This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

NOW CLOSED: Share your thoughts on keeping your baby warm at night with the team behind Grobags – £250 prize up for grabs

(181 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 12-Nov-12 13:29:57

The team at The Gro Company have asked us to find out your opinions and experiences of keeping your baby warm during the winter months.

The Gro Company say "Around 95% of UK parents of newborns choose to use a baby sleeping bag to keep their baby safe and snug during sleep and naptimes. In order to comply with the current British Safety Standard for baby sleep bags, Grobag does not offer a product with sleeves which means these parents sometimes feel concerned about their babies having chilly arms.

Designed to complement the multi-award winning Grobag, the new Gro-Suit keeps the baby's arm warm with thick quilted sleeves while the rest of the suit is a single cotton layer. Worn inside a Grobag it provides the perfect balance of warm arms and a safer body temperature."

They've chatted to parents before and find that often parents, who feel that their baby's arms and hands feel cold to the touch in colder winter months, are tempted to add extra layers to their children's bedding, which could potentially reduce the safety of the sleep environment.

So please share on this thread
~ Your overall views and experiences of keeping your baby (or your child when they were a baby) warm at night
~ Did you or do you worry about your baby's arms being cold at night? How do you judge if they are cold or too warm?
~ Do you use a room thermometer or use touch to gauge temperature?
~ Do you use a baby sleeping bag? Are you aware that to comply with British Safety regulations, baby sleeping bags should not have sleeves/arms?
~ What do you think about this new product? Do you think it's something you'd use in the winter months as an alternative to a standard baby gro?

Any other comments welcome - the team from The Gro Company are on hand on facebook to answer any queries you have but will also respond to queries raised on this thread.

Add your comments below - everyone who does will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will get Gro company products including Grobags and vouchers for high street stores to the value of £250.

Thanks,
MNHQ

~ Did you or do you worry about your baby's arms being cold at night? How do you judge if they are cold or too warm?

My babies are 11,7,5&4 now but I would worry in winter if they were the correct temperature, especially when we slept at my parents house who didn't have central heating. I would slip a couple of fingers into the neck hole of their vests to see how warm their bodies were.

We used touch.
~ Do you use a baby sleeping bag? Are you aware that to comply with British Safety regulations, baby sleeping bags should not have sleeves/arms?

I used sleeping bags with dd1 from about 6 months and the rest from a couple of months. I wasn't aware of the safety regulations.

~ What do you think about this new product? Do you think it's something you'd use in the winter months as an alternative to a standard baby gro?

I used to dress my babies in long sleeved vest, sleepsuit and a cardigan if it was cold before putting them in the sleeping bag. I don't think I'd have bothered with this product as I'd have already had sleepsuits and cardigans handy.

musthavecoffee Tue 13-Nov-12 14:20:06

~ Your overall views and experiences of keeping your baby (or your child when they were a baby) warm at night. I always used sheets and blankets with my son, I preferred being able to remove layers to regulate warmth without disturbing him too much.

~ Did you or do you worry about your baby's arms being cold at night? How do you judge if they are cold or too warm? I didn't really worry about him having cold arms, I would be up with him regularly in the night and would tuck him up as needed.

~ Do you use a room thermometer or use touch to gauge temperature? I used a thermometer to gauge the room temperature but relied totally on touch ( down the back of his neck) to check whether he was warm enough or not.

~ Do you use a baby sleeping bag? Are you aware that to comply with British Safety regulations, baby sleeping bags should not have sleeves/arms? I don't use one, although I did try my son in one at. Around three months. He didn't really settle very well so I went back to blankets. I wasn't aware that not having arms on the sleeping bag was a safety requirement.

~ What do you think about this new product? Do you think it's something you'd use in the winter months as an alternative to a standard baby gro? I think anything that gives parents more options to help their children to sleep well is a good idea! I would stick with what I know here though and continue to use layers at night with my little one.

fruityoatybrains Tue 13-Nov-12 14:26:58

I worry a little. I tend to put him in a long sleeve pajama top. I will put a blanket on him on top of sleeping bag if I feel it is tooo cold. I also have a small oil filled radiator that goes on when the temp gets too cold in the room.

Both. I also use a therm on the baby monitor

Yes. no not aware.

