Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Have you been affected by the child benefit cut?

(35 Posts)
OwlLady Mon 07-Jan-13 18:53:36

My dh earns just over the threshold but I don't or rather can't work at all because of having a severely disabled daughter. aibu to send David Cameron a spreadsheet detailing my contribution? seeing as I have opted out of claiming as he says, I quote "I'm not saying those people are rich, but I think it is right that they make a contribution"

as a sahm and carer of a severely disabled child who I will have to care for into my old age I am absolutely incensed by this comment. So should I as a Mother and carer detail via a spreadsheet how much I save the economy by caring for my daughter and then ask him to join me on newsnight to explain what contribution he feels I and people like me are not making?

was anyone else annoyed by this?

(and btw this is not a woe is me, I think I am so poor thread wink just a how bloody DARE heshock)

Sorry, just looked it up - its not based on family income, so you could be with someone earning a decent amount. Wish I'd known that when I gave up work to look after ds!

MovingOnNow Wed 09-Jan-13 16:01:39

Hi can someone tell me if I would be affected. My oh earns not much below 50K but he has a company car, does this affect what is classed as his earnings? He also got a bit of a bonus this year which might tip him over 50K. Would they have written to us or is it up to us to sort it out? Confused. I don't work, well I do a tiny bit from home and get CA at the moment for my son though this is only approved til he is 6 depending on outcomes of his assessments.

bigbluebus Wed 09-Jan-13 17:12:52

You can get Carers Allowance as long as you don't earn more than £100pw yourself. Your partner's income is not taken into account...........yet!

OwlLady Wed 09-Jan-13 17:26:01

yes yet. I bet it will be the next thing on their list hmm and I really haven't got a cat in hells chance of working again if I am realistic.

movingout, we were not sent a letter either but I didn't want them to carry on paying it if we can't claim as I am hopeless with money through lack of time mostly so just opted out online. I am sure if you ring them and ask they will talk you through it

auntevil Wed 09-Jan-13 17:36:25

We didn't get a letter - but DH got the info from work. It did explain the logistics of how anyone self assessed would fare financially if they took the option to opt out or have it re-claimed.
If anyone wants a copy of the letter I can PM it.
All it has done to me is make me determined this year that I will claim DLA for DS1. I keep putting it off, thinking that we are OK off financially.
I think that I might be in the minority of those who are in the income bracket to opt out, but I spent all the CB on the DSs. I have been spending my PT pittance on care home fees for my DM. Something has to give - sorry DSs

googlyeyes Wed 09-Jan-13 17:46:44

Several people I know didn't receive a letter (which was more of an information sheet) despite high incomes. They will still have to pay the money back if they don't opt out of claiming. The onus is on you to find out whether your family is still entitled to claim.

I still can't believe it's all happened, despite the ludicrous inequity of it all. It's just gone ahead with much grumbling but little real protest, as they hoped it would.

And forgive my naivete but didn't the Tories state they wouldn't fuck with CB in their manifesto?

Grrrrr. I just hope to God that people don't forget this come election time, but in 2.5yrs it will prob be v old news....

OwlLady Wed 09-Jan-13 17:49:37

yes, he also said that those parents with severely disabled children would not be affected by any cuts as well
weird how it's happened at a local authority level as well

also they were all for 'traditional families' and then says that people with a single income of 50k per housegold or more need to contribute more.

auntevil Wed 09-Jan-13 18:02:30

googlyeyes - yes Cameron looked straight into the camera pre election and said he would not mess with CB.
I remember turning to DH at the time and telling him that he was lying. You could tell by the look on his face.

bochead Wed 09-Jan-13 18:24:18

As a lone parent of a child who only qualifies for MR DLA I'm furious at Camerloon right now. Everything he touches turns to dross as far as I'm concerned!

Due to the additional costs associated with finding childcare for disabled kids, I can only work full time IF my salary will take me over the child benefit cut off mark. Families with disabled kids are also increasingly finding their outgoings are increasing to to the cutbacks within the NHS and social care sector for essential therapies, equipment and support, just as DLA is about to be slashed under Universal Credit. Many children I've met on the MR DLA rate are "severely disabled", given that the HR criteria is based on night time care only.

I "contributed" 40% tax rate for years before DS's needs became to great for standard childcare facilities. After being forced out of the workforce for a few years by my caring responsibilities I've been looking forward to rejoining the workforce. CB & DLA was going to be put towards the extortionate childcare costs. Families like mine are worst hit as I have no second adult to help defray the caring responsibilities, turn take for appointment attendance, do the odd school pick up in an emergency etc.

I was REALLY looking forward to returning to work, in large part to reduce the awful sense of social isolation that comes with being a lone parent of a disabled child.

£20 child benefit per week for an only child may seem like pocket change to Camerloon, but for families like mine it represents a week's groceries, and I just don't see any evidence that he "gets" that. A salary of £50-£60K is very good but hardly provides a household income sufficient to provide a champagne lifestyle in high housing cost areas such as London, once disability childcare and non-NHS therapy costs are taken into account.

Deffo agree on the previous posters comments about single parents of disabled kids having yet another barrier placed in front of them in the quest to find a new partner too.

The way I see it this gubberment is hell bent on screwing societies most vulnerable families on all fronts at any cost right now.

Eliza22 Wed 09-Jan-13 18:58:18

The whole thing is, as my granny would have declared "arse-uppards".

Someone made a good point about single mums with a disabled child and their being seen as a burden in any future relationships. I too met a good man. He works hard/long hours. I worked as a nurse for 26 years before being unable to continue shifts whilst attending to my son's needs. I get Carer's Allowance. Ds gets HRC and LRM. As a single mum (my ex husband left 3 weeks after ds was diagnosed aged 4)) I did receive benefits. However, when four years later I married DH, obviously, all of that ceased, as it should.

Bur I feel really bad. Dh working so hard means I am available to tend to MY son. DH is a great step dad but DS IS NOT HIS SON. My ex and his partner earn 80k combined. They have no children. My ex pays the minimum recommended maintenance payment.

I think Mr Cameron is a disgrace. It feels like everything the Tories said they would categorically not do, they are now doing or planning to do.

Perhaps I have lived my life wrongly? I have worked from age 17. I'm now 50+. When I needed it, for a short period of time, the State helped me. I have one child. I had/have a mortgage, never spent beyond my means, did extra work when I was able (with an agency) to pull in more cash when needed. I paid into a pension (as advised) and my DH makes makes contributions to it now, on my behalf. Perhaps I ought to have had ten kids to three different fathers, never worked and sat with my hand out, all my life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now