On the hunt for new fabulous foundation new makeup that will make me look 5 years younger - not asking too much am I ?

(36 Posts)
Turquoiseblue Fri 05-Oct-12 23:08:28

That s it really, my skin s not too bad considering I ve been a bit lax on the whole skin are routine since having kids. Have been using Laura mercier tinted moisturiser but a little unhappy with the coverage and it doesn't last the day - slides right off my skin, and i find it difficult to get a good cooour match. also bought the lm concealer n their recomendation and reakly cnat get onnwith it at all so I want to explore other options! I think I might need
-One that will suit my skin .... Mid thirties, slightly dry but good condition overall, pale a little frekeled
- Foundation/ tinted mosituriser/ concealer or something for. Under eyes ...Ideally not cost the earth
Please help - tell me what you use and what you re happy with.

Turquoiseblue Sat 13-Oct-12 08:14:09

Well I ended up with a (generous) sample of Bobbi brown bb balm. New to beauty balms. Am not sure I m convinced though think the colour is a little yellow for me - it does last the day though and my skin has not had any breakouts in reaction to it. Anyone else tried it successfully. An thinking I might get another sample of the lighter colour

I use Lancome Teinte Miracle, and I use the Lancome primer as well (Base Pro?). It is very long lasting, gives good coverage without being thick, and makes my skin just look nicer.

I really like Dior Nudeskin but the colour match was not quite as good for me as the Lancome.

I tried Double Wear and it was so so heavy, I found Double Wear Light to still be quite thick coverage and the range of colours was too small for me to find one that matched my skin anyway (very orange).

I have heard good things about the new Touch Eclat Foundation.

Havingkittens Mon 08-Oct-12 15:04:22

The Diorskin Nude has just been reformulated and is even more lovely than it was before. I really love it. Diorskin Forever, which was reformulated last year is also gorgeous if you prefer more of a glowy look but it can make your T Zone look a bit shiny in flash photos. I also love the new Touche Eclat foundation, although I have really oily skin at the moment and I find it gets quite shiny on my nose if I don't use a primer or powder a few times during the day. It is good for older or dehydrated skins though as it's gel based so it doesn't have that chalky powdery look that can sit on the skin.

bigkidsdidit Mon 08-Oct-12 10:16:03

I LOVE Dior

Just switched from double wear to the Dior - I think itis forever flawless?? - something like that. I got it Duty free on a whim and it is utterly fabulous. I look glowy adn it lasts on my patchy skin smile

SaraBellumHertz Mon 08-Oct-12 10:09:15

I have sworn by Lancôme or estee lauder double wear light combined with Clarins flash balm for years.

However last week I had a colour match done at no7 and bought instant radiance and stay perfect, the latter of which provides more coverage. I also purchased a foundation brush (all three for the price of my former foundation) and it is revolutionary grin

My skin looks a million times better. I'm very very impressed

I'm lying, it was this Bobbi brown one I got. Sorry!

I had the same problem with the LM tinted moisturiser. I tried Chanel teint innocence which is really nice but I felt like I was wearing foundation then. I don't like the feeling of stuff on my face. Recently I got this Bobbi Brown one and I'm really really happy with it. Especially tips you apply with a brush. They do a free return if you're not happy with their foundations so definitely worth a go. Good luck!

SorrelForbes Sun 07-Oct-12 10:04:23

Yep I was surprised at how much I liked the Lift and Luminate. The No7 sales assistant said that although its technically for skins older than mine it would give me the glowy finish I like. She was right.

Mewsical Sun 07-Oct-12 08:34:46

oops, Diorskin nude in 001 is not orangey at all but is a proper coverage foundation.

Mewsical Sun 07-Oct-12 08:33:43

Doublewear light feels heavy to meand is too orangey as is Diorskin nude, which I wear at night.

Liz Earle skin tint is a good daytime one but you should try it first as it's quite dewy.

Am really surprised to find that No 7 lift & luminate (the one for older skin) is good.

justasecond Sat 06-Oct-12 21:35:37

YSL Touche eclat very good.

ujjayi Sat 06-Oct-12 21:00:39

Thanks winefairy will go to the Dior counter and see if I can snaffle a tester. I find the DW a little heavy too so I definitely make a little go a long way.

Granard Sat 06-Oct-12 20:54:43

Chantecaille future skin or by terry éclat opulent. Both excellent & both are like a treatment in a foundation. Both last all day & both make your skin look as if its a lot more perfect than it is & that you're make-up-free.

Chantecaille is slightly cheaper. Space NK stock both.

