What are your cheap as chips beauty and perfume favourites?

(41 Posts)
YouOldTinsellySlag Wed 12-Dec-12 13:38:13

For under a fiver? I recently bought L'Aimant Fleur de Rose perfume for 1.99, Neutrogena Norwegian Formula handcream for about 3.50 and I also love Collection 2000 black eyeliner pens ( about 3.99 I think? they last for MONTHS).

Just nosey and frugal and in an all male house (DH and 2 DSs).

YouOldTinsellySlag Thu 13-Dec-12 14:57:40

Artex, you are a woman after my own heart.

ArtexTheHallWithBoughsOfMonkey Thu 13-Dec-12 13:41:24

Barry m felt tip eyeliner thing, barry m dazzle dust, mua eyeshadows, 2true benetint rip off, boots 17 nail varnish, poundland high beam highlighter rip off, ocm, argan oil, coconut oil, lidl moisturiser.....

I love el cheapo beauty shizzle.

CointreauVersial Thu 13-Dec-12 13:31:26

Boots Essentials skincare range - the cucumber Eye make Up Remover is lovely, and less than £2 I think.

MUA and Barry M for nail varnish (in fact, pretty much any make-up).

Next Just Pink is my everyday perfume, soft fruity-floral, really cheap too.

anothercuppaplease Thu 13-Dec-12 12:06:32

I'm off to lidl...

I use St. Ives face scrub for sensitive skin every morning, have been for years and years, it's fab. Nivea Soft as night facial cream, on knees, hands, etc. When I go to asian shops I buy almond oil (much cheaper there) and use it on cuticle/nails works a treat. I also rub natural coconut oil in my hair (very frizzy) about an hour before washing and it helps control the frizz. I use avocado (when they have gone a bit too soft) as face mask. Lovely.

Bluesue26 Thu 13-Dec-12 10:35:51

I would absolutely recommend the Aldi concealer. I was buying the touche eclat pens for ages and read about the Aldi one on here. I bought one as it was only £3.49 and now wouldn't use anything else.

I think there's a lid version of miss Dior perfume, can't remember the name though, but I think it wax recommended on here.
Not a perfume, but some of the Soap and Glory range smells exactly the same, I think 'The Righteous Butter' is one of them.

I like 'Natural Collection' waterproof mascara, It's just right for everyday wear. I think it's £2.

WhoKnowsWhereTheMistletoes Thu 13-Dec-12 09:18:31

The Body Shop Earth Lovers Shower gels are lovely, the list price is £5 for 250mL, but they have been on 3 for £6 for ages.

Agree about Barry M nail varnishes (I like the glittery ones at this time of year).

Olive oil and salt as a handscrub

St. Ives face scrub, but buy on offer then you can get two tubes for a fiver.

YouOldTinsellySlag Thu 13-Dec-12 09:11:53

It's called Suddenly Madame Glamour and it's 3.99 for 50ml. In tests, users preferred it to Coco Madamoiselle. Sometimes if you get lucky it's only 1.99. It's had good reviews and isn't just a copy.

SinisterSal Thu 13-Dec-12 09:03:22

I think there's a lid version of miss Dior perfume, can't remember the name though, but I think it wax recommended on here.

YouOldTinsellySlag Thu 13-Dec-12 08:58:56

ooh some great ideas on here. My little five pound note is burning a hole in my pocket!

Aldi aqua moisturiser is identical in every way to Lancôme aqua fusion it's my new hg!

TeaBrick Thu 13-Dec-12 08:49:37

Aldi concealer is really good too

ThursdayWillBeTheDay Thu 13-Dec-12 08:35:35

Palmers cocoa butter hand cream- the best I've ever tried. Carmex lip salve-the only thing that sorts my ever fraying lips. Always buy Collection 2000 mazzie and eyeliner and their version of touche eclat- which unlike touche eclat, doesn't start to smell like dirty dishcloths after a week. I also alternate between naissance rosehip and argan as a night facial moisturiser.

WayneDeer Thu 13-Dec-12 00:02:46

use this and you will be blackhead free

rose and damask showergel by palmolive smells££££
bit of essential oil any old salt and a crappy kilner is brilliant as a scrub
hairspray sorts eyebrows out (i am not denis healy)

aimingtobeaperfectionist Wed 12-Dec-12 23:52:46

Kiwi I've just purchased two from there on your recommendation!! I hope they're good. Have no £ for the real deal.

Selks Wed 12-Dec-12 23:32:51

Sudocrem. Seriously good for sorting out minor seb derm around my nose and mild rosacea. Brilliant stuff.

kiwigirl42 Wed 12-Dec-12 23:28:01

the perfume parlour do perfume oils which are copies of well known perfumes. They have a HUGE list to choose from. I bought the shalimar copy and its really lovely and a good interpretation. Cheap as chips - about £3 for a small roller bottle which will last ages

YouOldTinsellySlag Wed 12-Dec-12 22:58:28

Enorma- I use that exact moisturisung fluid and that exact lip balm set of 3 from Home Bargains. The former is excellent and the latter has lasted me about six months so far.

You obviously have impeccable taste like what I have got.

surviving winter- it's Gres Cabotine and I think I got mine for 9.95 for 30ml online, but recently bagged a 100ml bottle for 6.95 on ebay. It's gorgeous and green. I'm always snaffling under-a-tenner perfume online.

Nobody round here smells like me! wink

kaumana Wed 12-Dec-12 22:19:27

2 True nail varnish- is fab, cheap as chips, great colours and lasts FOREVER on toe nails.

Glossynotflossy Wed 12-Dec-12 21:56:58

Barry M nail varnish
2 True nail varnish

ENormaSnob Wed 12-Dec-12 21:56:23

Olay daily moisturising fluid, SPF 15. About 4 quid. Love it.

Boots eye make up remover pads, in a small blue tub. Less than 3 quid. Usually on 3 for 2. As good as Lancôme.

Cheapo lip balm tubes from home bargains. One strawberry, 2 blue original in a pack. About 89p for all 3. Easily as good as the leading brands and better than Vaseline pots IMO.

SrirachaGirl Wed 12-Dec-12 21:43:17

Jojoba Oil. Absolutely magic. I use it as a makeup remover/cleanser and nighttime moisturizer. My skin is clearer, softer and more balanced than it has ever been. You can also use it on your hair.

You can't buy for under a fiver but a little goes a LONG way and it's multi-purpose so very good value.

kaumana Wed 12-Dec-12 21:37:58

Mua- makeup in general esp eye shadows
Soap and Glory -Breakfast scrub, Great body scrub, smells good enough to eat
Avon- Tahitian Holiday perfume, smells like holiday
Palmers - Body lotions
Maybeline- mascaras

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now