HoC deep brown summer - is gold a total no-no?

(24 Posts)
Hopefully Sun 25-Nov-12 19:45:58

grin at colour clinic. Web chat would be fun though.

By muted I just mean the opposite of bright, so yes, if it looks the right tone next to the other colours. One thing to watch for is whether it looks muted but actually it's because the fabric has black in. Then it will look more dull, and won't tone in with the other colours.

wickedfairy Sun 25-Nov-12 16:43:47

Thanks Travel - I will go and take a look once I have time! The pink one is nice, although not a colour I would previously have considered. They only have one size left online, but maybe they would have more sizes in the shop.

What do you mean by muted? I don't really understand. How would I know whether something was muted enough? Do you mean if it looks like the "right" shade next to my other colours? Thanks

BloooCowWonders Sun 25-Nov-12 16:20:45

Messmonster - I was 'done' earlier thus year and came out as a deep summer. All my best colours are the ones you mention. So I don't think the analysis or phrases have changed.

Not sure about the neutral colour, depends how muted that silver grey is. Worth a try though, as it goes well with the jeans so is probably right. Or you could look at it in the pink

Good idea to hold off style day until bambino a bit older - I am amazed you are evening thinking about clothes and style at this stage! grin Sounds like you know what you like though, which helps - I bought things that were not my style, early on, just because they were the right colour, and that was a mistake.

cardoon Thanks for the vote of confidence! I am on a mission to sort my studio out at the moment, maybe Hopefully & I could do an MN webchat sometime next year (providing MNHQ and HoCHQ approve, of course!)

cardoon Sun 25-Nov-12 12:06:38

Have you two (travelincolour & Hopefully) ever thought of opening a colour clinic on here! It would be fab grin (pleasepleaseplease)

Thanks for the reassurance, I will keep working at it....

My colour analyst was about to undergo major surgery so don't really want to bother her

wickedfairy Sun 25-Nov-12 11:07:49

Hi Travel,

Thanks so much for your recommendations! I really like them all, with the exception of the leather skirt (just not me). The heather jeans page - that is the kind of look I like and would like to look like! I have never really considered wearing lighter jeans as I always thought they would make me look fatter - that whole look is good though. Unfortunately they are only 30'' legs - I need 33'' legs, which those other Uniqlo jeans are - must go and try a pair on!

Would the jumper she is wearing suit me too? I really like it with the button detail, it drapes nicely and I like the colour as well - would that colour suit me?

I would like to go on the style day but I will have to wait a little while. Had baby#3 just 3 weeks ago and will be on maternity for a while. Once I am back at work and get some proper wages again, I will book it.

I just need to make sure that the few clothes I do buy now are actually in my colours, so I don't waste my money! I have only a few clothes now that are suitable and I am getting rid of al my stuff that is in the wrong colours (quite a bit). I will try so hard to stay away from black! It's the inner teenage goth in me coming out - black made me look half dead then (which was what I wanted), but I would rather look a lot nicer now!!!

Will check out that blog you linked to - hopefully the baby will sleep a bit and the other two wont start fighting while I have a look! Thanks again, that is really appreciated! If you could let me know what you think of that jumper I mentioned above, that would be great - I really do like it, I hope it will like me smile

Hopefully Sun 25-Nov-12 10:25:15

cardoon I know more than one Spring company director who is frighteningly serious looking when they need to be, without stepping an inch away from their colours. Using the spring colours doesn't mean dressing in tangerine, apple and geranium every single day (although it would look fab!)

Just joking on the CBeebies front - just meant that the brightest colours suit you best smile
There are lots of great Spring neutrals too - bright navy / tan / cream will all look brilliant, and then use the brights as e.g. a watch or a bag or costume jewellery.
Do give your consultant a call if you are having a wobble - mine was really helpful when I first had mine done (before I trained).

cardoon Sat 24-Nov-12 23:18:28

Thanks for your help - I don't think I'll ever get the hang of this as I have no wish to look like a CBeebies presenter sad

Green in first link is Summer.
Lots of Spring colours here
(think CBeebies presenter wink)

cardoon Sat 24-Nov-12 22:38:48

i thought you might say that! I was trying to convince myself it would pass for violet hmmgrin. I'm not very good at this.....

The green in the first link is a no no too isn't it.....

No chance! That's a very cool burgundy. sad

this is more of a Spring red - think tomato, rather than cherry. Actually that looks orange on the catwalk hmm

this is Spring orange

Think bright, light, clear, warm. smile

cardoon Sat 24-Nov-12 22:18:27
messmonster Sat 24-Nov-12 22:08:26

Thanks travel. I would be interested in doing it again I think. I might treat myself to a style day and re-rate in the new year. I don't think I'd be a Brown summer now I know what it is!

Sorry for the hijack wicked smile

No worries!
cardoon When you unfold the colours from the wallet there are two sides with the squares of fabric in, I simply mean to use the side of strip that doesn't have the closest colour in. So e.g. if you are not sure if a purple is actually Spring violet, see if it tones with the greens / neutrals, rather than trying to see if it matches the violet swatch.

