Am I the only happily muttonous woman on MN?

(66 Posts)
StockingFilly Tue 04-Dec-12 21:36:39

I am 35. I am mutton - or at least mutton waiting to happen. I may Wrll end up like that Liz off Corrie one day.

I like thigh high boots, animal print, tight dresses and a bit of cleavage on a night out.

Are the rest of you really all wearing lovely, ladylike LK Bennet dresses or Joules/Boden/Great Plains mumwear? Is there nobody else that will admit to being a wanton whore? <sadface>

Is it really just me? (peplum dress from Topshop for one!)

I'll get me (fur) coat....

OneHandFlapping Sat 08-Dec-12 14:51:40

I suspect I'm a 1664. But to my mind that's better than looking 64 all round.

wine to muttonhood!

madmomma Fri 07-Dec-12 20:33:28

I'm feeling so much love for everyone on this thread.
I am Lesley Joseph only 4st heavier
I have leopard print skinnies, slagboots aplenty, hotpants, minis...
Full face of Joan Collins slap everyday and a huge shiny showpony mane.
I.Love.It.
I will never, ever be invisible. I will be the old woman in purple. Today I wore a bowtie weirdo

Earthymama Fri 07-Dec-12 13:55:10

I had the best fun dressing up wearing wonderful clothes in my 30s and 40s, I wore jumpsuits and stilettos, fishtail strapless dresses, mini skirts and maxi skirts, had my head shaved at the back. I regret nothing! smile
My favourite outfit, which I first wore to see Tina Turner in concert so it was a tribute thing; round necked black top,
leather mini skirts with zips up the front of each leg.
fishnet tights,
DM boots,
Leather biker jacket. Blonde spiky hair (Depleted the ozone layer on my own!!)

I love to see my DD doing the same, though she isn't as crazy as I was, she always looks stunning.

Someone said earlier it is about expressing your personality and being comfortable enough to carry your look. One of my friend does the Boden thing and she always looks great as she accessorises with quirky scarves and boots.

I have chosen a very different look for my middle age, still different from the M&S look that is often seen as requisite on MN for grandmothers. The freedom from needing to be seen as a predominately sexual being is indeed liberating. grin

MardyArsedMidlander Fri 07-Dec-12 13:21:00

Hahahaha at atomic mutton!!!!

Today I am wearing skull top, black lacy jumper and shiny tight black jeans. And I am the same age as Helena Bonham Carter- cough cough wink

InNeedOfBrandyButter Fri 07-Dec-12 12:58:58

I'm 24 but I love animal print, faux fur, red lipstick, thigh highs, fish nets, jump suits, fuck me shoes, really really tight clothes, love having my legs out although pencil skirts not mini minis apart from on a night out I wear eyeliner most days, and I do like tunics but ones with a belt for my waist and tights.

StockingFilly Fri 07-Dec-12 12:56:04

Tee hee. Loving that at35 I am 'too young' grin

to answer the question 'what do you like about these things' (miaow)...I like feeling glammed up and after finally (four years later!) losing my baby weight and having a waist again, I like having a figure I dont have to swamp in lose fitting tunics or hide with 'clever dressing'. It will probably have all gone to pot in 10 yrs time, so feel I need to make the most of it now.

ArcticRoll Fri 07-Dec-12 12:31:02

35 -way too young to be considered mutton!

fleacircus Fri 07-Dec-12 12:03:44

God, wish I could summon up the wearwithal (hah) to be mutton. Am just scruffy.

RamblingRosa Fri 07-Dec-12 11:59:24

Not sure I'm quite up to your standards of youthful dressing but I'm not averse to a veeery tight pair of skinny jeans, bum skimming mini skirts, long hair, short dresses etc. Having said that, I also like quite conservative brands like Hobbs and Boden confused.

CalamityKate Fri 07-Dec-12 10:58:36

Me me me!

I'm 45. It's true - you're a long time dead. Also, I'm not generally much of a dresser-upper; I look like a road accident much of the time. I dress for comfort and warmth, especially in this weather. But when I go "out out" I like to look very different than I do day to day. If that means a short skirt or dress or a "tit top" as my DH calls it, then fine.

I'd never look at someone and think "You're dressed too young".

However, I do look at some teenagers and wonder if they've actually got any friends. Or a mirror. Tight, stretched-to-seethroughness leggings over massive arses teamed with tight stretchy tops that are SO tight you can see every contour of their navel. I don't think it's an age thing.

