Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Toilet training seats

(15 Posts)
salondon Fri 05-Apr-13 23:29:41

Could I get a recommendation for a toilet training seat and stool please? My daughter (3.5) is quite scared of the toilet so I am looking for something which is quite sturdy. She sits on the potty however I am looking for an option to sit her directly on the toilet.

vjg13 Sat 06-Apr-13 08:13:19

We had the baby bjorn one from john lewis which had a dial so you could adjust it to fit any seat exactly and it doesn't slip. A little step stool to rest feet on helped too.

SallyBear Sat 06-Apr-13 08:31:20

I would really recommend this one from John Lewis. It's sturdy and you can lock the little seat into the lid when they've out grown it. We still have ours! A step from ikea is quite cheap and reasonably sturdy.

PolterGooseLaidAChocolateEgg Sat 06-Apr-13 09:05:02

We had a seat like the one Sallybear has linked to, and a step like this one I don't think we'd have succeeded (at nearly 4) without very sturdy seat and step.

salondon Sat 06-Apr-13 09:11:52

How high is that stool, Potter?

PolterGooseLaidAChocolateEgg Sat 06-Apr-13 10:48:17

I can't remember how high, but ds was quite short!

Emily7708 Sat 06-Apr-13 10:48:39

We have got this all in one type:

It's really great, I can't recommend it enough.

salondon Sat 06-Apr-13 23:23:03

Is it wobbly on the legs? I am worried about the space factor too

PolterGooseLaidAChocolateEgg Sat 06-Apr-13 23:32:50

The step wasn't wobbly at all. It is big, and our bathroom was teeny, but ds needed a solid seat and step to have any chance at using the toilet, so the loss of floor space really wasn't a priority, because the slightest hit of instability caused terrible panic/fear, so it was worth it for us!

zzzzz Sun 07-Apr-13 00:19:57

We used an old wooden wine box (ask in off licence, if they don't have one they should be able to point you towards someone who does) for the step, wider and firmer than anything on sale and stands on end when not needed.

For the seat, change your loosest for one with a smaller one in the lid and avoid all wobble.

Nb standing and peeing on a Cheerio gives you something to aim for and can be flushed.

zzzzz Sun 07-Apr-13 00:20:39

Loo seat!!

Yarnie Mon 15-Apr-13 14:50:17

My son has ASD and we did very intensive toilet training over a week, so I was looking for a super-comfortable, unscary training seat. This one did the trick for us:

It is very big and squishy, so it will need to be replaced with something lighter and more portable in time.

It totally did the trick for us. Our boy loves his creature comforts and I think our success in toilet training was in no small part to having that seat.

We used this step, which is very sturdy:

It's cheaper elsewhere, but that link has the dimensions on.

We did have to train our son on to a smaller seat after a few months (the Tippitoes one), but it only took a day.

LondonJax Mon 15-Apr-13 21:08:48

We bought one similar to Sallybear but by a different company Very, very sturdy - made of wood. In fact it's better than the plastic ones we've had for adults before as it doesn't move about. Then we got a plastic box type step for DS - he now wears it as a helmet (I have cleaned it well grin)

salondon Wed 17-Apr-13 10:57:30

I have got the one from John Lewis. We still have to open it, however, I have a horrible feeling its not going to fit our oval toiletsad

iAutism Thu 18-Apr-13 15:52:05

For the foot stool OT came and measured the height required and tailor made the stool. Heavy solid wood with rubber top.

We now use an Ikea one. We already had 12 and they are excellent for all sorts of activity I.e. Play, Balance, stepping stones and of course toilet , bathroom and kitchen stool. They are well made and have a nice texture on top. They also can be stacked and best of all they are cheap smile

I would measure up first and then shop around

Autism Resource Centre - Early Intervention

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now