Note: This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Cooking and baby-wearing

(10 Posts)
weaverofmetals Sun 03-Feb-13 12:04:35

Thanks everyone! I got my Connecta last week, and love it! It was such a lovely day yesterday when I did my Saturday morning chores with DD strapped on my back -- and actually finished them! Normally I barely get through any what with having to chase after/divert/pick up and cuddle DD. I think this will be a major improvement.

Bearhugs43 Mon 28-Jan-13 22:30:58

Another vote for connecta from me!

geekette Mon 28-Jan-13 22:25:41

can you rent them for a trial first? can't remember what website proposes this.

you may also be interested in an abc (action baby carrier ) it's like the connecta but with a thicker hip belt.

weaverofmetals Mon 28-Jan-13 21:58:04

There is a sling meet about an hour away, but I it's only once a month and I managed to miss it each month during mat leave, and now I'm back full time and can't make the midday, midweek time. I suspect I'm going to have to order something on the internet and hope it is good! I'm guessing I can't go too wrong. The Connecta is looking pretty good...

Gingersnap88 Sun 27-Jan-13 17:08:03

I have an ergo and pop DD on my back or hip when cooking (or in her high chair if she's patient). Obviously depends on the age or your DC though smile

BertieBotts Sun 27-Jan-13 10:55:47

You need a very supportive sling but back carries are the most supportive kind of carry you can do.

Do you have a sling meet locally? That would be the best thing.

weaverofmetals Sun 27-Jan-13 10:47:14

I'm hoping that as long as she's central, a back carry should be okay. I can't carry her for too long, but hopefully long enough to make a meal!

She's almost 10mo, so I'd like something I can continue to use for a while...

Good point about the straps and flame, we do have a gas hob.

geekette Sun 27-Jan-13 10:37:25

I just got a connecta to carry my lo on my back so I can cook and clean properly.

I still find it hard to get her on my back by myself... but once she is there it is great.

how old is your wee one? will your SPD let you carry her on your back? (not with the Moby though! )

BertieBotts Sun 27-Jan-13 10:26:06

A Mei Tai or soft structured carrier would work - just make sure any ties are tied at the back or tucked in securely so that they can't dangle and potentially catch on pan handles or flames if you use a gas hob.

Also you'd have to be careful of LO's feet which is why sideways is better, but it is possible to cook safely with a child on your back!

weaverofmetals Sun 27-Jan-13 10:22:31

DD loves being held/worn, and I like carrying her -- but I have lingering SPD problems from pregnancy so can only wear her in a very central manner to not put asymmetric strain on my pelvis.

I'd really like to be able wear her while cooking -- I have been using my moby wrap with her in the front, but that is only good for some things, as I don't want her to be in front of anything splashy or spitty, and she's starting to get interested in grabbing at things, too.

My friends tell me they hold their baby on their hip and stand sideways to the stove, but that won't work for me. So I'm thinking something on the back would be good?

Does anyone have advice for what sort of carrier would work?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now