StockingFilly Thu 06-Dec-12 20:32:10

Lovely to see so many fellow mutton-ers! OK OK ....lambs grin

SolidGoldYESBROKEMYSPACEBAR Wed 05-Dec-12 14:32:10

Oh and I am 48. Mind you, having always been more of a rock chick/steampunk type, my social circle is a bit more forgiving in terms of what to wear than mainstream fashion (again, true all my life. Most of my teens involved half my friends going 'But you can't wear that!')

SolidGoldYESBROKEMYSPACEBAR Wed 05-Dec-12 14:30:34

OH, I'm atomic mutton when I get going (though everyday wear is more likely to be jeans, wellies, frumpy coat etc just because I CBA when I'm not going anywhere). Nights out mean dodgy slogan t-shirts, leggings, New Rocks, sweary badges, steampunk trimmings, leopardprint.

But the way I dress has been annoying other people for most of my life so I see no need to change.

onyx72 Wed 05-Dec-12 14:26:30

Better to be a bit of mutton than a touch of frump.

Fuckitthatlldo Wed 05-Dec-12 14:22:34

I just dislike the idea that women, once they are a 'certain age' should try to be invisible.

The underlying message is that once you are no longer fertile, there is no need for men to notice you, so the only dignified thing to do is to fade into the background.

Well sod that! I'm knocking on forty but I feel the most attractive I've ever felt. And if I want to make the most of that and wear what I like, then I will!

MarianForrester Wed 05-Dec-12 13:20:30

Sometimes I do describe my dressed up look as "Footballer's Mum"

Or Rock Hen...

So it's not just you, op smile

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Wed 05-Dec-12 13:18:31

'always look right on you'

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Wed 05-Dec-12 13:17:09

49 here and slightly muttonous. I like to think of it as ^youthful*.
I agree, so many women, of all ages, seem to wear a series of interchangeable shapeless jeans/baggy tops/soft-soled shoes.
In fact, I look back at myself 25, 15, 10 years ago and realise that a lot of the styles I wore were very aging - thinking of long, droopy skirts in particular.
I don't have the budget to really let rip, but I make the most of what I can afford, and save the fleeces for walking the dog in isolated countryside.

But, until you know what suits you, it's difficult to avoid opting for the sensible, read aging, approach.
Those of you into super-high heels and animal print, probably just have a dramatic/natural element to your style, which will always look right on them, whereas someone whose style is naturally more subdued will look uncomfortable and never quite right in leopard, whether young or old.

Must say, though, I bought a velvet mini the other week, it's well above the knee, and it came from <coughs> Mistral!

Ooh what Leather leggings have you got MrsCB??

MrsCampbellBlack Wed 05-Dec-12 13:08:05

I think people worry too much about being mutton. I mean I rarely see anyone who I think is too mutton.

CambridgeBlue Wed 05-Dec-12 13:04:26

Netto your outfit sounds fab, I've just been on the Asda website looking for your Animal top! I have lost weight recently and can fit into the kids' sections again which is great but I do wonder sometimes if a nearly 40 year old should be choosing from the same selection as her 10 year old daughter!

I live in fear of being mutton but my liking of animal print/sparkle/biker jackets and most of what I wore as a teenager plus my generous cleavage means I am bordering on it most of the time. I can't walk in high heels though so that's a bonus I suppose smile

MrsCampbellBlack Wed 05-Dec-12 13:01:29

Its more fun though Hully than the sad greige clothes that so many women cover themselves up with.

I get that other people aren't so interested in clothes as some of us but I love to see people who clearly enjoy what they wear.

HullyEastergully Wed 05-Dec-12 12:52:42

I don't care about mutton, but Bet Lynch is never a good look IMO

middleagedspread Wed 05-Dec-12 12:50:42

I'm paranoid about being Mutton...However I often see very stylish women of my age (Very, very late 30's, 46) dressed in Mutton clothes & they look fantastic.
If you have the panache to carry it off go for it.

MrsCampbellBlack Wed 05-Dec-12 11:10:22

I wore leather leggings to DD's nativity yesterday.

And if you regularly read S&B you'll know there's a lot of love for animal print/sequins/shorts on here wink

I don't actually want to look mutton but I do like to look stylish or at least try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now