Why do bright lipsticks look great on other people...

(47 Posts)
headfairy Fri 07-Dec-12 14:02:07

But really ageing on me? I've tried so many different ones but they never look right and yet other people, even ones older than me look great in them. What am I getting wrong? I'm fairly yellow sallow, fair hair, blue eyes. In summer I tan easily hence my slightly yellowy sallow (call it olive-lite) colouring.

blackcoffee Sun 09-Dec-12 21:56:04

I think you have a lovely face which doesn't need brightening up at all

niminypiminy Sun 09-Dec-12 21:43:44

One thing that influences - probably partly unconsciously - our sense of 'what suits us' and what looks good, or pulled together, on other people, is what's generally in fashion. Not in the sense of 'this season's colours' but in the sense of large, overarching trends. So if you look at photos from the sixties, most women had nude-ish lips and exaggerated eyes, in the seventies most women had something glossy or shiny about their make-up, in the eighties face-shaping was in, and so on.

So at the moment, what's in is very heavy eye make-up and nude lips. I keep seeing a L'Oreal ad which parades that look to the nth. There's not so much bright lipstick around because it's not very fashionable, and so we are not seeing it as very attractive - or, at least, we are not seeing it as very attractive on most people. When I was out yesterday I saw two people with bright lips, and one of them was me, in the mirror.

I happened to look at some photos of Marilyn Monroe earlier, and although she has low-contrast goldeny-blonde colouring (was a natural mouse colour with brown eyes and yellow-toned skin) she wore red lipstick and looked amazing. But she did her own version of a make-up look that was in during the years of her fame.

I guess what I'm saying is that if everyone was wearing bright lips then we'd all think it suited us more.

DonaAna Sun 09-Dec-12 13:45:19

I think you look great in nude. You may really be a nude/gloss girl. Fuchsia would be Barbie doll on you.
I looked at a lot of Italians on public trasport last night and nobody wore bright lippy. Everyone wore matte mauve/mocha/rust/wine. The best look was a berry shade with subtle shine. And they looked good - not overly made-up, just pulled together.

How do coral and peach work on you?

Red lipstick is not for everyone. It's just one of those industry cliches from back when they had very few shade alternatives. It's hard to wear, you need lipliner and touchups. It works best on people who have Snow White type coloring - or the as the focal point on "colorless" people - pale blondes with alabaster skin (think Grace Kelly and Betty Draper). You have rich nuanced natural coloring, no need to fight it, you can just subtly enhance it.

Cuddledup Sun 09-Dec-12 13:12:24

OMG - the Jane Fardon website is brilliant, it's just what I need.

sleepdodger Sun 09-Dec-12 13:08:03

I have ruby woo, note there is a glossy and Matt one

cardoon Sun 09-Dec-12 12:58:10

Just ordred the Fiesta from here - thanks Panda

NagooHoHoHo Sat 08-Dec-12 21:18:08

You're so pretty smile and your children are lovely smile

I am trying to do bright lippy too. I think that I shall have to get up every morning and put it on so I am the type of woman that wears bright lipstick. I think a huge part of it is getting used to yourself.

headfairy Sat 08-Dec-12 21:01:58

Looks like a dusty pink with a bright coral colour on top. Of course that's no help to you grin

scripsi Sat 08-Dec-12 20:58:06

I know, perhaps that is how I will have to wear brights. Wish I knew what colour(s) she's wearing ... it looks so fresh.

headfairy Sat 08-Dec-12 20:55:14

That is really nice, but I do think it looks like she's wearing two different colours.

scripsi Sat 08-Dec-12 20:14:45
scripsi Sat 08-Dec-12 20:14:27

I really like sort of muted brights. I am a very pale skinned creature and the really bright reds and pinks look mad on me. But I really like this on Rachel Weisz (I tried to find it on another site but can't so I have Daily Fail shame) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2229913/Daniel-Craig-lands-tender-kiss-lips-Rachel-Weisz-named-British-Artist-Year.html

You can see her lipstick on the third photo down. It's my new obsession and have no idea where to find it. I wonder if she has a muted tone with a bright lipstick smudged over the top.

headfairy Sat 08-Dec-12 19:36:18

Ok, I've done the nude look for my lips... I just think I look washed out and tired, (pic on profile for a short time). I'm currently at a wedding (chilling out in our room for five mins) and there's a woman here with blonde hair and blue eyes wearing a fab fuchsia pink lippie. I can see her colouring is cooler than mine but its bright and she looks great. I wish I could copy that look.

TrillsCarolsOutOfTune Sat 08-Dec-12 17:34:09

From where I am standing you are "other people".

Not sure that helps grin

Iatemyskinnyperson Sat 08-Dec-12 17:31:00

You could try a light but bright shade/ close enough to neutral but with bit of colour. One of the L'Oreal rouge caresse called rose might suit

Or How about starting with a tinted lip balm? Korres lip balm in guava is a nice warmish pinky red. I find it just brightens up my face without taking over.

iamabadger Sat 08-Dec-12 16:55:11

I use NARS lipstick in a purply berry shade called Srinagar; it's not in your face but I find it brightens my whole look in the same way as the super brights do on other people. My lips get really dry and bright shades just wear off too quickly and look terrible.

PuffPants Sat 08-Dec-12 10:04:52

...oops, sent before I was finished.

Was just saying, with small lips, most lipsticks look ridiculous on me so I just smear a bit of gloss on.

noddyholder Sat 08-Dec-12 10:03:07

I only suit it in summer with a bit of colour otherwise I look dreadful. I also have to be looking my best iygwim

PuffPants Sat 08-Dec-12 10:01:51

I think it also depends on the size/shape of your lips. I have a small mouth with a tiny top lip which is also very thin. In fact my top lip is only really visible in the middle

MadAboutHotChoc Sat 08-Dec-12 09:53:02

I am a HOC winter and I can and do wear scarlet red lipsticks. If I were you I would try rose or plum.

DonaAna Sat 08-Dec-12 07:45:55

Victoria B wearing bright red lipstick (you may have to scroll down a few pics). Not a great look. No wonder she usually wears nude /mocha etc lips.

PandaG Fri 07-Dec-12 18:37:13

and there should be a red to suit everyone - you can send a photo of yourself in, and they will recommend a colour for you!

PandaG Fri 07-Dec-12 18:36:26

poo. didn't convert the link!

www.janefardon.com/what-colours-suit-me/

PandaG Fri 07-Dec-12 18:35:58

try this page http://www.janefardon.com/what-colours-suit-me/

you can see what skin colour you are, and then search for recommended colours of lippy. I use this makeup all the time and am very happy with it.

headfairy Fri 07-Dec-12 18:29:38

niminy it would appear that Victoria Beckham/Sophia Loren probably suits me, which is odd being blonde with blue eyes. Maybe at the grand old age of 42 it's time to give up my quest to find a red lipstick that suits me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now