Dark red / burgundy nail polish that is opaque in two coats - anyone got one?

(41 Posts)
TheBirdsTheBirds Tue 02-Oct-12 13:34:31

Not as dark as Rouge Noir, more of an autumnal red wine colour. I'm really fussy about my nail varnish being totally opaque and non-patchy looking, but can't be arsed to do 3 coats smile

adoremyfamily Tue 02-Oct-12 23:16:11

I love painting my nails and want all the ones that have been mentioned, is there somwehere like AA for nail varnish lol.

trumpton Wed 03-Oct-12 04:32:22

Love Rimmel 60 second and would like to add that the Sally Hansen quick dry top coat ( red bottle / white lid ) recommended by a MN is absolutely fabulous and helps the polish last up to a week with the odd touch up .

thebirds have you tried soaking your nails in lemon juice or denture tablets?! Apparently both work though I've never tried it. See here for other ideas too.

TheBirdsTheBirds Wed 03-Oct-12 08:27:55

No I haven't crazybutterfly, will look into it!

MadAboutHotChoc Wed 03-Oct-12 09:19:29

Rimmel here too..try black cherry

Jaeme Wed 03-Oct-12 23:52:19

Not sure if it's exactly the right shade or not but OPI Malaga Wine is creme and is fine for me with 2 coats

Bonsoir Thu 04-Oct-12 07:40:39

OPI is your friend - loads of choice of different reds and all completely opaque in two coats.

GobblersKnob Thu 04-Oct-12 07:49:07

I have Nails Inc Manchester on my toes as of last night, it is lovely and very opaque.

Shh2012 Thu 04-Oct-12 08:32:27

Jessica Shall We Dance. Two coats - absolutely gorgeous.
There's a blog here with pics. Not sure if it's my monitor but the shade is definitely a tad darker and more wine/burgundy than red on me than it is in these pics. Also the slight shimmer is much less noticeable in RL than it is on camera :

http://ulmiel.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/jessica-shall-we-dance.html

LulaPalooza Thu 04-Oct-12 10:57:17

I have gone completely off piste today and am wearing Nails Inc St John's Wood with a top coat of Avon Nail Experts Gold Strength which gives a teeny bit of shimmer.

It looks as though Pure White is only available via the Alessandro website
here

TheBirdsTheBirds Thu 04-Oct-12 11:28:35

I've just bought OPI Quarter of a Cent-Cherry but will try Malaga Wine if it's not opaque enough. Nails Inc Manchester looks really nice too, if the shimmer isn't too much (frosted reds remind me too much of my MIL...) Nails Inc St James is one of the best bright reds I have - it's almost a one coater.

Thanks for all the ideas!

IdoknowtheMuffinMan Thu 04-Oct-12 11:34:49

I like Revlon Top Speed in Vintage, 2 coats and dries in minutes.

I'm wearing Revlon Blackest Black with Seche Vite on top and DD just said its looks like "witches hats" I like it though grin

jammietart Thu 04-Oct-12 14:58:25

You've already had loads of suggestions but I was bored this afternoon so I put 2 coats of each of my red nail varnishes on and can recommend Dior The Rouge. Fab deep red colour and opaque after 1 coat never mind 2 !

TheBirdsTheBirds Thu 04-Oct-12 15:14:21

Ooh, interesting jammie, I don't have any Dior polishes so would not have thought of them. Thanks!

If any other red polish lovers are lurking on this thread, I can highly recommend Essie's Lacquered Up as the world's greatest, most opaque, most easy to apply true red. It's very very bright and a bit jelly-ish, but still opaque in one coat.

Ok, I need to stop thinking about nails now.

QueefLatina Thu 04-Oct-12 15:21:04

Rimmel 'Celebrity Bash' is really good

LulaPalooza Thu 04-Oct-12 21:43:30

I love Dior polishes but they're so spenny. At least they don't chip as badly as Chanel polishes though, and I find the brushes better with Dior polish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now