Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Mumsnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com. If you are a start-up or student and you want to request feedback from MNers, please post in Media Requests topic.

NOW CLOSED If parents ruled the world…what would make it into your 'Mummyfesto'? Share your thoughts and win £200 Love2shop voucher

(205 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 28-Feb-13 12:21:22

To celebrate the launch of the new book, The Mummyfesto by Linda Green, we'd like to know what issues Mumsnetters would campaign for if parents were in charge.

Here's what the publishers of The Mummyfesto say: "Issues affecting and surrounding parents don't often come to the forefront of the political agenda - a recent survey by 23snaps revealed that 46% of parents don't think family issues get much attention from politicians. This is addressed in The Mummyfesto, a new book by Linda Green, in which three mums who campaign to save their local lollipop lady from redundancy discover that they are rather good at it."

So what would you like to see in world where parents are in charge? This can be anything from free childcare to Mumsnet replacing the House of Lords. We'd love to hear what you think - if parents ruled the world, how would we make it better? It could be something small and local or big and national, silly or deadly serious. Time to get creative!

Everyone who adds a comment to this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a £200 Love2shop voucher.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

Herrena Thu 28-Feb-13 14:04:24

A UK-wide network of very reasonably priced ad-hoc housekeeper/nannies to swoop in and help on those days when the cupboard is bare, house is chaos, children are playing up, someone's coming for dinner and you really need to get that Very Important Thing finished for work within the next thirty minutes.

This^^ with bells on, and tax-deductible childcare at a price that doesn't eat up all of one average-earner's income (and a bit more).

Oh, and the word mummyfesto is horrible.

That I loathe the term "mummyfesto" aside:

That companies are encouraged to create more flexible/part time roles. How can a parent work 9-6 when nursery closes at 6 too?

montiefletcher Thu 28-Feb-13 14:16:26

affordable childcare for all!!!

EmmelineGoulden Thu 28-Feb-13 14:20:37

My mummy - festo would be that it damn well needs to be a parent - festo. I am sick to death of all the subtle nudges that push responsibility for our children from our shoulders to mine.

elizaco Thu 28-Feb-13 14:22:20

I would stop holiday companies exploiting families by increasing their prices so much in school holidays. I would encourage hotels/attractions to consider that a family room/family ticket may need to be for more than 2 adults/2 children. And I would put a halt to the closing of public libraries.

Tee2072 Thu 28-Feb-13 14:24:52

I have to agree about the name of the book.

Free childcare, including coverage for ill children.
Some sort of payment to SAHMs.

weenwee Thu 28-Feb-13 14:29:39

Stop comparing your child with other children. Stop comparing yourself with other parents. Stop. The. Comparisons. They aren't helping anyone, you're just hurting yourself.

Agree the word mummyfesto sounds awful and also <sigh> sexist.

That aside, here's my suggestions:

1. That employers must consider whether a senior job has to be filled as 100% full time. If not, they must advertise it as pro-rata negotiable % FTE. That way experienced managers returning to the work force after a maternity/paternity break will be able to apply for senior positions at, say 3 days per week, rather than being faced with the horrible choice of either full time or a junior position where your skills are never going to be used properly again. This would also benefit the businesses! I have run businesses - it SAVES MONEY! Sorry for shouting but it is so basic it hurts to sit by and watch.
2. All childcare costs to be tax deductible. Another basic one.
3. That the speed limit outside schools drops to 20 mph limit on weekdays at school drop off and pick up times. They do this in Australia, with the times posted on a street sign, and I think it makes people pay attention.
4. That the application for midwife training includes the question: 'do you actually like people?' and applicants are forced to look the interviewer in the eye when they answer.

That is all.

Labootin Thu 28-Feb-13 14:49:40

Mummyfesto

Dear lord

It's a cupcake too far MN I don't care if they are giving you shed loads of money ... Know your fecking audience.

And I don't want crappy vouchers either

Support instead of filthy looks when I bundle onto the bus with a large double buggy or if my child is crying in a public place. Children are the future after all...

An end to the constant targeting of our children by endless advertising in this consumerist culture.

Hopezibah Thu 28-Feb-13 14:53:22

Not surprised to see so many comments about Special needs. Before my son was diagnosed, I beleived everything i read about 'every child matters' and saw lots of case studies about how play therapy/music therapy/occupational therapy was helping children with autism. Schools seemed to have teaching assistants to help children, and there were certainly plenty of policies in place to protect these children. Yet, once you have a child with special needs - you see the reality and you realise all of this is just rhetoric. All words designed to make the system look good with nothing actually in place to support the children who most need it.

I would put people into the education system who genuinely cared more about the children that about the schools statistics (I know there are lots of lovely, genuinely caring teachers out there and this isn't aimed at them - but the system is such that they are often left powerless or overridden by their superiors who find it easier to 'get rid of' 'problem children' than to support these children.).

