Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

If you are petite, where do you shop?

(12 Posts)
mumzy Wed 10-Oct-12 20:28:59

Wallis can have nice things in their petite range

LastMangoInParis Wed 10-Oct-12 19:29:57

Gap is OK, as is Zara.

French/Italian/Spanish stores and labels tend to make clothes for smaller size and build, but have noticed UK chains picking up on this in last decade or so.

I tend to go for Gap for jeans and trousers and don't worry too much about top half clothing being a bit on the large side.

French Connection does some really good tops which aren't too shaped around shoulders and hang nicely on my puny a smaller frame. These are quite steeply priced for what they are, IMO, and I'm not sure of their provenance/ethical record of FC so tend to approach with caution seasoned with a liberal smear of guilt.

HappyAsEyeAm Wed 10-Oct-12 19:23:29

choc I'd never heard of Yumi until I read your post. Its a bit too on trend for me (I'm a tad too conservative I think), but I really like the black and tan polka dot dress. Do you have it by any chance, and if so, could you tell me about the length and the quality of the fabric and is it lined?

HappyAsEyeAm Wed 10-Oct-12 19:16:22

That's great for you choc. Unfortunately, for me, tops are a problem. Even if I can accept the length, the shoulders are often too wide for me, and the sleeves are usually way too long. I love 3/4 length sleeves as this solved the problem. Some Hobbs cardis are short (the website is good as it tells you the length), and so I buy those , even though the quality isn't good for the money (I find that oce they're washed, they don't look so good).

I will take a look at Topshop petite. Thanks for the suggestion. I might be too cool for me though, and I suspect I will be at least a dress size bigger in Topshop than in other shops!

Gutted about Banana Republic petite only being in store.

choceyes Wed 10-Oct-12 15:04:56

on the plus side I mean!

choceyes Wed 10-Oct-12 15:03:44

I'm 5'2 and a size 8. I shop for jeans in topshop petite but have recently discovered that I can get away with getting jeans that are 30 leg length, which is great as it has opened up a whole new shopping experience for me! I find that with skinny jeans, it doesn't matter much if they are slightly too long as I like the rumpled up look and also if you tuck them into boots you don't notice anyway.

For tops, I tend to just buy normal range, never tried petite ranges for this and I find it's OK. I buy a lot of short dresses to wear with tights and boots and they don't need to be petite sized either. They just look a little bit longer on me then they are meant to be, and as long as I like the length I wear them.
On the plus size, I can wear long line tops and tunics as short dresses and they look cute like that. Like the Yumi tops/tunics. I see people wearing them over jeans like a long top, but for me they are nice length short dress.

Coats I would go for petite sized as it's more important to get the proportions right. Having said that I currently wear a Gap down filled parka regular sized, which is intended to be mid thigh length but on me it is nearly knee length for me which is a perfect length for me as it covers all my dresses (i think when your coat is shorter than your dress it looks odd). Sleeve length is fine too.

LettyAshton Wed 10-Oct-12 14:35:31

Sadly, yes. Discrimination!

HappyAsEyeAm Wed 10-Oct-12 14:05:22

I can't find any petite on the Banana Republic website. Is it an in store range only?

LettyAshton Wed 10-Oct-12 13:23:02

I second Banana Republic.

So many petite ranges make the legs far too short, but I find Banana Republic's just right. Bit expensive full price but Westfield had a big sale rail!

HappyAsEyeAm Wed 10-Oct-12 13:05:39

Good to know about fenn Wright Manson and Banana Republic. I didn't realise that they did a petite line. I'll check them out. And plan a trip to New York!

noviceoftheday Wed 10-Oct-12 09:43:38

I am same height even though I tell everyone else I am 5' 2", size 6/8. In addition to the ones you mentioned, Fenn Wright Manson Petite and Banana Republic Petite. If you're ever in the US, Ann Taylor as well - plus there most designers (at every price point) do a petite version (I almost cried with happiness when I first saw the petite section at Lord & Taylor in new york). I have "normal" legs, 30" so it's my top half that's short. I have discovered dresses (for work) over the past couple of years and am now trying to extend out to wearing them for "formal" casual eg going out etc.

HappyAsEyeAm Tue 09-Oct-12 20:40:15

I am 5'1", 37 yo, and a pear shape. Size 10/12 (size 10 with my beloved spanx). I tend only to buy stuff in petite ranges, and shop mostly in Boden Petite, but I buy the odd thing which is cut on the petite side in M&S, Hobbs and Phase Eight.

Where do you shop? And what have you bought this season that you like?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now