Can curly/wavy hair ever look groomed ?

(39 Posts)
Mosman Mon 01-Oct-12 08:04:46

I'm struggling a big to look smart in the heat, 32 here today and my hair has gone mental.
I'm currently mousey brown, just past shoulders and deep waves that end in curls from time to time. I don't have a fringe, oval face, late thirties and just feel a bit scruffy/hippy even in smart clothes.
I look best IMO with a collar length highlighted bob that I wore in 2006. I felt smart and tidy but I had more time then.
Not sure what to do.

Mypopcornface Thu 04-Oct-12 22:45:11

Thanks so much I will have to try

SavoyCabbage Thu 04-Oct-12 22:15:44

I couldn't believe it either! Especially as I bought it for myself and o my used it on my dds as an afterthought, I wanted to see if it would make it any less knotty in the mornings as it is a nightmare sometimes. I thought if it was smoother it would be easier to manage.

I dry it a bit first with the hair dryer to save time and then I use it. I don't put in any effort or use any products. The big big hair is really easy to use. There are videos on YouTube but it really is easy. It rotates both ways and you slide a switch to change it from one direction to the other.

babybarrister Thu 04-Oct-12 15:43:46

sadly I think the answer is no ... I always have my hair blow dried straight when delivering seminars etc etc - makes me look more professional and conventional I suspect .... - creates quite a controversy at work as soem of my colleagues hardly recognise me as I have v thick, curly hair!

I have found one conditioner pretty good -Rene Furterer - Karite. Kiehls Olive Oil also good but both v expensive ,,,

ChoccyJules Thu 04-Oct-12 14:42:14

I have also found that washing it every other day helps, it's much calmer and easier to style on the non-wash day.
Have alo started using Aussie leave-on conitioning spray, which I use then blast with hairdryer before styling. Gets me closer to where I 'd like it to be (ie what it looks like when I leave the hairdressers).

Mypopcornface Thu 04-Oct-12 14:38:11

Savoy Cabbage - my hair looks like your daughter hair but shorter. I can't believe (in a goood way) that I can achieve that result at home with baby liss big hair only! Obviously I will have to do it myself...is it hard work, how long does it take and does the product come with instructions??

nada29 Thu 04-Oct-12 09:43:50

Thanks SavoyCabbage.

Thumbwitch Thu 04-Oct-12 09:31:45

I look terrible with straight hair - it's so fine!! the curl/wave is the only thing that gives it any body sad

I agree with Himalaya that we should challenge the whole "straight is better" perception - where in hell did that come from anyway?! almost certainly hair product sales/advertising I reckon

Mosman Thu 04-Oct-12 09:17:01

I look older with straight hair but more authoritarian apparently. Like a fun mum with curls though arghhh

Himalaya Thu 04-Oct-12 08:15:45

No, curly hair can never look as boring groomed as straight hair.

An up do, or very short looks sharper than letting it hang loose. I know that when I have my hair blow dried straight I suddenly look more professional. But then I think we have to challenge that perception by being professional and curly smile

People tend to make snap judgements about people based on age, race, accent etc... None of it is relevant. Be curly and proud!

SavoyCabbage Thu 04-Oct-12 08:00:37

I reckon it would straighten it so it would liik lke straight hair that has not been straightened. I don't use any product or anything.

My dd's hair is curly like this (obviously that's not her!!!!!) and it ends up like this

nada29 Wed 03-Oct-12 23:30:35

SavoyCabbage, please tell me if you can straighten wavy hair with babyliss big hair brush. DD has lovely, wavy hair but being 13 she thinks that only straight hair is beautiful. I'm tired of blow drying her long hair, so a solution could be babyliss big hair.

BranchingOut Wed 03-Oct-12 23:10:47

Does that Keratase Oleo Curl work on fine curly hair? The product description says it is for thick curls.

Mypopcornface Wed 03-Oct-12 22:59:51

I alternate 'sammy' leave in for curly hair, you can find at super drug and morocon oil.

Marking place to read later

isshoes Wed 03-Oct-12 21:12:51
isshoes Wed 03-Oct-12 21:12:14

Tried the curly plop method this morning and it worked beautifully! Simple explanation here: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/tips/to-plop-or-not-to-plop

SoldeInvierno Mon 01-Oct-12 18:52:31

Keratase Oleo Curl is my hair's best friend. I don't wash it every day, but I wet it and apply this balm. It works really well, as it defines the curls and gets rid of frizz.

DameSaggarmakersbottomknocker Mon 01-Oct-12 18:35:13

Mine is curly and I'm not sure it can look groomed TBH. I'm wearing mine a bit shorter these days which seems to help (not too short else it curls even more). If I want to look groomed I put it up.

hattymattie Mon 01-Oct-12 18:27:28

I tried an elfin crop with mine - but ends sticking out everywhere - which curl when humid - so also awaiting suggestions.

LongGoneBeforeDaylight Mon 01-Oct-12 18:16:38

I'm a lawyer and I wear beachy waves to work. I think it's ok so long as you don't add any other "dressed down" or boho elements...

Levantine Mon 01-Oct-12 14:25:42

My new discovery is washing my hair less often .... it is fine and wavy adn there is lots of it - I am 40 and find that it is much tidier when I don't wash it every day

SavoyCabbage Mon 01-Oct-12 14:01:03

Have you tried a babyliss big hair? It's tamed my dd's hair.

Mosman Mon 01-Oct-12 13:58:27

I'll be honest that's exactly the look I'm trying to avoid, great on a young girl but I'm not sure it's very groomed.

LongGoneBeforeDaylight Mon 01-Oct-12 13:54:00

She's blonde, yes but a good example of how to do good waves. She's got a beauty site (I think called The Beauty Department) where she demonstrates how to do it...

Mosman Mon 01-Oct-12 13:38:58

The ladies of peppermint grove are already utterly confused by my posh car, English accent and tattoo's. Cornrows might actually make one faint into her lemon ice tea grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now