-Dec-12 15:29:35

It is because the people who make these decisions are either men, or they are people who go from cab to double-glazed, centrally-heated home, cab again to nice office, out later in a warm restaurant.

They don't live lives which require that they think about being cold.

Bunbaker Wed 19-Dec-12 15:44:47

Or they have very short arms grin

LoveMyBoots Wed 19-Dec-12 15:59:27

I wear 3/4 length sleeves under sufferance. How on earth are you supposed to put a full length cardigan/jumper over the top without the sleeves of the 3/4 length top rolling up underneath? It's madness.

Johnnie Boden has a lot to answer for.

MulledPinot Wed 19-Dec-12 16:02:26

No Steptoe look here either. Perish the thought.

You know, you chilly lot could just turn your heating up... wink

Cherrypie32 Wed 19-Dec-12 16:07:26

Plus the fact that they are incredibly unflattering if you are large of chestsmile

Bunbaker Wed 19-Dec-12 16:22:44

"Plus the fact that they are incredibly unflattering if you are large of chest"

What has sleeve length got to do with it?

Well I'm 32E and I still like 3/4 sleeves. Neckline and fabric far more important than sleeve length.

Bramshott Wed 19-Dec-12 16:36:12

This is one of my pet hates - I can't bear 3/4 sleeves for any season. For me it has to be full length in the winter and short sleeves in the summer. The only possibly exception might be summer cardigans. But there's a lot of it about - in some shops almost everything is 3/4 sleeved.

dexter73 Wed 19-Dec-12 17:31:42

You can't turn the heating up outside though! My house is warm but having bare wrists makes me feel so cold. I wouldn't like to be wearing gloves inside, it would feel odd!

LucieMay Wed 19-Dec-12 17:35:06

Because it's still hot inside buildings with the heating on? I still wear t shirts in December as our office is sweltering!

MulledPinot Wed 19-Dec-12 17:48:10

Long gloves?

TheWombat Wed 19-Dec-12 17:48:21

Hush do lovely unsteptoe-y cashmere wrist warmers. I wear them with my full length sleeves. smile

FromEsme Wed 19-Dec-12 17:50:28

I hate 3/4 length sleeves. I think they make everything look a bit rank, especially if not skintight. Plus I have self-harm scars and it is SUCH a job finding something to cover them. Even blazers are all 3/4 length atm.

dexter73 Wed 19-Dec-12 17:55:25

When you talk of wearing gloves do you mean when you go out or do you actually wear them in your house? confused

orangeandlemons Wed 19-Dec-12 18:04:16

I used to be a designer....not all designers are men who want to make life difficult for women..

3/4 sleeves first reappeared about 15 years ago. Manufacturers discovered it made for cheaper items so keep producing them. If the item sells, they don't care whether they are keeping you warm or not. Theynwillmcontinue producing them as long as people keep buying them. Also a lot of designers are quite young girls who don't care about/ or feel the cold, so think it doesn't affect other people. They don't have a clue.

During my time as a designer we used to supply loads of children's jackets with detachable hoods. We just did it. It wasn't until I was a mum that I realised how useless detachable hoods are, and how easy it is to detach hood from coat permanently ( ie lose). But they still keep making them, mainly because neither the buyers or the designers tend to have children so they haven't got a clue.

evilgiraffe Wed 19-Dec-12 18:05:06

I love 3/4 length sleeves. I'm a warm sort of person so don't need long sleeves to keep me warm, and if it's cold weather I'd rather wear a skinny vest underneath a 3/4 sleeve top - easy layers and I've still got my wrists free. Being a shortarse, long sleeved tops usually have sleeves that are far too long, so the wrists get wet when washing hands. Of course I could push them up, but having relatively muscular forearms means the cuffs then get stretched and baggy and look awful.

I agree regarding 3/4 sleeve jumpers though, that makes no sense. Tops are for clement conditions, but jumpers should stop you getting cold!

orangeandlemons Wed 19-Dec-12 18:05:13

Tend not to have children...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now