This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

How young can you use an Ergo without the baby insert?

(12 Posts)
RooneyMara Thu 24-Jan-13 18:01:17

Just ordered an Ergo (and hope it isn't fake, having realised that they exist!) and considering the baby insert thing but ds is 3 weeks old - will I need this?

Thanks smile

MollyNollyNoo Fri 25-Jan-13 09:43:14

You will until they are about 4/5 months or so old, depends on the size of your LO when they no longer need it but at 3 weeks you definitely do.

Where did you order from?

RooneyMara Fri 25-Jan-13 10:37:05

Thankyou...brilliant advice.

I realised after I'd posted that the website I got it from was indeed a dodgy one - am trying to stop the payment going through but bank says I'll have to wait 15 days and do a chargeback. Yikes sad

I've ordered another one from a proper site - Babys-mart - along with the insert, now.

I think 2 hours of sleep a night is not doing my brain any favours - it's so obviously dodgy and I have not been caught out like that before.

MN044 Fri 25-Jan-13 10:39:42

You might find an ergo isn't the best option for such a little one. I swear by my Ergo, but only once they're 5 months old or so. Until then you might be best to try a stretchy wrap like a Moby or a Kari Me. I considered buying the infant insert for our Ergo this time round but it just looks too uncomfy for everyyone involved, though I'm happy to be put right on that one. It'll probably cost you about the same as the insert anyway.

RooneyMara Fri 25-Jan-13 10:43:06

Well the ergo on this site was £76, the insert 15.99 - I rang them up and sounds genuine.

I'll give it a try and let you know! Meanwhile I've got a Close wrap and a wallaboo, he's a bit hit and miss about whether he'll go in them but I do like them at the moment.

Btw for other people's information, the dodgy site is ergouk.co.uk and comes up on google when you search for an ergo. They were around £55-60 on there, the logo is official looking but website copy is dodgy as heck...why didn't I read it first. Such an eejit.

MN044 Fri 25-Jan-13 10:46:09

I've had a quick look and I hate to be a bearer of bad news but that sounds far too cheap. They don't appear to be on Ergo's approved stockist list either. Can you cancel this order too? I had the Close for ds1, I loved it too, but found the front band things not wide enough when he got a bit more wriggly.

RooneyMara Fri 25-Jan-13 10:57:34

Well you might be right but this time I've paid through paypal, so if it looks like the products are fake I'll be able to get he money back.

The woman on the phone sounded fine...but yes I couldn't see them on the approved list either. Most of those look american though? There's a few sites here that aren't on it - natural baby, peppermint etc.

RooneyMara Fri 25-Jan-13 10:58:19

Thankyou by the way - much appreciated!

MN044 Fri 25-Jan-13 11:01:18

It can be very hard to tell a fake one from what I understand. The only approved retailer that I know of is natural nursery, I don't even know if it's still going but that's where I got mine from, a few years ago now. I had to search high and low for a list of stockists too. I think if you go to naturalmamas.co.uk they'd be far more knowledgeable than me, I'm sure if you asked there they'd give you a pretty quick answer as to wether it's a trustworthy website. Makes me very cross actually that people sell counterfiet things where a baby's safety might be at risk.

MN044 Fri 25-Jan-13 11:02:46

Don't thank me, I'm literally pinned to the sofa under the weight of a poorly baby and a poorly 4 year old so I have nothing else useful to do! Congratulations by the way, it seems such a short time ago i had my own little squishy 3 week old, he's a 20 pound ball of snot right now!

RooneyMara Fri 25-Jan-13 11:08:39

Oh you poor thing! That sounds like hard work. Mind you I'm typing very carefully as ds is asleep on my lap and I daren't put him down!

Thankyou again, found the proper uk list and most are on there, babys mart ain't but then again they seem like a very established retailed. Not sure how they get their discounts though hmm

I've a few sites bookmarked with photos of fake vs real, if in any doubt I'll send it back. I think paying full price would have been a better idea!

Hope your poorly ones are better soon.

MollyNollyNoo Fri 25-Jan-13 11:33:20

I have found some great stockists through the Natural Mamas website/forum and know one of the ladies in person (I bought my ergo through her), the list of approved stockists seems odd to me because not all of these sellers (that I know are genuine) have been on the list when I have looked. One of these stockists has an ergo original at £83 in her January clearance so your price does sound do-able.

I think the newborn inserts are great for winter babies, not so sure I would have been as happy with a newborn in the summer. DC3 would snuggle up and fall asleep in the sling then I could take him out and keep him on the warm insert indoors and he would carry on sleeping. Lovely! I also loved the pocket on the front.

Hope it works out, if not have a look on natural mamas as there are a few more options available to get hold of a genuine one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now