Keeping our hair on! Hair loss support thread!

(229 Posts)
coffeecake Wed 10-Oct-12 20:38:52

Hi, as promised and based on a few Mumsnetters expressing a desire of a support thread for hair loss, here it is!
Feel free to ask any questions, share your experiences etc...

coffeecake Wed 17-Oct-12 21:31:40

Welcome spiderlight napoleon mumofjz and heroutdoors, and thanks kimimimi for your precious advice.
Napoleon I can really relate, I have a lot of anxiety due to various things, and I am sure it is not helping with my hair loss.

The iron thing sounds quite promising though, the supplements I take don't have that much iron in them but I am taking extra vitamin D too so I don't want to become a "vitamin" freak and pop as many as I can.
I won't know what's helping if I take too many things at once, although I know that iron deficiency is the most common factor together with anxiety.
I've done everything wrong when it comes to my hair (straightened it every day, combed it hard when wet, used Batiste dry shampoo A LOT, had it tied up in a tight ponytail very very often) so it's so hard to judge what is causing it.
Probably a mixture of everything. Maybe anxiety stops the body from absorbing certain vitamins and minerals.
I am feeling quite down about it at the moment, my hair becomes greasy on the second day and the more greasy it is, the thinner it looks.
The only things that is giving me a bit of hope are you girls and the support to know that I am not alone, and that regrowth I am getting (although I have noticed that some of the newly grown hair falls out too sometimes shock, what's that all about?).
Also I have noticed some tiny black dots every now and again on my scalp, and when I pick them (I usually notice one at a time) they come off easily.
What are they do you think? It freaks me out I hope they are not droppings of some sort.
My scalp feels itchy at times but I know I don't have nits (they couldn't hold on to the amount of hair I've got!!)
Has anyone had that?

Medal Thu 18-Oct-12 08:44:27

Coffee, I am totally with you in feeling down. I haven't had the dots on my scalp but I do get the itchies which I think is a symptom of hair loss. Do you get a lot coming out when you wash, brush or run your fingers through your hair like I do? I think it is normal for some regrowth to fall out as well.

coffeecake Thu 18-Oct-12 14:25:50

No I wouldn't say I get loads now, not handfuls or anything, just a few.
Like earlier before washing my hair over the bath I brushed it (really really carefully) and about 6 hairs fell into the bath. One of them was short.
I don't know if that's normal or not, but I remember always losing loads when I washed my hair.
When I brush I wouldn't say there is an alarming amount on the brush either. But I do seem to find hairs all over the place. Whether it's because I am more aware of it I don't know.
Today I found another black dot on my scalp. It's so small it could actually be dust. I'm scared to google it.
medal how much hair would you say you lose say when you brush your hair how much is there on the brush?

Hi can I join you all? I started losing my hair this time last year but it slowed down in December. My gp said it was due to really bad anaemia - blood count was 6.3 & I needed a transfusion. Then in February I was admitted to hospital & diagnosed with Crohn's disease. My hair started falling out again really badly in April due to a combination of the medication I was on & the anaemia (blood count of 7.5 - another transfusion). When I spoke to my consultant he also said a really bad illness or traumatic event eg operation can cause hairloss but it can take up to 6 months after the event to start falling out so most people don't realise whats actually caused it hmm.

Anyway they changed my meds & the hair loss slowed down but my hair was still really thin & yuck, then this Wella Serum was recommended by a pharmacist & its bloody fantastic!!!!! My hair loss stopped after about 4 weeks of using it & I know have new hair growth grin. Its expensive but worth every penny. I'm also taking skin, hair & nails vitamins & someone on a thread in health recommended Horsetail which is also fab.

I had about 3 inches chopped off my hair to try to make it look thicker, but I'm actually considering trying to grow it again now.

Fingers crossed it stays the way it is.

