Hi, my son (8) is not yet diagnosed but almost certainly has (not particularly severe) ASD.
We are awaiting OT for sensory stuff and PT for tiptoe walking, and we are currently trying recommendations from ensuresis nurse.
I have the DLA form but am not sure whether to apply now since we aren't doing much therapy with him yet. He does need reminding several times to do the most well-established routines, and there are other things like dealing with the anxiety. But I'm not sure I spend a full hour a day 'caring' for him in the strict non-NT sense at the moment.
Should I wait til OT and PT start and complete the form then? Or just go for it now and see? Can you revisit or update requirements later?
It is a whopper of a form and an emotional process so I will reserve my limited energy if it is best to wait.
How soon are your OT and physio assessments. I ask because if they are imminent you could ring for a form now and then you have about 6 weeks to return it and they'll backdate to the day you request it. Whilst it is needs based it really does help to have supporting information, especially with the government's target to cut DLA claims
Okay, so we have had the physio appt and we have to do about 20 minutes of physio a day, plus the constant reminders to drink (eneuresis clinic) plus managing the anxiety about school and other bits, so I think it is worth applying now.