I think the product is very cute and would make a lovely gift to someone with a new baby. If it was available when my two were little I would have bought it!

mrscog Tue 13-Nov-12 14:31:33

~ Your overall views and experiences of keeping your baby (or your child when they were a baby) warm at night
DS (8 months) uses a sleeping bag - in the summer this was enough and now it's cooler I just put a couple of blankets over - I didn't realise you weren't meant to but it seems safe enough to me.

~ Did you or do you worry about your baby's arms being cold at night? How do you judge if they are cold or too warm? Yes his hands do get cold but I figure that he'd wake up if he was uncomfortable, I do put a longsleeved vest on over the top and use babygrows with inbuilt scratch mits where possible

~ Do you use a room thermometer or use touch to gauge temperature? The baby monitor has a thermometer which I use

~ Do you use a baby sleeping bag? Are you aware that to comply with British Safety regulations, baby sleeping bags should not have sleeves/arms? Yes we use one, didn't know that about safety

Probably not as I think vest and babygrow with scratch mits to fold over is sufficient for an older baby. You could promote the manufacture of babygros for older babies with scratch mits though - they're hard to find!

MrsBungleBear Tue 13-Nov-12 15:32:36

Your overall views and experiences of keeping your baby (or your child when they were a baby) warm at night

I have a 3 year old and a 5 month old. I have used baby sleeping bags with both. I tried to keep the room the correct temperature throughout the night by keeping the heating on low. I usually put my baby in a long sleeve vest and a long sleeve baby gro and then the gro bag. Sometimes if its especially cold, I also put on a little pyjama jacket.

Did you or do you worry about your baby's arms being cold at night? How do you judge if they are cold or too warm?

I did and do worry about the baby being cold because his arms and hands sometimes seem really chilly! I do add layers to the arms by using a long sleeve vest and/or a lightweight pajama jacket.

Do you use a room thermometer or use touch to gauge temperature?

Yes, I had a gro egg with DD. With DS, my gro egg had broken but my baby monitor also shows the temperature. I also feel the baby's chest to see if its warm.

Do you use a baby sleeping bag? Are you aware that to comply with British Safety regulations, baby sleeping bags should not have sleeves/arms?

Yes I always use sleeping bags. They are far easier than other covers that might fall off or go over the baby's head. I wasn;t aware of the reason for them not having arms.

What do you think about this new product? Do you think it's something you'd use in the winter months as an alternative to a standard baby gro?

I would use this product. It sounds like a good idea.

Flippityjig Tue 13-Nov-12 16:30:37

I did worry about my baby being too cold but much more about her being too hot.
When my baby did sleep in a sleeping bag I worried her arms would be cold and always had her in long sleeved babygros in the winter.
I had a room thermometer in her room and tried to keep the temperature around 19 degrees.
I did use a baby sleeping bag once she started turning over as it meant she was still covered up at night. Also found that once she could stand up it stopped her trying to climb out of her cot.I used Grobags until she was old enough to sleep in a bed.
I think this is an excellent idea for the winter months to keep a baby's arms warm when she's sleeping in a Grobag.

turnipvontrapp Tue 13-Nov-12 16:38:22

Your overall views and experiences of keeping your baby (or your child when they were a baby) warm at night - I used a grobag on all 3 of my DS and they were great.
~ Did you or do you worry about your baby's arms being cold at night? How do you judge if they are cold or too warm? Probably a bit but not too much as they had long sleeve babysleepsuits on.
~ Do you use a room thermometer or use touch to gauge temperature?Have done but common sense is just as good.
~ Do you use a baby sleeping bag? Are you aware that to comply with British Safety regulations, baby sleeping bags should not have sleeves/arms?Used grobags. No wasn't aware of that.
I think its a great idea in winter or if you live in a really cold house.

Gentleness Tue 13-Nov-12 17:07:00

~ Your overall views and experiences of keeping your baby (or your child when they were a baby) warm at night.
I was much more anxious with my first (born in Sept) than with my second (born in May), partly because of the time of year and how well I got to know them before the cold weather started in. Our third is due soon and I'm already a bit worried as there'll be good 2 months of very cold weather to go when he or she arrives. However, I found that generally, they didn't need as many layers as my mum insisted on! They are both good at adjusting to temperatures now and I wonder if that is partly because I didn't coddle them.

I didn't worry about their arms specifically - more about their hands. Both my boys liked to suck their fingers or thumb at night so really hated having mittens or cuffs over their hands. In the end I had to trust and accept that if they were in pain with cold, they would wake up!

Both. When baby is very small I have a room thermometer set up for an overview, but use touch (baby's chest) to understand whether I need to add or remove a layer.

