This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

I need a frequent use back carrier for a 17 month old. The ergo just isn't up to it.

(12 Posts)
ShowOfHands Wed 06-Feb-13 11:07:48

I'm bitterly disappointed that I'm going to have to give up on my ergo. I carried dd in it for years and have happily carried ds in a front carry but I'm bloody short and can't see past him any longer. For some inexplicable reason it won't work in a back carry. It's the chest strap. It won't tighten enough. At its shortest, I still have to shove both hands in it and pull it forwards to ensure ds isn't pulling backwards away from me. It's really painful and I need my hands for herding the 5yo on a 4 mile school run. I can only assume it no longer suits me. I was a size 10/12 when dd was in a back carry. Am a size 8 now and it just will not tighten enough. It's the only difference I can think of.

So what are my options? Money is a real issue. I still have two woven wraps tucked away. Is it worth digging them back out? I only stopped using them once ds was in my beloved ergo fulltime. Is a back carry with a 2 stone 17 month old comfy in a wrap? Mei tai from ebay?

AbbyCat Wed 06-Feb-13 11:10:02

I prefer mei tai's anyway and carried DS up to 16m. Only sipped as I was 5m pg! Personally I don't get along with the ergo and find mei tai's more comfy. Can't you get one to borrow from a sling library? Then you an work out if it makes sense to buy or not?

sleepyhead Wed 06-Feb-13 11:12:55

Would you consider something more structured like a Little Life carrier? Dh carried ds up a mountain in one when he was 4...

They're not cheap to buy new but I don't know what the secondhand market is like.

sleepyhead Wed 06-Feb-13 11:13:57
ShowOfHands Wed 06-Feb-13 11:23:19

I've looked at structured carriers and apart from the prohibitive cost, they're ultra bulky and I live in a tiny cottage with no storage, when ds wants to walk I'd have to keep the thing on my back (ergo/wraps were light and fold up in my bag if necessary) and they'd be a bugger on the bus I suspect.

Sling meet is 20 miles away and during an afternoon. I don't drive and couldn't get a bus there and back in time for the school run.

MollyNollyNoo Sat 09-Feb-13 16:05:36

If funds are a factor a connecta may be good, they have started doing toddler sized ones and you can make an order for one with petite straps. I really want one but need to sell my smaller slings first.

Or there is a toddler sized Tula, they are pretty much the same sort of shape as the ergo but without the pocket on the front and you can't do a hip carry (which I don't know about you but I never did anyway with the ergo). Love to be natural has Tulas on their website.

When I was a good sized 16 my ergo fitted me really well but when my baby weight came off it would slip off the shoulders. The tula is a lovely fit, I'm not a size 8 but the straps have an adjuster which lets you shorten them.

I've also got a melkaj, its a mai tai, it gets rave reviews and is pretty reasonable at about £85 ish. It's really comfortable. Or you could get one of your wraps converted into a SSC or Mai Tai. You would find more infomation about that on the Natural Mamas website.

VinegarDrinker Sat 09-Feb-13 16:09:15

I think you really need to play with carriers IRL. Or do a "try before you buy" from petitpoppet.co.UK or postal loan from a sling library.

My Manduca chest strap tightens more than I have ever needed it to, but I am 5'9" and a size 14...

fraktion Sat 09-Feb-13 16:20:03

I have the same problem with an ergo unless it's over bulky clothes. Try with your wovens - what lengths do you have?

I find I can carry 21m but size of a 3yo DS comfortably in a double hammock using a 7 or a reinforced ruck with a 5 (but I like swishy tails).

Rockchick1984 Sun 10-Feb-13 15:41:40

Back carry with a woven wrap is incredibly comfortable, YouTube is your friend for learning different carries until you find one that suits you (double hammock is my favourite). Mei tai from eBay is unlikely to be comfortable or supportive enough for this age/weight as they aren't tested to the same standards as ergo's and other branded carriers.

Depending on budget, you could sell the ergo and put the money towards something like a Madam GooGoo with petite straps - she has a Facebook page and can customise a carrier for around £100.

pootlebug Mon 11-Feb-13 22:16:37

I am bigger than you (size 10 and 5'5) and have the Ergo on pretty much the shortest straps, so I can see it might be too big on you.

I would go with your woven wraps. It might take a bit more practice to get comfy but once you crack it it's definitely comfy with bigger kids. I still carry my 35lb-ish 3 year old and nearly 5 year old in a woven on my back from time to time.

I wouldn't go with an ebay mei tai. Mei tais vary hugely - they look deceptively simple but some can be amazing and others hopeless....not padded enough, badly put together, not reinforced enough.

If you still want buckles I would sell the Ergo and wraps and use the funds to buy a carrier with petite straps (the petite refers to you rather than your LO) - a petite strap toddler kinderpack would fit the bill well. Not cheap but will hold value well, especially if you buy 2nd hand in the first place.

RainbowsFriend Sun 17-Feb-13 09:21:36

Action Baby Carrier toddler size is quite good. DP uses a medium wompat but she's just beyond knee to knee now at 19 months so maybe toddler size?

Tulas are great as well but I've never used them, but have friends who have.

Personally I just use my wovens smile

mysweetie Sun 24-Mar-13 01:49:46

I agree with the Action Baby Carrier I'm 5'2,110lbs and using this since DD is 3months, though even my nephews(kids) can use this. ABC is a lightweight SSC so it is even cooler and more comfy for babies compared to the bulky ones. If your in doubt you can check this article How Small, How Big? , Hope this helps! Goodluck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now