I would make sure that parents had support in dealing with difficult situations themselves. Today, I have had such a difficult day with my son and I have no one to turn to. No one who can offer any practical help. He doesn't get any of these therapies that he desperately needs because it turns out they are not available (or resources are so stretched that waiting lists are often more than a year).

I would raise awareness of what autism is and is not - so that I don't want the ground to swallow me up when my son is struggling in a public place.

And finally, free cake for all parents!

kiwigirl42 Thu 28-Feb-13 14:54:03

the term Mummyfesto just buys into the cutesy, disregarding, misogynist outlook of mothers and women in general. We are more than 'Mummy's'
Same goes for Yummy Mummy etc.

offensive for MN to take money to publicise such shit no matter how well meaning the intent behind the book.

EmmelineGoulden Thu 28-Feb-13 14:55:21

I'd like to see significant, high quality, back to work training for jobs at all levels, including professional.

So that parents who've had some time out have a good, well respected route back into the job market.

HotPinkWeaselWearingLederhosen Thu 28-Feb-13 14:59:52

Mummyfuckingfesto my arse.

Politicians are meant to be in touch with reality. Why not research a book to ask why they are not?

CredulousThicko Thu 28-Feb-13 15:08:30

I'm a mummy parent of two, one of whom is SN.

All I have ever wished for is honesty and transparency from both the NHS and the education system, and most of my frustration has stemmed from the lack of it from both.

It's a constant fight to get treatments in the NHS and help in the education system, and feeling that you are being obstructed/lied to/not being offered things that you should be offered etc has caused my faith in human nature to take a huge knock. (Fine now, child is older and I've got used to it and also now got MN - wish it had been around during those times)

So, for new parents of SN/SEN children, that is what I would give. It may even be in the form of each parent/s being assigned their own 'key worker' who would liaise between NHS/Education/anyone else, follow them through pre-school, primary, secondary etc., and who is THEIR advocate to make sure they know everything they need to know.

It goes without saying that statements of SEN should be done for you, rather than parents having to go through all that shite.

I don't like the name Mummyfesto either btw.

I'd like to see more schools so that we can have smaller class numbers.

Locally for example, years ago an adult college (In an old primary school building) closed down and is now empty and being vandalised. 300 metres down the road from this empty school building is the local failing primary school that has classes that are 'doubled up' so that TWO year groups are being taught in one classroom! Why not split the school into lower and upper halves and move the first three year groups to the empty school building? Lack of funds is always the answer - meanwhile the children in the overcrowded failing primary are losing out on the education they need and deserve while our local Councillors try to defend trips away that have cost the tax payer £1000s!

VenetiaLanyon Thu 28-Feb-13 15:19:26

I bet if you looked at the make-up of most governments, in most countries, you'd find that parents rule the world already....

katiewalters Thu 28-Feb-13 15:24:43

that energy costs stopped going up every year, and we all paid 1 amount per year, and could use as much gas and electric as we wanted.
chesper childcare, as the cost of it is sometimes what stops moms from working, as it wouldnt be worth their while after paying childcare costs
that all kids were treated once a month to a fun day, whether it be a trip to the zoo, the beach or a museum, as not all kids experience those things, as parents may not be able to afford it

EauRouge Thu 28-Feb-13 15:29:32

Agree about 'mummyfesto'. The only people permitted to call me 'mummy' are the DDs.

I would like to see better maternity care. More MWs, more choice about where you want to give birth and how. More and better quality post-natal support for breastfeeding, birth injuries, PND etc.

newfashionedmum Thu 28-Feb-13 15:52:56

End the state sponsorship of the class and religious segregation which is currently supported by government funding to Faith Schools and faith based academies.

MrsIgglePiggle Thu 28-Feb-13 16:03:47

Every child to have one hour of exercise a day.

Herrena Thu 28-Feb-13 16:07:18

Here's another one: all midwives and health visitors should be forced made to undergo a training programme where they are disabused of the flat-out WRONG old wives tales that so many of them spout. GPs (doctors, not grandparents!) would possibly benefit from this as well.

That the application for midwife training includes the question: 'do you actually like people?' and applicants are forced to look the interviewer in the eye when they answer.

And this.

Mummyfesto? WTF? That is wrong and insulting on so many levels.

Doogle2 Thu 28-Feb-13 16:20:55

I think the title is fine. I love being a 'mummy'.

If I had input the serious one would be smaller class sizes.

My ideal would be the government to provide healthy home cooked meals to the home at least twice a week. Oh and a cleaner. And wine. Yes lots of wine especially for mumsnet members.

BrainSurgeon Thu 28-Feb-13 16:24:11

Sorry HQ but I don't like Mummyfesto either.

The intention is good though. My biggest bug bear is child abuse in any form - not sure how and what can be done but I'd spend all my efforts looking into that first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now