I use a sleeping bag from 1-2 months depending on the general temperature and the size of the baby. I was aware that most sleeping bags don't have arms except for older children and can't remember if I ever worked out why.

I like the idea and they are really pleasant subtle designs. I'd use it if it was bought for us, or had a gift-card, but otherwise would use what I already have - sleepsuits with a long-sleeved vest under if necessary. I'd worry that the quilted arms would take longer to dry and at least with layers, you have a small chance of only washing one of them! I found we went through so many clothes with vomit, poo-splosions and so on, I would need to spend a lot of money and a lot of laundry time for baby to be wearing one of these every night. Having said that, I might request a set from enquiring relatives and friends for the baby shower!

Rottenluck Tue 13-Nov-12 17:26:16

With my first daughter we used an oil filled radiator on a thermostat as her room was very cold. I don't find it such an issue in my current house.

Only is she is sleeping in a very cold room.

Both.

Yes and yes.

perhaps, if it was a really harsh winter or we were staying somewhere really cold. I normally find a long sleeve vest and pj top sufficient.

In the winter months I always put a pair of tights under their pj's/ sleep suit.
When they were tiny I used to put tiny socks on their hands too they seemed to stay on better than scratch mitts grin.

CheeryCherry Tue 13-Nov-12 18:52:58

With my first child we had no heating, just a plug in heater which I didn't dare leave on at night. So I was constantly concerned about how hot/cold he was.
I didn't really worry about his arms, as he had a baby grow and cardigan on! And mittens when it was really cold! Yes we did have a thermometer too, and touched his face, head and chest to check if he was ok.
Never used a sleeping bag, they weren't available, but I would have done, especially for my DD who thrashed around at night! Didn't know about the sleeves issue.
Do love the idea of this sleeping suit as I would prefer to leave the room cool but the baby warm.

CheddarOnToast Tue 13-Nov-12 19:03:01

I personally like to sleep in an unheated room, with minimal covering, so maybe I don't worry as much as I should about how warm my daughter is. I dress her in a sleeveless vest and pyjamas at night, and use a 2.5 tog baby sleeping bag. If I feel it is very cold, I dress her in a long sleeved vest and pyjamas and the sleeping bag. I find that pyjamas with the sleeves slightly too long stop her hands getting really cold at night. She still sleeps in our room.

I don't really worry about her arms being cold, because I know that they need to lose heat from their arms. I wouldn't check unless she woke up and then I would feel her hands and her nose, and the back of her neck. She is usually warm as toast, even though we don't have any heating in the bedroom.

~ Do you use a room thermometer or use touch to gauge temperature? We do have a thermometer in the bedroom, but I don't usually look at it for the inside temperature in the winter - I might in the summer when it is really hot though (it also shows the outside temperature, which is really what we have it for). I adjust pyjamas according to how cold I feel it is/will be overnight.

I do use a baby sleeping bag and I know they shouldn't have arms. I have been thinking of giving her a feather duvet instead this winter, but I think I'll wait until she moves from a cot to a bed.

I think it is quite a good idea in theory, but I probably wouldn't buy one - my daughter gets through so many pairs of pyjamas by spilling breakfast down them, nappy leaking etc etc, so I wouldn't be able to afford it. Also I can't be bothered with all the poppers on babygrows, so I don't use them anyway, it's pyjamas all the way here after about 6 months or so.

DialMforMummy Tue 13-Nov-12 19:26:15

I dont find it too difficult, I follow the instructions given on the Grobag label.

Sometimes but I know it does not mean anything. I feel their neck to judge.

Yes, the carton one given with the Grobag.

Yes, and no I did not know there was regulations about that.

I think it might helpful for people who have a cold house but I doubt I'll buy one as my house is normally warm enough, and when I stay somewhere colder, I put a long sleeves bodysuit as well as pjs. Also, how does it work with the regulations? Surely if it's cold you need more togs on the grobag? confused

We live in a draughty small Victorian house with original single glazed sash windows, it's bloody freezing at night. Both of my babies are January born and I was constantly stressing about keeping them warm. DD2 is still only 10 months so I'm stressing about it again.

Yes I worry if her arms are cold. Her hands always are. I'm fat a warm person so I'm a rubbish judge of temperature and usually end up asking DH if it's cold as most of the time I'm boiling. I rely on her cold hands telling me or a hand on her neck to judge her temperature.

