RED DIRECT 40% OFF - BEWARE IS THIS A SCAM?

(48 Posts)
bananamilkshake Thu 06-Dec-12 07:31:23

I realise there is another thread on this but have just checked my Bank account and noticed that they have taken the money for my order. I too ordered a MK watch and scarf - had not received anything and sent email yesterday to find out where it was- had email last night at 22.45 saying cancelled etc as out of stock. Sent complaint email this morning about poor service - saw other thread and thought better check bank and noticed money gone! Husband thinks is a scam - has anyone had calls back from supervisor etc - will update if get any more info>

bananamilkshake Fri 07-Dec-12 14:40:12

I have had a reply basically offering apologies and over demand & technical issues with updating stock levels being reason for problem. Surely someone would have realised that demand was actually far higher than anticipated and that they did not have a never ending supply of watches quite early on. Had they put a stop to the whole thing and told us what was going on I would have been upset at not getting my order but at least they would have been upfront about the situation. What gets me is I have had to do all the chasing! They have managed to source one of my items and have offered a refund of postage. I only placed the order because I wanted the watch and the scarf was added as an afterthought. The offer of refund on postage is not really acceptable either as most companies would give free postage in the first place on this amount of order. What still concerns me is i was told this morning a refund was actioned yesterday and now they will arrange a refund so I still do not know what's going on. Quite frankly I just want my money back and will never deal with them again.

BuntysFestiveCollocks Fri 07-Dec-12 14:47:10

To give hope - I ordered a bag on Friday. Still haven't received it, so phoned red (again) to ask where it is. They are nigh on useless, but got out of them that it was coming straight from supplier. Phoned the supplier- excepti

WaxyBean Fri 07-Dec-12 14:47:38

I'm beginning to wish I hadn't posted the code on this board now. But in fairness, I had ordered from them before without any issue (last time only a week or so before this code came out) and hadn't anticipated a balls-up on this scale.

I've just phoned them to find out the status of my order. 2/6 items were cancelled, and 4/6 are being dispatched today. I don't think I ordered the most popular items though (eg MK watches/alex monroe necklaces), and did order as soon as I received the email.

They have been completely overwhelmed with orders but that doesn't excuse their subsequent actions, taking money for orders they can't fulfill and the complete lack of pro-active communication especially regarding cancelled orders/items.

Shame on you Red. You will lose valuable custom as a result of this shambles.

BuntysFestiveCollocks Fri 07-Dec-12 14:48:54

Stupid phone ... Exceptionally helpful. They had supplied red with the tracking number (not passed on to me!), and my package is currently (I believe) languishing at a neighbours thanks to fed ex being shit.

In summary - order successful, red are a bit shit, fed ex are very shit delivering to the wrong house, and babybeau are most excellent.

bananamilkshake Fri 07-Dec-12 15:01:52

waxy bean - don't feel like that please - thanks for sharing it in first place - this is all down to red's incompetence - things go wrong but being upfront about them puts a whole different perspective on a situation

jumpinghoops Fri 07-Dec-12 15:17:19

I agree that I really don't care about the items anymore, that disappointment is long forgotten, I just want my money back in time to be able to re- purchase ( in my case Xmas gifts). I feel really uneasy about the whole thing.

bananamilkshake Fri 07-Dec-12 20:41:14

Finally have had some success - been offered some compensation & delivery should come next week . I'm keeping my fingers crossed as won't be completely reasured until this is all resolved.

monkeysmama Fri 07-Dec-12 21:59:32

I ordered ten things and got 5 today with an invoice which said the other 5 were cancelled and will be refunded. It seems the full amount has come out of my account. They all came direct from the sellers.

teejwood Fri 07-Dec-12 22:24:34

May I join the communal whinge? I ordered a bunch of smaller gifts (so not AM necklaces or MK watches) and having seen this thread called Red earlier today. Apparently 3 of the items I ordered are not being delivered as they are now out of stock. They assured me that I have been charged only for the items that have been dispatched hmm and that I was only charged when the items were dispatched - double hmm. Will be keeping an eye on my bank statement and my post to see what transpires - thanks for the heads up so I am forewarned, all.
And Waxy please don't worry - tis not your fault at all and at the end of the day we will still be getting a decent discount on what does turn up!

jumpinghoops Fri 07-Dec-12 22:44:28

Teejwood, when I asked Customer Services this morning why I had been charged for items that were out of stock I was told there was nothing they could do to stop this as payment is taken automatically when you check out.

