Perioral dermatitis, aka spotty chin. Is this you?

(10 Posts)
AlreadyScone Sat 17-Nov-12 21:15:56

Saw the GP on a small matter this week and whilst we were talking I mentioned that, at age nearly 40, I am fed up of my acne. I've always had just a couple of spots here and there, not enough to make a fuss about, just irritating.

He peered at me in a kindly fashion, his eyes roamed across my face, and he said "Oh no that's not acne, that's probably perioral dermatitis."

It seems to affect mainly young women (yes young, I liked that bit) and means that you get little acne-like spots around your chin and nose, but not too close to your lips.

I have a course of antibiotics to take (I usually avoid these, but this has been getting me down for most of my adult life). Just a week in, I have clear skin for the first time in years, probably since I was pregnant. I am DELIGHTED.

hope that helps someone else...

Brightonite Sat 17-Nov-12 21:17:23

Can this also mean further up on the face too? I have had something similar for the last 3 years .....

MrsMelon Sat 17-Nov-12 21:20:34

Thank you, which anti b's did he give you?

That's good news, Already.
Spots do get you down after so long. Doesn't sound like mine though. I'm in my 40s and never got any spots as a teen. Making up for it now though.

Nagoo Sat 17-Nov-12 21:22:45

how long will the ABs keep it away for?

AlreadyScone Sat 17-Nov-12 21:29:51

I'm on doxycycline for 2 months, which apparently should solve it long-term, although a repeat course in a few years is a possibility I'm told.

Yes they can be further up the face. Might be worth doing a google image search. Mine often have white-heads, but can also just be red and "blind."

Oh it is SO nice to look at my face and not see any spots. I have tried just about every skin care range (within my budget), oil-cleansing method, supplements, the lot.

FuckingWonderwoman Sat 17-Nov-12 23:21:46

My GP told me that spots on the chin are hormone/age related. And he didn't mean that I was a young thing, either, rather that it goes with the beard and other pre-menopausal symptoms.

Mumelie Sun 18-Nov-12 17:25:00

Thank you for this information. I think this maybe what I have had for a long time and will be making a doctors appointment tomorrow.

hellocatty Sun 18-Nov-12 17:40:55

I had this constantly - same age range but since doing OCM found it under control. got scars though so help with that would be good??

CaroleService Sun 18-Nov-12 17:51:51

Doxycycline made be so sick I abandoned it, which is a really stupid thing to do. I got through one month.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now