Touch. We do have a thermometer on the baby monitor but we co-sleep so don't use it at the moment.

Yes, have used sleeping bags with both from birth. Love them, wouldn't consider blankets etc. Did not know about the sleeves thing, have seen a couple of bags that include sleeves and have liked the look of them.

I think it's a nice idea but I'm guessing you'd need a good few of them, one for every night and they're probably expensive <checks> Yes, £15 for two as opposed to a pack of 5 sleep suits for a tenner.

Interesting idea though, would give them a try.

Your overall views and experiences of keeping your baby (or your child when they were a baby) warm at night

It is very hard to decide whether or not a baby is an ideal temperature. I knew that you are supposed to check the baby's chest rather than hands but sometimes you fret over them being too hot or too cold.

Did you or do you worry about your baby's arms being cold at night? How do you judge if they are cold or too warm?

Yes, of course. I felt baby's hands, arms and chest to judge if they were too cold or too warm.

Do you use a room thermometer or use touch to gauge temperature?

I found that room thermometers weren't always accurate so I found that using touch to gauge temperature was better.

Do you use a baby sleeping bag? Are you aware that to comply with British Safety regulations, baby sleeping bags should not have sleeves/arms?

I use a baby sleeping bag now with my second child but didn't with my first.
No, I wasn't aware.

What do you think about this new product? Do you think it's something you'd use in the winter months as an alternative to a standard baby gro?

I think it's a great alternative and much safer to use than blankets alone or a baby sleeping bag with additional layers. I would definitely use this product as an alternative.

EdgarAllanPond Tue 13-Nov-12 20:17:40

with my first born in s heatwave of 2007, it was hard to keep her cool enough, but i stayed awake alot and was happy to put her in just a nappy and touch her skin to check (it was boiling!!) - later babies i have a rough idea of which things need to go on to get the right temperature/ how warm the house should be.

this is mostly a problem for older babies who don't sleep in our room, and therefore aren't checked through the night. yes, i did want a bag with arms - i looked for one and found jojomamanbebe did one, but it was expensive so i didn't get it. (got extra padded Tchibo one instead, and put them in a sleeved babygro under sleepsuit)

touch.

i only use them rarely for newborns, but over 6 months - 2 years all the time. I did not know regulations were against them having sleeves.

yes, i would use such a thing. have already looked! so long as my small one was happy (they only stop getting sleeping bagged when they start unzipping them themselves.)

MummyAbroad Tue 13-Nov-12 20:40:57

It became a major concern because it was really obvious that the drop in temperature at night was waking him up - it became a total mission to fix the problem in order to get more sleep. (BTW I am a British ex pat living abroad in a warm weather country, it was always warm in the early evening when we put him to sleep - to warm for covers which he would kick off, but then the temp dropped later and he would wake up cold!

I used a gro-bag style thing (not the grobag brand) that did have arms, I wasnt aware that these werent recommended.

I used a cardboard one, but it always read the same temperature so I didnt trust it, I think I should have spent more money on a better one!

When my little one was younger, yes I used one and it had arms, I didnt know about the British safety regs.

Now that I am aware of the safety issues, yes I would definately look at this as an option.

MikeOxard Tue 13-Nov-12 21:05:09

The recommended temperature always seemed too cold. I would be chilly when it was supposed to be warm enough for a tiny baby!

With dd, my first baby, I worried a lot about that, I would feel the back of her neck to make sure she was warm enough, but her hands would often feel cold. My ds, second baby, cosleeps so I know he is as warm as I am all night.

Both

Do you use a baby sleeping bag?
Not yet for ds, but I used one with dd from newborn.

Are you aware that to comply with British Safety regulations, baby sleeping bags should not have sleeves/arms?
No, I wondered why I could never find one with sleeves.

Possibly. I used to put a cardigan on dd which worked well so it would depend how it compared against that. If it looked warmer, more comfortable, safer etc then I would definately consider buying one alongside a sleeping bag.

