Good hand cream for a Christmas gift?

(38 Posts)
AllYoursBabooshka Sat 17-Nov-12 22:10:25

Just trying to sort out what to get my lovely MIL for Christmas.

I know she likes her hand creams but would rarely get anything "nice" for herself unless it was on a really good offer so was thinking of getting her some as part of her gift this year.

If anyone has any ideas it would be a big help.

Thanks! smile

TigerseyeMum Mon 19-Nov-12 19:41:43

Neals Yard also do an intensive hand treatment cream which I am tempted to try, I trust their products so much. I also want to try La Source by C&E as well, heard good things about them.

EuroShagmore Mon 19-Nov-12 15:37:52

Clarins

L'Occitane

Aveda Hand Relief (snigger)

I've heard the Body Shop hemp one is good, and have bought it for someone on request, but have not tried it myself.

toomuchmonthatendofthemoney Sun 18-Nov-12 21:24:28

My favourite for actual moisturising and relieving that "dry" skin feeling is Clarins, it seems to be the most effective cream I've tried for my skin (dry, mildly sensitive, 40ish skin). A little goes a very long way.

I love the smell of Crabtree & Evelyn la source and it is a good one too.

Soap and glory are funky packaging and quite effective, but a few hours later feel I need more on.

Neutrogenia Norwegian is also very effective but isn't very "gifty" looking.

L'occitaine irritated my skin, sorry. Too heavy, too scented.

Hope you find something that suits her just right!

Maraki Sun 18-Nov-12 21:13:44

L'occitane honey or Crabtree and Evelyn hand therapy La Source

WineGless Sun 18-Nov-12 11:58:07

Loccitaine butter or opi mini hand creams are fab in handbag

Ilovecrossfit Sun 18-Nov-12 10:32:00

Aveda- FAB FAB FAB

helpyourself Sun 18-Nov-12 10:02:59

Clarins- the occitane ones are lovely, Clarins moisturises more. Do get the Marie Claire for you/ stockings though!

dedee Sun 18-Nov-12 09:58:43

Clarins one is my favourite one as well

chubbymomie2012 Sun 18-Nov-12 08:00:07

I treat myself to the Clarins one, i find the L'occitaine a little greasy. i also love the Soap and Glory range. :-)

GeneHuntsMistress Sun 18-Nov-12 07:59:00

Molton brown naranjii - gorgeous and soothing

Chicinwellies Sun 18-Nov-12 07:52:51

Jersey Cow. Hands down has been the best hand cream purchase ever. Has visibly changed horsey dog walking lead holding hands - brilliant.

howcomes Sun 18-Nov-12 04:11:27

L'occitaine almond one is lovely but I had a bad experience with their honey one, it smelled gorgeous for a couple of hours but then took on a rank cat pee odour sad

ChablisLover Sun 18-Nov-12 01:21:13

Decleor or Liz Earle

Both fabulous

Liz Earle comes with a hand wash

bellabelly Sun 18-Nov-12 00:50:52

l'occitane cherry blossom handcream smells lovely and works v well.

cloudpuff Sun 18-Nov-12 00:47:17

Another vote for L'occitane - Maries Claire had four different full sized scented ones free with last months magazine, I snapped them all up as its cheaper than paying £11 each.

yulebrynner Sun 18-Nov-12 00:12:09

I received a l'Occitane shea butter sample set last year and it easily ranks in my top 5 favorite presents received. One in the purse, one at home, one on the desk at work - so convenient. Saves my hands all winter. I was so impressed with the giver. As a mum to an infant it was especially welcome.

TigerseyeMum Sat 17-Nov-12 23:45:12

L'occitane Shea butter is gentle, I work for the NHS and my giant tube gets passed around all day. I have the giant one off QVC but they normally sell that after Xmas.

AllYoursBabooshka Sat 17-Nov-12 23:25:19

MIL is a nurse so she's always washing her hands and using antibac gels so I would imagine they would be slightly dry.

I'm actually worried the scented ones might irritate her skin, or are L'Occitane products gentle?

imtheonlyone Sat 17-Nov-12 23:21:29

That's it - the hemp one in green/silver tube. I got it for Christmas one year and wasn't disappointed!! Depends why you specifically want to buy hand cream - if mil has dry hands it is ace and works a treat grin

trixymalixy Sat 17-Nov-12 23:03:42

Clarins

TigerseyeMum Sat 17-Nov-12 23:02:29

Neals yard remedies does a lovely box of 3 hand creams. The L'occitane one is amazing and they do small ones and gift sets too but if you have slightly greasier skin it might feel too moisturising.

I love L'Occitane but not the Shea Butter one. To be it goes on dry and doesn't feel moisturising....

however.
I love the L'Occitane Almond handcream. It goes on more like a gel, much lighter texture and smells gorgeous.

BlackandGold Sat 17-Nov-12 22:36:37

The hemp one from Body Shop comes in a green/silver tube.

I keep some in my drawer at work; might not seem very "present" like though

Welovecouscous Sat 17-Nov-12 22:35:13

The only two I like are the l'ocitaine one, which my dm also loves, and the varda hand relief one, which just smells gorgeous.

AllYoursBabooshka Sat 17-Nov-12 22:34:58

Thanks everyone! (so lovely here grin)

I have found a lovely gift set which should do the trick.

Looks nice too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now