thats it! i am fed up of being cold. help me find a down coat please..

(36 Posts)
shelley72 Thu 29-Nov-12 17:19:42

that is knee-ish length, has a (furry) hood and will keep me warm. added complication is that im just pregnant (8wks) so i am likely to be expanding over the winter months. usually a sz 10, 5'7. wide at shoulders and hips and go in a bit at the waist though not for much longer so some coats can make me look a bit boxy.

dont mind spending a bit if its likely to last beyond this winter, but not for maternity wear, this will be my last pregnancy. does such a coat exist?

ShirleySharpeyes Thu 06-Dec-12 19:37:35

Lots of styles, sizes and colours of Didriksons Coats here, This site was linked to on the warm and waterproof coat thread ... two days after I bought mine elsewhere at a much higher price (grrrrr). Still love it though and would recommend.

QuinnFabray Thu 06-Dec-12 19:21:31

Is there anywhere with Didrikson's still in stock? Size 8 or 10.

AgathaF Thu 06-Dec-12 18:24:04

cjones - please stop advertising your twitter page on these boards in all of your threads.

mignonette Thu 06-Dec-12 11:08:02

Buying down goods without knowing of the cruelty involved in their production camouflage be helped. None of us can know everything. I also understand that you cannot always afford to ditch something because you learn in retrospect that it is unethical. What i have done is to email manufacturers and stores asking them to consider lobbying for improved information about sources of goods and treatment of animals. That'd probably be just as effective as simply not buying. And mention this cruelty to those around you

cjones Thu 06-Dec-12 11:07:46

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

AgathaF Thu 06-Dec-12 10:18:28

I believe the Didriksons are on the large side, so people usually need to size down at least one size. Apparently they are really warm - made in Sweden I think, for Swedish winters!

shelley72 Thu 06-Dec-12 09:37:49

thank you for all the replies - and pointing out that down can often involve cruelty (though i already own a down gilet and bedding blush).

anyway i DO like the look of the Didrikson Lindsey as it looks from the picture as if it nips at the waist. But is it warm enough? And how is their sizing? I am usually a 10/12 but was going to go a little larger to accommodate any expansion, but at the same time not drowning me around the top half. Which size should I go for? And are there any bargains to be had online?

thank you.

LakeFlyPie Mon 03-Dec-12 17:54:01

Thanks AgathaF for highlighting the cruelty involved in production of down coats.
I had no idea and had been considering getting one recently.
Will rethink and look at humane alternatives.

moonstorm Sat 01-Dec-12 21:19:26

I just can't believe what people will do. I felt so bad using the coats today. But they are bought and I can't afford to ditch them and buy new.

I saw on the Peta website that even wool is cruel. Really?! Are there any humane animal products?

AgathaF Sat 01-Dec-12 08:52:15

I have read that all down products contain a proportion of live-plucked down. There was an article in The Guardian (I think) where they contacted lots of retailers and none of them could guarantee that the down in their products was obtained humanely. Apparently, the supply chain becomes so confused that no-one really knows where or how the down was obtained, and goose down is almost always live plucked. It is really shocking.

mignonette Fri 30-Nov-12 18:20:56

I certainly would not touch the luxe Hungarian goose down bedding as that is live plucked and am trying to get answers from other bedding producers. Will switch to non feathers immediately should they be unable to confirm humane conditions.

moonstorm Fri 30-Nov-12 18:14:35

Does this cruelty apply to other areas such as bedding (duvets/ pillows etc)?

moonstorm Fri 30-Nov-12 18:11:55

I dodn't know that about down coats sad. The dses each have one and I have just bought one. I won't be buying them again sad. I assumed that they were a bi-product of the food industry (I eat meat and like to think that nothing goes to waste), but also humane-ness should be at the top of the list. sad

mignonette Fri 30-Nov-12 17:40:09

I had no idea either. I despair, I truly do at the vileness of this World even though I know there is a lot of good too. As they say, the devil does a lot of advertising!

spiderlight Fri 30-Nov-12 16:03:32

mignonette that is awful! It sounds terribly naive but I had no idea - just hadn't thought it through. I'm vegetarian and don't wear leather and I will certainly never buy down again having read that.

ShirleySharpeyes Fri 30-Nov-12 10:16:13

Buy a Didriksons one instead of down - I have bought the Taylor recently and it is fantastic, long, warm and immensely waterproof (I live in rain soaked and now frozen Dartmoor, so it has been sufficiently tested in the last week!). I would not be parted from it now, and I wonder what I wore before.

AgathaF Fri 30-Nov-12 09:26:58

Please don't buy a down coat - they are unspeakably cruel.

FloralWellies Fri 30-Nov-12 09:07:25

Lands End have 30% off today. Code is MERRY30

IndigoBarbie Fri 30-Nov-12 08:56:46

I'd take a look at didriksons I have last years Elly and it is the most amazing coat I've ever owned. This will be lasting me for the next 10 years easily. The hood stays up even in the strongest wind and rain, it's waterproof and cosy.

mignonette Thu 29-Nov-12 20:55:06
emsyj Thu 29-Nov-12 20:54:09

TK Maxx.... I've just bought one last month and I am so in love with it. I keep telling anyone who will listen how bloody marvellous it is to be warm!

They have tons in TK Maxx - I'm pregnant too (31 weeks now) so I didn't want to buy anything with a belt at the moment, and didn't want to spend a fortune on something that would probably not fit by next winter - I got a down filled Fenn Wright Manson coat reduced from £220 to £80 but there were about 3 others that I would have been happy to buy for similar prices. You need ideally to go to a store though as the range in the shop is much better than what they've got online at the moment.

madmomma Thu 29-Nov-12 20:53:42

I just got a super one from tkmaxx and it feels gorgeous. It was about £60 but I think they had cheaper ones too.

pocketandsweet Thu 29-Nov-12 20:34:08

I bought my squall online ( in clearance section) but added a discount code ( they do allow code stacking BOO Boden). It came to about £50. Bargain . Do look around for codes if buying LE

MsElleTow Thu 29-Nov-12 20:14:39

I've got a Lands End one. I'm lucky enough to live near the factory and outlet, so when I bought it in the sale, it was really cheap. It is so, so warm and snuggly.

BobbiFleckmann Thu 29-Nov-12 20:11:54

moncler outlet website has an offer on at the moment and loads of toasty coats (though there is an article in the Daily Fail today about how unbelievably cruel down coats are - they pluck them live :-o)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now