How to avoid Boden, Joules, Fat Face and White Stuff

(95 Posts)
NotAnotherChinHair Wed 10-Nov-10 17:15:53

I like a lot of stuff in those shops although I am starting to dislike Boden and Joules as all the mums at the playgroud wear something from there. Today I even saw the headteacher wearing a Boden coat. I just find it a bit offputting but I do like their stuff, although not everything. So anyway, where does one go for alternatives? Specifically I am looking for a mini for myself that isn't too much of a mini (I am 40) if that makes any sense. Thank you!

MrsVincentPrice Wed 10-Nov-10 18:27:31

Gap's got some nice cord semi-minis in at the mo, and 30% off vouchers this week.

notyummy Wed 10-Nov-10 18:27:32

Phase Eight has some GREAT stuff in this season - although I realise up until now it a slight 'mother of the bride' whiff about it. They must have a new design team.

Seriously worth a look.

Otherwise Warehouse, H & M and ASOS all worth a peek. Gap/Banana Republic as well - def now they do stuff online.

notyummy Wed 10-Nov-10 18:28:15

Am 38 btw, so simlar age to you.

pointydog Wed 10-Nov-10 18:30:56

Who designs well for an averge height, broad but not overweight apple, bath?

bettymoody Wed 10-Nov-10 18:53:24

agree some phase eight is ok
some a bit gin and jag and liek that bbc breakfast weatehr person

BelligerentGhoul Wed 10-Nov-10 18:58:48

The number of shops I see anything I like in seems to be decreasing by the week.

I still make occasional finds in:
Warehouse;
M&S Limited or Autograph;
Gap (used to like it but think it's getting worse and worse);
I like occasional bits in Hobbs nowadays but mostly too long and too expensive and a lot of it is horrible.

Other than basics like replacing knitwear and t-shirts, my plan is now largely to buy v little and just hit the Vivienne Westood sales once or twice a year.

traceybath Wed 10-Nov-10 19:04:18

Oh BG - talking of Viv - I'm liking this

Oh and bought a nice top in gap - in plum and its really nice and amazingly for gap has actually washed well.

pointydog Wed 10-Nov-10 19:04:32

I know fc is a bit odd and young (in an odd way) but I got a great neat little cardi and ruched grey top there recently.

And I love their jeans but they are so ridiculously long I have had to buy a pair of stilletto boots hmm

pointydog Wed 10-Nov-10 19:05:05

bath, where should an apple shop? Seriously

bettymoody Wed 10-Nov-10 19:05:30

dwarfy wink
i am a 33
their jeans are 32 and 34

pointydog Wed 10-Nov-10 19:07:51

The fc jeans I like are one size only and it must be 34. Maybe that's just the shops in scotlanf wink

traceybath Wed 10-Nov-10 19:09:17

Well I shop in lots of places but do like warehouse, new look, jigsaw, odd bits from boden and as BG said Anglomania is fab in the sales. You could get a dress for less than a £100 which is pretty much FC prices.

I also avoid anything belted as look like a sack of potatoes.

Oh and Compyoir good for neat fitting stuff.

traceybath Wed 10-Nov-10 19:09:38

I meant Comptoir obviously.

bettymoody Wed 10-Nov-10 19:10:08

i agree wiht tb again
i dont like belts or frills
i like plain

pointydog Wed 10-Nov-10 19:10:50

ok. I am going shopping soon

BelligerentGhoul Wed 10-Nov-10 19:18:28

Love that t-shirt Tracey. The dress would be fab on you, I'm sure - but it would make me look like like a deranged tomato!

readinginbed Wed 10-Nov-10 19:25:00

Oxfam - DKNY, Jill Sander etc for a fraction of the original price

Jajas Wed 10-Nov-10 19:27:44

gin and jag grin!

Pannacotta Wed 10-Nov-10 19:30:51

reading have you really found DKNY and Jill Sander in Oxfam?

pointydog Wed 10-Nov-10 19:31:58

She lives somewhere so posh event the charity shops are top notch wink.

Pannacotta Wed 10-Nov-10 19:34:18

I'd be delirious if our local chairty shops stocked those kinds of clothes, ours is mostly recycled Primarni, at the same price it woudl have cost new!

readinginbed Wed 10-Nov-10 19:37:38

Oxfam in Herne Hill, not posh just sarf London: DKNY once found, also Katharine Hamnet, but there's a great second hand shop in notting hill called Retro clothing where I've found lots of DKNY, and Jill Sander. Near tube stop. The hip sales assistants are a bit of a blow to the ego but worth it for the bargains

Meggles76 Wed 10-Nov-10 20:14:33

I tend to buy the following items from the following places

Boden - only for plain T-shirt tops and breton style tops
Monsoon - for cardigans and Jumpers
Next - for denim (mainly because I am short and their petite length is good for me)
Joules - for accessories - beads, scarves, gloves etc
Warehouse - for dresses, cardigans
M&S - for tights, vests and knickers and the vvery occasional bit of cashmere
Lands End - ONLY for duvet coats and gilets
H&M for accessories and T-shirts

bellylaugh Wed 10-Nov-10 20:17:32

I got a couple of nice bits from Joe Browns

Warehouse is great at the moment too, haven't shopped there for years

WhatsWrongWithYou Wed 10-Nov-10 20:36:45

Don't think anyone's mentioned esprit.

Can be quite dull but, a bit like gap, worth a look as you sometimes come across decent basics there, I find - like the look of their waxed jeans.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now