Looking for my forever lace dress

(58 Posts)
QueenBeebread Fri 05-Oct-12 23:47:55

I want to find, ahead of this year's Christmas party season, an elegant lace dress which makes everyone think 'wow' and my husband's eyes pop out on stalks.

I'd like the lace itself to be delicate and beautiful. I like the idea of lacy shoulders/sleeves - it's not necessary for the whole dress to be covered in lace.

I'm looking for an investment piece which I can wear for years to come - so it can't be too trendy, young, short, etc.

I'm 5ft1 with big boobs, am currently dieting away the post-baby flab but aiming to be a size 10. I have a terrible post C-section tummy that ain't never going to go away, so would rather have something well cut and structural rather than just jersey. Due to my height/boobs I'm also not great in anything too floaty.

I'm prepared to pay up to £300 for the right dress but am going to be dreadfully fussy and spend ages and ages faffing around...

Has anyone seen anything to fit the brief?

ancienthistrionics Wed 10-Oct-12 18:42:52
QueenBeebread Wed 10-Oct-12 15:01:18

Ah, that's interesting Carole.

Given how fast it's sold out, I've been thinking anyway that there's a risk that it'll be ubiquitous at Christmas parties etc. It's all well and good having an MN scarf but an MN party frock is taking it too far!

eurowitch Wed 10-Oct-12 14:12:21

I love the first Jaeger one. The LK Bennet one is pretty nice but I am not mad about the neckline.

CaroleService Wed 10-Oct-12 14:07:03

Well, the Jaeger dress arrived and has gone straight back - it is quite frumpy on. The sleeves are puffy at the shoulder so made me look like a line-backer, and the skirt is well above the knee though I'm not tall by any means.

Back to the drawing board ...

CaroleService Tue 09-Oct-12 18:35:24
CaroleService Tue 09-Oct-12 12:23:54

The back of that is stunn ing, QueenB. But no possibility of wearing a bra! <<hoicks matronly bosoms>>

QueenBeebread Tue 09-Oct-12 11:39:15

That's lovely ancienthistrionics but perhaps not quite timeless enough for me.

For taller lace dress hunters, without jelly bellies and boobs in their waistband, this Malene Birger dress is just beautiful.

ancienthistrionics Mon 08-Oct-12 21:09:52

If you're not enough of a tartypants to go for the AA one (and let's face it, that dress is for a limited window of one's life), then is a beautiful modern take on lace

lurkingaround Mon 08-Oct-12 21:08:51

Thanks, QueenB.
Jaeger should give you vouchers. Or make you one of those dresses. They could surely root around and find one "in the back" for you. There must be one knocking about somewhere.

Beautiful Temperley dress.

Temperley does some lovely lace too. Have you considered a full length one? This exclusively at John Lewis is gorgeous in the flesh. I drooled!

This is lovely. I think you should opt for a figure hugging one since pencil skirt shapes are timeless. The first Jaeger one you posted is gorgeous too.

QueenBeebread Mon 08-Oct-12 18:10:22

Lurking --> sad for you.

Those of you who have snaffled my bought the dress, please report back about what it's like when it arrives...?

Jaeger, if you are watching, I'll accept some nice vouchers by way of commission!

CaroleService Mon 08-Oct-12 16:15:52

I've bagged mine - full price - no code - I never do that - BUT THE RISK IS TOO GREAT!!

<<outs self as neither a 10 nor a 12>>

lurkingaround Mon 08-Oct-12 16:14:01

Yes, I'm also rightly pissed off with you all. <not one to hold a grudge>

But because I'm a nice person, I will tell you size 12 back in stock 1st November. (Not sure about other sizes but I presume they're back in stock then too).

Not that that's much good to me. Event is sooner.

QueenBeebread Mon 08-Oct-12 16:05:25

Never telling you lot anything again.

Ever.

<sulking>

noviceoftheday Mon 08-Oct-12 15:38:17

damn! I was going to get that Jaegar dress! I was dithering over whether I should return the Phase 8 one that I had just got as it's not very forgiving. <outs self as lurker>

chickydoo Mon 08-Oct-12 15:13:42

The Reiss Marjorie is stunning!
Can't link as am out & about.
I have it in the deep purple.

Mosman Mon 08-Oct-12 15:11:08

Try John Lewis

lurkingaround Mon 08-Oct-12 15:02:25

Size 12 is flipping sold out. After dithering for the weekend I finally decided to get it for my VERY IMPORTANT REUNION and it's flipping gone.

VERY IMPORTANT REUNION folks! I would have been gorgeous.

<joins QueenBee in glaring>

Great thread btw.

QueenBeebread Mon 08-Oct-12 14:27:37

Right, <glares at lurkers>..

Which of you has been buying the Jaeger scalloped lace dress in a 10?!?! It's sold out now and the 12 is going fast.... Sob! It's going to have to be Ancienthistrionic's little number if I can't track the Jaeger one down...

It is still my favourite, but thanks for the other links. Collette Dinnigan is lovely but the Jaeger is the best shape for my body by I mile I reckon.

Bluestocking Mon 08-Oct-12 11:08:49

What do you think of this one from Hobbs?

Clure Sun 07-Oct-12 19:27:34
RSVPentathlon Sun 07-Oct-12 18:02:31
ancienthistrionics Sun 07-Oct-12 17:23:01

DH eyes on stalks? = job done

QueenBeebread Sat 06-Oct-12 22:51:41

Oooh ello!

I'm on a weekend away and just logged in to see masses of messages. Thanks for all the votes and suggestions which I'll look at in more detail when I'm home.

Am still liking the Jaeger one - I plan to hunt it down next time I'm up town. Will report back...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now