I'm talking about HOC here, as that's who I trained with. Other systems you need to match the colours.

messmonster Your ratings may have changed in 12 years, so the deep colours may not work so well on you now. You'll still be a Summer. Brown summers are the summer closest to Autumn, so we suit the muted browns and pinkish beige colours. A colour re-rate is £40, if you are curious!

messmonster Sat 24-Nov-12 21:56:25

Wow! So pleased I found this thread. travel please could i be cheeky and ask a question?

I had my HoC colours done about 12 years ago. At the time, I was described as a dark summer so my double stars were the darker of the air force blues, grape, the bottle green, the raspberry colour (can you tell I don't have my wallet to hand smile) etc. What would I be called now? Until this thread, I'd never heard of a Brown Summer before.

Tia x

cardoon Sat 24-Nov-12 21:21:18

travelincolour could you clarify opposite side of the wallet? Do you mean if you have a colour close to 10 you turn the strip over and compare it to 25? Does this work with all seasons? I'm a struggling spring.

Best thing to do is to use your wallet. All the colours in there are good for you, and actually, a quarter of all colours are good for you! The colours in the wallet are precision dyed, like the drapes, so you won't find clothes in those exact colours (precision-dying v expensive).

The most important thing is that the colour of the potential new garment 'tones in' with the colours in the wallet. The best way of seeing this is to use the opposite side of the wallet to the colour that is closest. So, for example, if you are trying to see if the rose madder is a match, use the opposite side with the airforce blue etc on. If the colours look equal weight etc, then they are yours. It's easy otherwise to convince yourself that the colours match (that's why removal of glasses / earrings etc is important in the analysis).

I buy a lot of stuff from ebay (love to filter by colour!)
Of the new stuff I've bought for what it's worth, includes:
a pale pink scoop neck in H&M
this in pale blue (the pale pink is Summer too, I think)
this in the paler blue (It's close to cornflower blue)
this in the 67 blue, the 60 blue is also Summer.

Do you think you will go back for the style day? That makes it easier to choose clothes online. Great blog about online shopping here.

It sounds like you and I have quite different styles, despite being similar sizes. I can't do draping / ruching at all - everything needs to be small and neat.

Will have a go though:
this in 67
wine / burgundy is fantastically useful for blazers / tights / jeans / skirts.
gorgeous Summer pink
this looks rose brown to me
neutral scarf
heather jeans
bit of leather!

Try to avoid black if you can. It is difficult, there is such a tendency in the UK to create outfits by using one colour plus black. Three colours (or maybe more!) from the same palette look so much more sophisticated. You can see that, even from the garments I've linked above, they all go together, from a colours point of view. To make them all go together from a style point of view is the next step.

wickedfairy Sat 24-Nov-12 19:09:14

p.s. that silver blazer is lovely. Was not thinking of any occasion in particular, was just thinking of trying to get some basics in - that would be for party season though!

wickedfairy Sat 24-Nov-12 19:07:09

Hi Travel,

Thanks for your advice! I am struggling getting my head around this! I got my colours done about 9 months ago but did not buy or look for anything as have been pregnant and now my baby is here, I am looking to buy some new clothes (didn't want to when preg - maternity stuff is grim anyway). My HoC consultant took some time to place me as she said I was very borderline.

Would you mind if I asked a few questions please? I generally don't have a clue about clothes and I really want to make an effort to look stylish (in a casual way) - the colours that looked best on me were things like madder rose, mushroomy/taupey colours, a deep emerald and auberginey colour. I think I like the madder rose/mushroomy colours the best.

In my wallet she has marked colours 3, 4, 5, 19, 25-26, 31-34 as either * or **, so these are the ones I would like to concentrate on getting clothes in, I suppose.

Do I try to find all my clothes in these colours? What is the best way to shop? I now have 3 children, so get to the shops very rarely and have not really done much online shopping yet - are there specific shops that you have found caters well for being a Deep Brown Summer? Sorry to bombard you with questions - no-one really seems to be the same colouring as me, until you posted!! I generally tend to like and wear skinny jeans and like the drapey/blazer and scarf look that is around (Hush, Mint Velvet look) but have never been able to make it "work" for me! Am 35, 5'8'' and a size12, if that is any help.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!! (sorry about the essay!)

Hi fairy, I'm a HOC consultant and a deep brown Summer smile.
The colour of the sequins (brown and blue) is perfect, so that's probably why you felt it looked OK. Brown Summers can wear mixed metals, but silver is better than gold when worn on its own.

If you have only just had your colours done I would hold off buying anything big for a while. It takes a while to get your eye in. Is there a particular occasion you would be buying that for? If so, there are a few silver sequin jackets around, like this ASOS one

I also think that you would regret buying something black once your wardrobe comes together with the gorgeous muted Summer colours, as it will not go with anything else.

gymboywalton Sat 24-Nov-12 17:12:26

if youn like it, wear it!!

wickedfairy Sat 24-Nov-12 17:11:37

Apparently I am a deep brown summer, although the lady took a long time to place me..... So I believe I suit silver jewellery and not gold.

I was at the shops today and saw a lovely evening jacket, however, it is the black and gold version.

I thought it looked ok on me, but from my colour analysis I should not suit it. I am rubbish with clothes, so I don't trust my own judgement!

What do you think? I have brown hair, pale skin, blue eyes any most of my jewellery is silver/platinum..... TIA!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now