I'm not sure I believe this as payments showed on my account 5 days after I checked out- maybe they're just thinking on the spot a bit!-however, if it's true then I imagine everyone will be charged for all the purchases they've made regardless of whether they can be fulfilled or not.

DIddled Fri 07-Dec-12 22:57:20

One of my Mk watches came, it wasn't the one I wanted the most but it's actually really nice- it's the slimline one. Waxy- thanks so much as I wouldn't have it if you hadn't posted x

teejwood Fri 07-Dec-12 23:52:02

jumping tbh I think they are thinking on the hoof a bit so will be checking everything to make sure it's right! I do wonder if it makes a difference depending upon the fulfilment partner?
The comment they made to another MNer earlier about a whole consignment of Alex Monroe necklaces being defective (sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick, have wine-brain on)- seriously? I really, really cannot imagine that. Again suspect Red may have been thinking on the hoof...

teejwood Fri 07-Dec-12 23:53:07

DIddled - is that a diddle nc for this thread? and if so have you watched to the end of you know what???
<apols for highjack>

Meggles76 Sat 08-Dec-12 06:50:49

Well about 10 mins after my call to them yesterday, there was a knock at my door and it was the said Ash Jalouse boots! So actually, I was lucky and no problems with my order.
The boots are just lovely. A great fit and heel height. They are a great black/grey colour and I know they will get tons wear. Thank you WAXY for posting code. I could never have paid full price!

WeightyKaty Sat 08-Dec-12 08:09:42

I ordered some earrings on Sunday and today I received an email saying they are out of stock! How did it take almost a week for them to tell me this? These were the only items I actually needed as are a gift. Really not impressed. What did they expect if they are offering such a big discount?

knitknack Sat 08-Dec-12 09:04:44

That was me TJ and yes, I was HIGHLY suspicious about that too! Chinny reckon, etc.

BuntysFestiveCollocks Sat 08-Dec-12 11:53:07

I have my bag!

waxy - please don't worry smile

My email arrived this morning, as did (part) of my order. On checking the website, one of the other items I ordered a week ago is still showing as available hmm.

chocolateteabag Sat 08-Dec-12 14:11:36

I received my order minus the lepoard print scarf which was the reason I ordered in the first place angry
But they have only charged me for what I ordered.

Why did they keep extending the 40% off when stock was clearly low? Now they have a massive job to sort out all the refunds and will lose customers ongoing - not a great way to run a business!

mysteryfairy Sat 08-Dec-12 21:34:58

Like another poster I've received size 3 ash trainers, despite ordering a 5! They look v cute and dainty unlike my feet. Hard to believe the level of incompetence!

Interesting that there are no proper t and cs on the website (which is so poorly maintained it states VAT is 15%) and payment has been taken. Was philosophical about not getting 3 out of 4 items initially but now wondering if a contract was formed when they took the cash.

sansucre Mon 10-Dec-12 22:51:04

I also have a negative experience to report.

Purchased a pair of Ash wedge boots. Confirmation email sent last Sunday and money taken from my account on Monday.

Emailed them on Friday asking for a tracking number/more information and mentioned this thread on here. No repsonse.

Called them today and surprise surprise, they've cancelled my order. Although the lady I spoke with was nice, she didn't seem to understand why I was so annoyed that Red Direct hadn't bothered to communicate anything to me, and why I was rather incensed that I only knew my order was cancelled because I had called them.

One thing is certain, I won't be using Red Direct again, am appalled at their lack of service with this.

Oh, and if anyone from Red Direct is reading this, you really need to address this entire fracas, your silence and lack of responsibility is shocking.

TheFallenMadonna Mon 10-Dec-12 23:10:34

Well, I got my stuff in pretty good time. One item the day after ordering, one two days later and the last one one week later (a Saturday, which I wasn't expecting).

Djembe Mon 10-Dec-12 23:19:20

I emailed them to enquire when I could expect to receive my Alex Monroe necklace and they replied to say my order had been cancelled and 'any money taken will now be refunded' hmm

Cheers Red Direct, another lost customer here. Won't be using them again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now