Oh my life.....<faints& gt;.....at what I paid for my hair today.....!

(47 Posts)
Ruprekt Sat 06-Oct-12 21:01:39

Colour and foils and blow dry.

What would you have paid?

wheresmespecs Sun 07-Oct-12 19:55:50

pre-DCs, I used to go to training day at my local posh salon. You had to book a while in advance, and it was on a weekday, and took a loooong time.....

but the foils and cut and dry were well supervised, I was always happy, and paid TWENTY FIVE POUNDS for the lot.

now i would have to pay for childcare to go for that long, so it's not worth it. The same thing costs just under a hundred with an experienced stylist, and i just don't want to pay that anymore, so am growing my highlights out.

Btw, I think it's crap when hairdressers (or anyone else) can't tell you how much something will cost before they start. They just rely on you being too embarrasses to kick off when you get a much bigger bill than you were expecting at the end. There's no reason why they can't give you a totaly accurate price when you come in. They can see your hair, you tell them what you want - they aren't going to get any sudden surprises half way through, are they?

insancerre Sun 07-Oct-12 13:32:07

I love my hairdresser- yesterday I had a full colour, a head massage, a restyle and blowdry. And she straightened it and I had a cup of coffee.
£54
Bloody bargain, although it has just gone up- it was £50 last time.

Aboutlastnight Sun 07-Oct-12 13:27:16

We get the obligatory 'head massage,' usually performed by female hairdresser who looks like johnny Depp in Pirates of the Carribean ( and not in a good way) stinking of perfume with talon nails which scratch across your scalp all the while radio 1 blasts out..

And they ask you if it was nice and relaxing. And you whisper 'yes,' because you are do desperate to get the whole damn 'experience' over with...

Tuttutitlookslikerain Sun 07-Oct-12 11:20:09

I paid £60 last time for a full head (2 colours) cut and blow dry. I am having a cut and blow dry next week, then in a month half a head and a cut and blow dry for £35. That's what my hair dresser advises, I'm glad she doesn't rip me off!

£165shock they'd have had to call me an ambulance.

I paid £64 yesterday plus a tenner tip (Half head colour, cut and bd plus 2 cups coffee and head massage )

And my hairdresser is in a national final next week (as she endlessly told me).

However we are tighter than the proverbial here.

pengymum Sun 07-Oct-12 11:06:25

I go to local hair academy and pay around £35-40 for colour, cut & blow dry. Takes ages though as trainees are supervised. But generally quite happy with cuts. Colour is not always quite right but never too bad. If I am really not happy, could get it redone, but I am not too fussed. Get a drink or two if I want but best bit is the head massage! Also no hard sell on products. grin
Am in Greater London.
No way would or could I pay over £50, is a rare treat as it is. Usually only when special event on horizon nowadays. Different when I was working fulltime tho.

Sheila Sun 07-Oct-12 11:06:16

I pay £80 for foils + gloss, fringe trim and blow dry at my local Toni & Guy. I think it's worth every penny - hair is worth investing in - it's on your head all the time regardless of what you're wearing. I'd rather spend less on clothes.

Also I don't have too much grey so only have it done every 12 weeks or so and have it cut on another visit to lessen the pain. That costs £60.

I pay £30 for a cut and any full head colour or highlights.
I go to her house. When she had dc2 I ha to go to a salon. It was a local one so cost £45 so not to bad.

Yesterday I had a half head (but frankly, it was close to a full head) highlights on long hair, cut and blow dry. I live in the south.

Wait for it

£40

She did a good job too, really took her time. I've had worse experiences for double the price.

JustSpiro Sun 07-Oct-12 11:03:52

I'd pay about £80 for cut, half head of foils and blow dry and even that I begrudge tbh, so have just reverted to a dry cut and decent home colour kit from Boots - £24 in total grin!

MeFour Sun 07-Oct-12 11:02:29

And this is why at 32 I am grey. It's extortionate around here £120 minimum. That feeds our family of six for a week and a half, I can't justify it.
Wish I had one of those bargainous £60 people to so mine

FlatscreenGoat Sun 07-Oct-12 11:00:42

This happened to me recently too. My normal hairdresser who comes to my house had just had twins. She normally charges me £80 for a full head of foils and a cut and blow dry.

I had a 10% off voucher for the swanky salon at my gym so thought I'd treat myself.

I had all thee oohing and aahing from the stylist.

"Would Madam like a head massage?"

<nods>

"Would Madam like a lovely toner over the colour?"

<nods>

"Would Madam like a deep conditioning treatment?"

<nods>

"Well with the current condition of your hair we're going to have you started on some salon quality products at home"

<gets out purse>

<faints>

£190

shock

sudaname Sun 07-Oct-12 10:59:10

One day my hair will fall out and will serve me right

blush - this will be me with mi bald head.

Dollydowser Sun 07-Oct-12 10:58:17

"Materials cost next to nothing', I beg to differ. Everything has gone up, including foil, hair colour, bleach and peroxide. Why shouldn't hairdresser own a good wage? They do a very skilled job (well some of them do). Shops in town centres have massive overheads, that's what you are paying for too.

Precisely, I would rather have a bit less flash in the salon and cut the free wine and coffees. Then the prices would be lower.
I am ashamed to say that if I had the money, I would be one of those sleb types flying the hairdresser around the world with me.
I am really insecure about my hair and if I find someone I like, then I pay the stupid prices.

<goes off to book therapy sessions>

When you say foils do you mean highlights? I'm £50 for highlights cut and all over tint in my wee village salon. I sit there amongst all the old ladies in for their blue rinses and Saturday sets! I love it. And I get free coffee! One salon I was in charged me £3 for a tea once!!

sudaname Sun 07-Oct-12 10:56:06

l do it myself with a £2.50 cheap cos it's out of date hair dye from my local market instead

grin

FunnysInLaJardin Sun 07-Oct-12 10:55:47

blimey that's ridiculous. I used to pay about £150 for a cut and colour and now pay about £120 for the same. Its at the top end for me though and I last had it done over a year ago. Can't justify it anymore

peggyblackett Sun 07-Oct-12 10:54:36

Half head foils and cut is 65 for me (expensive but good mobile hairdresser).

sudaname Sun 07-Oct-12 10:53:25

l would never pay that amount or anything like to have my hair coloured as it is naturally very dark with a lot of grey coming through at temples/round hairline which is very noticeable obviously in contrast to the dark hair and my hair grows very fast so comes through after about ten days so then l need to dye it again. So a complete waste of money for two weeks or less. If l could get about six weeks of my hair looking good or at least a month then l would pay it.

To summarise - l'm a cheapskate

I nearly fainted when I had to pay £152 for full head of highlights, cut and blowdry a few years ago. I just do all over colours at home (unless I can get a Groupon voucher for really cheap highlights) and have it cut about twice a year. But I love going to a salon and if I could afford it (can't as I'm a SAHM) I would have my hair done regularly.

Oldandcobwebby Sun 07-Oct-12 10:52:49

If you all collectively stopped going to these places, prices would plummet. Hairdressing is the biggest con going. The materials cost next to nothing, there can't be that much skill involved, but they see fit to charge £100 an hour or thereabouts. Bastards. Utter bastardy bastards.

NorbertDentressangle Sun 07-Oct-12 10:51:58

Jeez! And there's me smarting because my hairdresser has just put her cut and blow dry price up to £40.

Mendeleyev Sun 07-Oct-12 10:51:05

Bargain here! Half head foils cut and blow for £48. Feeling very smug now as they do a fantastic job!

Iheartpasties Sun 07-Oct-12 10:49:56

crikey !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now