Sorry that was long wasn't it???

coffeecake Thu 18-Oct-12 21:47:47

Pinot how fantastic for you I am really pleased! I bet your hair looks so lovely now that you have had it chopped. It does add a lot of texture and life to your hair doesn't it.
I am glad you are bringing a positive story to this thread!
Mine is getting me down, when I have just washed it it's fine, it almost looks thick (but I've always had SO much hair).
But I know it's thin on top and along my hairline and temples, it looks much thinner than it used to.
I'm convinced I am getting a receiding hairline. It's scary. I just want it to grow again sad

coffeecake Thu 18-Oct-12 21:48:07

Sorry "receeding"

spiderlight Thu 18-Oct-12 21:58:00

Hello MrsPinotgrigio! You've reminded me to start using that serum again. I thought it might be irritating my scalp so I stopped, and then I discovered that my lovely son had given me headlice something else entirely was making my scalp itch, so I must dig it out and get back into the habit of using it every day.

bigwombat Thu 18-Oct-12 22:06:47

I have something called 'frontal fibrosing alopecia' - my hair is slowly receding from the front and temples and I have no eyebrows. The follicles are under attack from my immune system and the hair dies. Thankfully this is quite slow-moving, and will eventually stop, but will I be bald by then?! Just been referred for a wig, although a new hair style has greatly improved things (a fringe but starting from further back, sound bad but looks ok)! May try some of the iron potions and other good things suggested here, although my iron was normal when tested. Yes to the tingling/itching of scalp - seems to be where the follicles are under attack....

I'd forgotten about the itching - I actually thought ds had brought something nasty home from school shock but then I realised it was the hair loss. My hairdresser showed me the new growth last time I was there & it looks really wispy but I've never had thick hair just had loads of it! I'm guilty of abusing my hair - straighteners, colouring & tight ponytails but never had problems before. I'm still colouring & straightening - don't want to scare strangers with my grey frizzy mop!!!

Hi spider (waves) sorry to hear your ds brought you some little nasties home - hope they've all gone now. We keep ds' hair really short for that reason - don't think I could cope!!!

Medal Fri 19-Oct-12 11:54:17

Coffee, my loss is pretty bad at the mo and worse than yours, several hairs usually come out every time I run my fingers through sections and much more when I wash it and detangle it afterwards, it is scary. I am hoping it will eventually calm down or I will have nothing left to lose!

I got my verdict back from the dermatologist on the biopsy done and it seems its androgenetic (female pattern) hair loss, so not the best news. I think I will have to start looking at treatment like Regaine, no idea if it'll work.

May also try your serum Pinot, glad to hear things have improved for you.

coffeecake Fri 19-Oct-12 14:25:43

Medal I am sorry for you but remember that it might not be a definate diagnosis.
I am thinking that is what I've got too sad
Someone wrote me a PM and I think she was a trichologist, and she said that FPHL was gradual thinning of the hair over a long period of time.
So I am very surprised about your diagnosis. If yours is shedding alarmingly, I thought that was called telogen effluvium and it is a reversible condition.
Actually when I read the symptoms of that, it sounds like what I've got.
look

coffeecake Fri 19-Oct-12 14:35:44

I have been googling things and now I'm scared sad
I have noticed that my skin is greasier than normal as well, so it must be hormonal or something.

pepitoincognito Sat 20-Oct-12 23:23:28

hi, can I join? I have noticed my hair falling out significantly over the last 2 months. I can see the scalp however I part it and I have a small patch at the front that is just, well, bald. It's tiny but I am really worried about it. My hair dresser told me it's the season change but I think it is because I had highlights for the first time in August to cover the first white hairs. I had the cover up done colour again today and am now severely regretting it. I am going to get some iron into my diet and see the dermatologist asap. I'm so glad to hear that some of you have experienced some regrowth. I am going to see the chemist. I have always lost a lot of hair but there was always so much it didnt see to matter. Now I'm scared of going bald.