GetKnitted Tue 13-Nov-12 21:31:15

yes we did, usually judged by own temperature, thermometer, or check temperature at top of body, near neck.
yes, a gardening thermometer, (min, max) so that we could tell if it had been really cold at any point in the night.
~ Do you use a baby sleeping bag? Are you aware that to comply with British Safety regulations, baby sleeping bags should not have sleeves/arms? we did for a while, but not the whole time. tended to use thick onesies instead, probably made for outdoors.
~ What do you think about this new product? Do you think it's something you'd use in the winter months as an alternative to a standard baby gro? I think it's a good idea, given the restraints of the regulations, but wouldn't probably have been enough to change our tactic of thick onesies.

hytheliz Tue 13-Nov-12 21:44:26

I've always used sleeping bags but have worried they're not warm enough because the togs are low (2.5 tog) compared to our duvet (13 tog) in the winter.
Yes, I have worried about that. I use room thermometer to check the room is warm enough.
Room thermometer
Yes I always use sleeping bags for my two babies. I didn't know about that regulation.
I'd be quite interested in something that involves sleeves.

~ Did you or do you worry about your baby's arms being cold at night? How do you judge if they are cold or too warm? I did initially but she refused to have her arms tucked in, then I figured if her body was warm she would be okay. I use to feel just inside her back or front to see if her body was warm/cold/too hot.
~ Do you use a room thermometer or use touch to gauge temperature? We had a room thermometer on the monitor but never really checked it. Touch was much more reliable.
~ Do you use a baby sleeping bag? Are you aware that to comply with British Safety regulations, baby sleeping bags should not have sleeves/arms? Yes, grobags until the girls potty trained at night. If figured they didn't have arms for a reason but wasn't aware of legislation.
~ What do you think about this new product? Do you think it's something you'd use in the winter months as an alternative to a standard baby gro? Yes definitely.

Starshaped Tue 13-Nov-12 22:14:22

We live in a really warm flat, so I tend to worry about DD being too hot rather than too cold. When it did get cold winter, I just followed the Gro-Egg advice and added a long sleeved vest under her sleepsuit. DD is quite a wriggler in her sleep, so I've loved used sleeping bags - it's meant I've not had to worry about her wriggling free of her covers and getting cold.

No, I've tended not worry about her arms being cold. I love being snug in my duvet but often wake up with arms sticking out of it without feeling cold. I've therefore worked on the assumption that it would be the same for a baby.
I judge how warm they are at night by feeling their torso and checking the temperature of the room.

Both. We have a Gro-Egg in the room but also use touch if we're worried it's too hot/cold.

Yes and yes.

I love baby sleeping bags but probably wouldn't buy the new product because it isn't something I've felt that we've needed so far. If I was really worried about DD's hands and arms being cold, I would rather just add an extra long sleeved layer under her pyjamas.

loubielou31 Tue 13-Nov-12 23:20:17

I did use baby sleeping bags, the best one I had was one that had a vent at the back and so could be used in car seats or push chairs. Brilliant. As small babies they slept in our room and so if it felt warm enough for us it would have been warm enough for her too.

I didn't worry about this too much. I was told by my lovely health visitor to feel the back of their neck rather than their hands as a guide to whether or not they're warm enough.

I did have a thermometer in the bed room but pretty quickly just get to know if it feels warm enough in there or not. I can usually tell when my children have a temperature by kissing their foreheads and use an ear thermometer to check how high it is.

I definitely didn't know that baby sleeping bags shouldn't have sleeves. Why is this the case?

If I thought it was particularly cold I would just put a long sleeved vest as well as a sleep suit or perhaps a little cardigan on under the sleeping bag. I think the price of the product would mostly determine whether or not I bought it.

ICutMyFootOnOccamsRazor Wed 14-Nov-12 00:01:21

I often thought the children were too cold at night. Even if the room felt ok their hands would feel chilly.

I'd feel hands and faces to judge their temperature. Although their arms felt cold they'd be soundly asleep, so it didn't really worry me except on the coldest nights.

Touch. Never had a room thermometer.

Yes, used them constantly when the children were under one, and was just talking yesterday about maybe getting another one for the winter for the 17 month old, as she's a chronic blanket-hater. I didn't know about the sleeves thing, but have never seen a bag with sleeves.

Depending on the cost, yes, I'd definitely be interested to try one.

MrsHoarder Wed 14-Nov-12 01:17:23

When it wasn't always cold had a lot of worry about how many layers to put on as didn't want to disturb DS to put more clothes on

I worry a bit, and put a long-sleeved bodysuit under his sleepsuit when its very cold to keep his arms warmer

Touch, we sleep in the same room so can feel what the temperature is like

We do use a baby sleeping bag, I wasn't aware that it was a British standard that they shouldn't have arms but as DS always wriggles his arms out when under blankets I assume he likes them cooler.

I don't think I'd use it, it sounds more difficult to wash than a standard baby gro which live in the washing machine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now