This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

NOW CLOSED Talk to Mrs Crimble's about gluten free cooking and shopping and be in with a chance of winning a hamper of goodies

(187 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 14-Jan-13 10:32:48

We've been asked by Mrs Crimble's to find out what your top tips are for a gluten free diet. We've posted a few questions below to get you started but please feel free to add any other comments/tips you have here too. Mrs Crimble's would also love it if you checked out some of the recipes on their website. Everyone who posts their comments on this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a hamper of Mrs Crimble's goodies.

~ If you buy gluten free products, where do you tend to buy them from? Do you ever buy Mrs Crimble's products? If so, which ones and where do you buy them?

~ Do you do lots of gluten free cooking? If so, what are your top tips for knocking up delicious gluten free meals/snacks? Please do share any brilliant recipes you have here - Mrs Crimble's may feature the ones they like the most on their website.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
MNHQ

jellybeans Thu 24-Jan-13 12:07:52

Mash powder is also a good thickener for soups.

SpringHeeledJack Fri 25-Jan-13 19:41:14

envy

<pinches flaming>

did Mrs Crimble talk about whether she was back in friends with Aunty Bessie?

1ivewire Sun 27-Jan-13 14:37:57

I love Mrs crimbles! Especially the Chocolate coconut macaroons.. They are available at Tesco's and Sainsburys, but i especially love that i can usually find them at petrol stations where there is very limited choice, so at least it keeps my gluten free needs met!

I'd love Mrs Crimble to bring out a recipe book so I can make my own gluten free treats!

cluckyhen Sun 27-Jan-13 20:56:36

I'm not GF but my friends daughter needs a GF diet. I really struggle to get the right ingredients when she comes to visit and I actually feel really guilty about it

ivanapoo Mon 28-Jan-13 16:04:20

If you have clementines or similar small sweet oranges that need eating there's a fabulous dense cake you can make by boiling them and then blending with ground almonds, egg and sugar. It's dairy free too so great for pretty much all diets except vegan.

I'm not coeliac but try not to eat too much wheat/flour so often end up choosing gluten free options. I prefer things that happen to be GF like your macaroons rather than stuff that uses substitutes like another type of flour.

(I ate a whole pack of Mrs Chrimbles coconut rings in one go last week. I'm breastfeeding and need the energy, OK?!)

sjw01 Mon 28-Jan-13 20:37:55

I love Mrs Crimble's smile

SpringHeeledJack Mon 28-Jan-13 21:30:19

ooh, ivana

I was pondering that cake the other day, as I have a clementine glut

it just sounds a bit horrid. The putting-EVERYthing-in bit

I might give it a go now

cathyov Mon 28-Jan-13 22:49:44

Was amazed what a difference a gluten free diet had on a pupil at my school on the autistic spectrum.

ivanapoo Tue 29-Jan-13 08:14:44

Spring I think you're probably meant to use unwaxed fruit but I just use what's going. It is a bit strange to pulp it all but it really doesn't taste too bitter - the skin is really thin on clems so it softens up really easily, meaning you don't get big lumps of peel (use a food processor).

lcroberts9 Tue 29-Jan-13 10:26:26

My husband's just been diagnosed with IBS so I read this thread with interest - gluten-free cooking is brand-new to us!

We already loved Mrs Crimble's macaroons though smile

MissPoppins Tue 29-Jan-13 15:56:19

My mum needs GF food so i like to have some bits in the house, she always says that GF food doesnt taste of much! Can you recommend the tastiest GF products

matphil Tue 29-Jan-13 20:02:46

I have only just started to buy GF food so I am still learning so I will be looking to Mrs Crimbles for help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now