Can anyone recommend a skin/hair/nails supplement that really works?

(23 Posts)
Northernexile Tue 17-Jul-12 16:09:03

Just that really! My hair has been getting thinner and I'm moulting more than the bloody dog since I had my daughter, so if anyone knows any good supplements I will be eternally grateful!

TIA grin

redrubyshoes Tue 17-Jul-12 16:14:53

I take Perfectil and use a very, very soft, gentle hairbrush.

valiumredhead Tue 17-Jul-12 16:24:03

Kelp is very good for hair.

Canihavesomemore Tue 17-Jul-12 16:29:56

I second perfectil

Northernexile Tue 17-Jul-12 16:38:14

May have to try Perfectil then, it seems to be the most well-known brand, but didn't want to shell out on that basis alone. With regards to kelp, what do you do with it valium? <interested but a bit thick emoticon>

redrubyshoes Tue 17-Jul-12 16:41:30

The thing with Perfectil is you have to keep taking it. There is no use taking it for a couple of weeks and then stopping and starting, you will see results after about three months.

Northernexile Tue 17-Jul-12 16:43:53

Three months- I will be bald by then at the rate I'm going! grin

redrubyshoes Tue 17-Jul-12 16:50:46

I have been taking it for five months and thought it hadn't made much difference until DP and I were going through the holiday photos and I saw my hair from the back. I compared it to a photo from last year and it has thickened out.

Pinot Tue 17-Jul-12 18:33:29

kelp? like seaweed?

Yes like seaweed.

Try brewers yeast too for b vits and amino acids and minerals, I'm taking msm too but I haven't been taking it long enough to see a difference yet

Gingefringe Tue 17-Jul-12 20:46:21

I've been taking Perfectil for about 10 years and think that my skin and hair benefit greatly from it. I'm 49, gone through the menopause and my skin has a nice glow to it. You can get 3 packs in Asda for £10 (normally about £7/8 each in Boots).

Don't forget to eat lots of protein and vegetables though, keratins not made of cake and biscuits.

jamaisjedors Wed 18-Jul-12 08:37:43

There are lots of supplements on fushi for hair nails etc. I've been taking the beauty totale but not particularly regularly so it's hard to tell about the results.

I think my hair is shinier.

redrubyshoes Thu 19-Jul-12 21:23:15

I am the last person to compliment myself (no self confidence) but I went to my hairdresser today and he complimented me on my silky soft and shiny hair.

It is also the first time I have been able to grow it long and it has beautiful waves.

Before it was dry and split. Perfictil and cod liver oil is working but it took a few months.

Northernexile Thu 19-Jul-12 23:05:47

Thanks for the tips. Have ordered Perfectil. Had a good haircut this week too, long overdue, so hopefully that will help too. I'm still interested in the kelp though, if anyone can tell me where to get it/what to do with it!

DingbatsFur Fri 20-Jul-12 08:10:38

Stick with the Perfectil! Kelp can cause thyroid problems.

DoingTheBestICan Fri 20-Jul-12 08:12:58

I take boots own make skin hair and nails vitamins,my nails are the strongest they have ever been and my hair grows really fast.
I have been taking them for about 5 mths now and I wouldn't ever not take them now.

Order kelp off amazon, get the solgar one cos its only one a day not 3.

It's just a tablet. quite small.

ClaudiaCutie Fri 20-Jul-12 13:04:58

Big thanks to those who recommended Perfectil, have been at wit's end with brittle thin hair. Will try it for 3 months and monitor. Appreciate the recommendation!

IHaveAFeatureWallAndILikeIt Fri 20-Jul-12 13:05:58

I started eating a couple of squares of jelly (straight out of the packet) every day and my flaky brittle nails have grown really strong!

Northernexile Sat 21-Jul-12 21:11:26

My Perfectil arrived today. Glossy mane here I come!

oldbootface Mon 29-Oct-12 21:04:46

sorry for bumping an oldish thread but wanted to ask Northernexile if she's seen any results from the Perfectil.

Gingefringe Mon 29-Oct-12 22:07:39

I have been using perfectil for about 10 years and feel that it does make a difference to my hair and skin.
You can get 3 packs in Asda for £10

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now