WildThongyoumakemyringsting Sun 21-Oct-12 14:21:44

I saw these advertised recently and wondered if anyone on here had tried them?
[[ m.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=4386&prodid=5158]]

coffeecake Sun 21-Oct-12 14:25:15

Hi Pepito and welcome.
Well I'm not sure about noticing regrowth, yes there are little hairs along my hair line and more or less all over the hair but I am beginning to think that everyone has that, as your hair is even supposed to keep growing after you die.
My hair at the moment seems in quite a good condition, I don't know it seems shinier and fuller, but then again I have stopped using dry shampoo completely, stopped straightening it and am still taking Perfectil supplements + vitamin D now.
I have taken Perfectil for nearly 2 months now and I have no idea whether the regrowth is due to that or just normal.
I don't know if I have more of it though, but it's just in better condition. I am still quite down about it though and constantly checking in the mirror for new regrowth it's doing my head in.

GhostShip Sun 21-Oct-12 14:26:53

I'm 21 and my hair has started falling out for some unknown reason.

Made worse by the fact MIL keeps getting mad that it falls out in the house sad

pepitoincognito Sun 21-Oct-12 17:00:46

Thanks coffeecake. I think the fertility drugs I am taking may also be having an effect. I will go to the pharmacist first thing in the morning to ask about the supplements you mentioned. I've been eating protein and iron rich food today and avoided washing my hair or combing it too vigorously. I am trying not to be scared as I don't think stressing will help. I figure, the worst that can happen is that I will be bald. So whilst that would suck, it could be a lot worse. I will report back when I have been to pharmacist and if I get a dermatologist appointment.

marram Sun 21-Oct-12 20:16:48

hello, marking page x

marram Sun 21-Oct-12 20:38:20

Can I join too? I have hair loss too, on top of head. I had really thick hair until it started to thin and come out in my twenties. Finally discovered I had hashimoto's (underactive thyroid). Treatment for that hasn't particularly thickened my hair up. I lost lots of hair after each DC and then earlier this year I made the mistake of having the depo provera injection. Hair has fallen out since 3 months after that, worse than ever. Needless to say, won't be having that again! My scalp itches too in the areas that are losing hair. Interesting about ferritin, GP always says my iron fine but I have never asked what my actual result is. Will try that next. I also have depressive and anxiety type symptoms but it is so difficult to untangle from thyroid (which I think is under treated but GP disagrees). Having hair shorter defo helps appearance xx

peasandlove Mon 22-Oct-12 07:12:55

hi ladies, i've only just skimmed the thread but just wanted to ask if any of you are on the injection - depo provera as it's a lesser known side effect of that. I had some hair loss a few years back but it could have been stress related. I came off the injection anyway and I'm fine now.

coffeecake Mon 22-Oct-12 21:46:56

Hi everyone, I am noticing more and more hairgrowth.
It is positive but I am getting really obsessional about it which is no good.
I am worried about getting too excited about it though, just in case.
I will let you know how it is developping. xxx

coffeecake Tue 23-Oct-12 18:15:49

By the way does anyone find that they have "receding temples" with this?
It's worrying me when I pull my hair back it is very obvious (to me not to DH but I think he's being kind).
Also the other day I was running my fingers through my hair (thing that I don't do very often) each time I had about 3/4 hairs between my fingers.
They seem to come off so easily. sad

Beaverfeaver Tue 23-Oct-12 18:56:10

I am 27 and just started noticing my hair falling out more than usual.

I have stopped using straighteners
Swapped over to tangle teaser
Taking sea kelp
Taking biotin
Taking h&b hair supplements
Using lee Stafford hair growth stuff

Hoping this will help

My job has been very stressful the passed month so hoping its just down to that and it will pass

I haven't been on the depo injection for 6 years, but noticed my hair fell out a lot with that

SophySinclair Tue 23-Oct-12 23:15:39

lost loads with an underactive thyroid. GP refused to treat seriously. changed to new lovely lady GP.

Dermatologist at hospital also highlighted low Vit D and low zinc. Noticed some new re-growth after taking for 6 months.

Bit the bullet last week and got some hair raisingly expensive extensions from the Lucinda Ellery clinic in Manchester.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now