BestIsWest Sat 06-Oct-12 18:41:20

I love Teint Miracle too. I've also tried Boots new No 7 BB cream and I like that too. I hate anything too heavy.

Eliza22 Sat 06-Oct-12 18:35:24

I love Lancôme teint Miracle. Really "illuminating" and doesn't feel like you're wearing much. Also, EL Double Wear Light for days when I can carry off a more "done" look. I tried the EL Double Wear original, years ago. It aged me and felt like cement.

winefairy Sat 06-Oct-12 17:31:11

ujjayi I found the Double Wear too aging for me and a little uncomfortable. I was also underwhelmed by Vitalumiere and preferred the old Pro Lumiere however I'm really impressed with Diorskin.

It's a natural medium coverage (easy to build up to a good medium which is how I wear it) that doesn't settle in fine lines and gives a convincing dewy effect without either the high shine or absolute sheerness of similar foundations.

I liked By Terry too but found the lasting power of Diorskin better. Also far better than Chanel but won't be as impressive as Double Wear....loved DW's staying power just wished it sat better on my skin!

I'm such a foundation bore. You should never ask me to elaborate! blush

SorrelForbes Sat 06-Oct-12 16:39:38

I liked the Diorskin nude and the YSL Teint Touché Éclat but couldn't get a good enough colour match in either. I'm currently wearing the No7 Lift and Luminate and the colour match is amazing. The overall effect is very similar, IMHO, to both the above foundations.

MsArseBiscuit Sat 06-Oct-12 16:08:34

Diorskin Nude is very lovely, one of my favourites, I'd say the coverage is light to medium and the range of colours is pretty good, it's definitely much more sheer than Double Wear without being all shiney-shiney. I'd reckon its current ranking on the Arsebiscuit scale of Foundation Greatness is No. 3, second place goes to Armani Luminous Silk and the current top of the pops is YSL Teint Touché Éclat - however I am pale and elderly (45) , have combination skin and really don't like the comprehensive coverage of foundations like Double Wear.

ujjayi Sat 06-Oct-12 14:55:22

Winefairy would you elaborate on the Diorskin Nude please? I am due for a new foundation and preferred Double Wear to Chanel's Vitalumiere (which always felt "damp" on my skin despite wearing powder and using very little) but am interested in the Dior.

winefairy Sat 06-Oct-12 13:52:51

I loved By Terry too although since discovered Diorskin Nude and think it definitely has the edge. And I have tried countless. Believe me.

<opens draw full of discarded foundations>

<weeps>

MrsSchadenfreude Sat 06-Oct-12 13:48:02

I bought some Lierac foundation in TK Maxx for £2.99. It is usually £££ here in France, and it's very good. I mix it with a bit of La Roche Posay's BB cream to make it a little more fluid.

ujjayi Sat 06-Oct-12 13:46:20

Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation is fabulous, gives great coverage and lasts all day.

Millie1 Sat 06-Oct-12 13:42:47

Willsing - I tried the Red sample too and was impressed. Don't
Ime the scent though, it's sooo perfumed.

I've been using By Terry foundation for about 18 months (longer probably) but don't want to spend £62+ this time round. Also, each time I buy it, they have changed their products and I end up with something slightly different - none as nice on as the first foundation I got! Scrapping out the inside of the bottle now so I'm planning a trip to next weekend to get to the make-up counters. Channel doesn't suit my colouring, haven't really liked BB in the past but want to try Estée Lauder, YSL and Lancôme for samples. Have heard great things on here too about Smashbox primers so that might be another stop.

I love a good splurge on make-up!!

Turquoiseblue Sat 06-Oct-12 10:08:32

Yes I think I do need to use a primer more often - had the LM one and didn't get around to replacing it as was waiting to use up the tinted moisturiser.
Am tempted to try double wear light. In the past tried bobbi brown - but the tinted moisturiser and felt it was too bare. Have been given a bit of my sisters chantecaille something or other and liking it too.

I really dislike foundation hunting - it s like trying to find the perfect pair of jeans ! Everyone seems to have a favourite and seems like you e just got to try a few.

WhyTheBigGoldPaws Sat 06-Oct-12 09:41:25

My skin is similar to yours and I use Liz Earle Skin Tint (I think that's the name, am too lazy to get out of bed and look but it's the one that came out this summer). It's nice and light (I hate anything too heavy) and gives your skin a very flattering but natural glow. You can build it up in areas that need a bit more coverage or use a concealer over the top. I use Bobbi Brown under my eyes for going out - don't bother every day - and also use a primer underneath (the Barbara Daly Tesco one) sometimes to disguise pores and make it last longer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now