Looking for my forever lace dress

(58 Posts)
QueenBeebread Fri 05-Oct-12 23:47:55

I want to find, ahead of this year's Christmas party season, an elegant lace dress which makes everyone think 'wow' and my husband's eyes pop out on stalks.

I'd like the lace itself to be delicate and beautiful. I like the idea of lacy shoulders/sleeves - it's not necessary for the whole dress to be covered in lace.

I'm looking for an investment piece which I can wear for years to come - so it can't be too trendy, young, short, etc.

I'm 5ft1 with big boobs, am currently dieting away the post-baby flab but aiming to be a size 10. I have a terrible post C-section tummy that ain't never going to go away, so would rather have something well cut and structural rather than just jersey. Due to my height/boobs I'm also not great in anything too floaty.

I'm prepared to pay up to £300 for the right dress but am going to be dreadfully fussy and spend ages and ages faffing around...

Has anyone seen anything to fit the brief?

belsize77 Sat 06-Oct-12 10:00:53

The first Jaeger one is beautiful. It seems more classic as well as very va va voom if you are a short hourglass.

Turquoiseblue Sat 06-Oct-12 10:12:27

No one does pretty, sexy, lacy feminine like collette dinnignan.... Don't know what her current season is like but a quick google should tell you. Her pieces are beautiful and I promise you will adore them. (I have 3 dresses that I have worn on countless occasions - I might just love them as much as my children .... And sometimes a little more than my dh grin

MarshaBrady Sat 06-Oct-12 10:15:08

Haha Turquoise

middleagedspread Sat 06-Oct-12 20:40:34
Gimblinginthewabe Sat 06-Oct-12 20:46:46

Not forever dressy, but I like these

http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/dresses/navy-lace-3-4-sleeve-bodycon-dress_267218141

http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/dresses/john-zack-dark-red-lace-dress_265263761

The first Jaeger one is the best by miles.

lurkingaround Sat 06-Oct-12 22:21:00

Had a look at Collette Dinnigan.
You are right, Turquoise they are gorgeous.

Charliefox Sat 06-Oct-12 22:29:26
QueenBeebread Sat 06-Oct-12 22:51:41

Oooh ello!

I'm on a weekend away and just logged in to see masses of messages. Thanks for all the votes and suggestions which I'll look at in more detail when I'm home.

Am still liking the Jaeger one - I plan to hunt it down next time I'm up town. Will report back...

ancienthistrionics Sun 07-Oct-12 17:23:01

DH eyes on stalks? = job done

RSVPentathlon Sun 07-Oct-12 18:02:31
Clure Sun 07-Oct-12 19:27:34
Bluestocking Mon 08-Oct-12 11:08:49

What do you think of this one from Hobbs?

QueenBeebread Mon 08-Oct-12 14:27:37

Right, <glares at lurkers>..

Which of you has been buying the Jaeger scalloped lace dress in a 10?!?! It's sold out now and the 12 is going fast.... Sob! It's going to have to be Ancienthistrionic's little number if I can't track the Jaeger one down...

It is still my favourite, but thanks for the other links. Collette Dinnigan is lovely but the Jaeger is the best shape for my body by I mile I reckon.

lurkingaround Mon 08-Oct-12 15:02:25

Size 12 is flipping sold out. After dithering for the weekend I finally decided to get it for my VERY IMPORTANT REUNION and it's flipping gone.

VERY IMPORTANT REUNION folks! I would have been gorgeous.

<joins QueenBee in glaring>

Great thread btw.

Mosman Mon 08-Oct-12 15:11:08

Try John Lewis

chickydoo Mon 08-Oct-12 15:13:42

The Reiss Marjorie is stunning!
Can't link as am out & about.
I have it in the deep purple.

noviceoftheday Mon 08-Oct-12 15:38:17

damn! I was going to get that Jaegar dress! I was dithering over whether I should return the Phase 8 one that I had just got as it's not very forgiving. <outs self as lurker>

QueenBeebread Mon 08-Oct-12 16:05:25

Never telling you lot anything again.

Ever.

<sulking>

lurkingaround Mon 08-Oct-12 16:14:01

Yes, I'm also rightly pissed off with you all. <not one to hold a grudge>

But because I'm a nice person, I will tell you size 12 back in stock 1st November. (Not sure about other sizes but I presume they're back in stock then too).

Not that that's much good to me. Event is sooner.

CaroleService Mon 08-Oct-12 16:15:52

I've bagged mine - full price - no code - I never do that - BUT THE RISK IS TOO GREAT!!

<<outs self as neither a 10 nor a 12>>

QueenBeebread Mon 08-Oct-12 18:10:22

Lurking --> sad for you.

Those of you who have snaffled my bought the dress, please report back about what it's like when it arrives...?

Jaeger, if you are watching, I'll accept some nice vouchers by way of commission!

This is lovely. I think you should opt for a figure hugging one since pencil skirt shapes are timeless. The first Jaeger one you posted is gorgeous too.

Temperley does some lovely lace too. Have you considered a full length one? This exclusively at John Lewis is gorgeous in the flesh. I drooled!

lurkingaround Mon 08-Oct-12 21:08:51

Thanks, QueenB.
Jaeger should give you vouchers. Or make you one of those dresses. They could surely root around and find one "in the back" for you. There must be one knocking about somewhere.

Beautiful Temperley dress.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now