Tour de Yorkshire, Cambridge...and oh yes France as well!!

(985 Posts)
Panwearsjaune Sat 31-May-14 13:05:25

bike
T minus 35 days and counting, to the Grand Depart from Leeds 5th July, with two stages in the White County, and then a third from Cambridge to the Mall in London. It's just soo exciting!
It's the biggest biking event in the world, with approx 190 professional riders in about 20 teams racing across tarmac and cobbles, up mountains and down Dales and ending on 27th July on the Champs Elysee, Paris in the now traditional sprint finish there.
So here's the thread to share in it all, swop info about accommodation for Tour watchers, road closures, the parcours (courses), peloton gossip, potential meet ups, tv coverage, who's got the nicest legs etc..<seems to be a traditional MN peloton topic of discussion grin> and everything to do with the thrills and occasional spills with the event that is a game of poker played out every day on 380 wheels.
OF course if you are a newbie to all of this and are curious about the whys and hows of racing then ask and someone will pop up to answer questions. Hopefully.

So I'll depart here next with the routes of the UK 3 stages being taken so no-one gets lost and ends up in the dreaded broom wagon. bike

Panwearsjaune Sat 31-May-14 13:09:20

Stage One 5th July Leeds to Harrogate. Click the image to open.

Panwearsjaune Sat 31-May-14 13:11:27

Stage Two 6th July York to Sheffield. Click image to open.

Panwearsjaune Sat 31-May-14 13:12:48

Stage Three 7th July Cambridge to London. <you know what to do>

EndoplasmicReticulum Sat 31-May-14 13:44:08

Front page of the local paper this week:
www.harrogateadvertiser.co.uk/news/local/image-mark-cavendish-in-harrogate-1-6646580

I like the story about him getting lost. Hope he doesn't do that on stage 1!

Panwearsrosa Sat 31-May-14 13:51:53

Well without Petacchi or Renshaw to lead him no wonder he got lost!

DramaAlpaca Sat 31-May-14 14:18:18

Thanks Pan for the new thread bike

Just marking my place while I get into training for le grand départ.

Would MNHQ give us a yellow bike, do you think, or would that be pushing our luck? grin

Panwearsjaune Sat 31-May-14 15:31:40

erm......grin

HowGoodIsThat Sat 31-May-14 20:30:53

I am a Tourmaker on Stage 2, between Knaresborough and Harrogate. My training is two weeks today but I still don't know whether I am on-route or off-route. I have a narsty suspicion that it'll be toilet duty...

Chris Froome was up here yesterday - I was in Wales. Typical.

EndoplasmicReticulum Sat 31-May-14 20:46:49

Knaresborough is looking very Tour de France ready. Harrogate still has lots of holes in the roads.

Hope you get to see the race in between the toilet duties!

Where was Chris Froome? I keep gawping at cyclists in the hope that I'll spot someone famous, but haven't seen anyone yet.

LostInWales Tue 03-Jun-14 12:49:17

Right, this is where it's at then. I am SO excited. How many days to go?

LostInWales Tue 03-Jun-14 12:51:10

31 days, 23 hours and 9 minutes apparently grin bike grin.

fruitpastille Tue 03-Jun-14 12:56:45

Lots of yellow bikes dotted along the route round here. I'm excited and I have never been into cycling!

HowGoodIsThat Tue 03-Jun-14 19:34:08

Froome et al were scoping out both the Yorkshire stages. There is much indignation in our bike club that David Lopez took a hat-full of Strava KoMs off the local riders. grin.

Harrogate's mini-jersey bunting is going up - it'll look ace.

EndoplasmicReticulum Tue 03-Jun-14 20:34:33

The mini-jerseys are great.

I've decorated a bike (but mine is green not yellow) - in progress on decorating two more, and am currently making Mont Ventoux in the garden shed.

Panwearsjaune Tue 03-Jun-14 20:36:29

am currently making Mont Ventoux in the garden shed

Figuratively spluttered all over the laptop.grin

Classic.bike

Panwearsjaune Tue 03-Jun-14 20:41:03

fruitpastille, it's confusing, dramatic, heroic, funny, serious, colour-rich and utterly splendid!bike For two days in July, South and a bit of North Yorkshire will be the focus of multi-coloured international madness.bike

WinterHasRuinedMyFace Tue 03-Jun-14 20:50:35

Hello! I'm coming up to the Rapha tempest festival (first time camping with the baby - gulp!) can't wait! Is anyone doing a fantasy team? Do we have a league?

LostInWales Tue 03-Jun-14 20:57:22

Fantasy team you say? Oooooh.

Endoplastic I have one of these by my bed grin.

EndoplasmicReticulum Tue 03-Jun-14 21:10:24

Oooh I might need one of those. But much smaller. I am trying to build it to scale. Have ordered many tiny bicycles from ebay.

DramaAlpaca Tue 03-Jun-14 21:45:51

Just bunny-hopping over from the Giro thread so I don't lose sight of the peloton - don't want to end up in the broom wagon grin

LostInWales Tue 03-Jun-14 22:38:13

Penblwydd Hapus DA winewinewine

(Told you I was slipstreaming elegantly over to the next thread wink)

Yes, holding my little mountain marker in my hand you'd probably need a bloody big shed to make one to scale including this. I imagine you could make something similar but smaller out of lego. What size does it need to be, I have an awful lot of lego.

DramaAlpaca Tue 03-Jun-14 22:45:24

Sláinte, Lost wine wine You need to share this fizz with me or I'll have a very sore head tomorrow grin

Panwearsjaune Tue 03-Jun-14 22:52:22

<ahem> your well-earned sore head is your own DA.smile
See you on the other side.bike

Panwearsjaune Tue 03-Jun-14 22:54:14

And don't forget..we have team Cat 1 mountain training at 5.45am tomorrow. See you then.grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now